The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Brexit ..... The Movie

Feel free to talk about anything that you want.

Re: Brexit ..... The Movie

Postby Robin Hood » Mon May 16, 2016 12:30 pm

Nothing on YouTube more than 2 minutes long supporting staying IN but I did find this article:

The overwhelming case against Brexit

If Brexiters succeed in pushing the UK out of the EU, they will have shut an important door to the rest of the world and endangered Britain’s economic future.

http://blog.oup.com/2016/05/brexit-british-economy-eu-trade/


That appears to be the gist of their argument but they don’t really explain why!

(Sorry Paphitis but I couldn’t find a link that didn’t have all those words that upset you so much like ..... banks, economy, economics, treasury and The BoE. Except for you, every other informed body seems to consider those subjects important ..... but there again I did say ‘informed’ bodies!)
Robin Hood
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2587
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Limassol

Re: Brexit ..... The Movie

Postby Paphitis » Mon May 16, 2016 12:33 pm

Robin Hood wrote:Nothing on YouTube more than 2 minutes long supporting staying IN but I did find this article:

The overwhelming case against Brexit

If Brexiters succeed in pushing the UK out of the EU, they will have shut an important door to the rest of the world and endangered Britain’s economic future.

http://blog.oup.com/2016/05/brexit-british-economy-eu-trade/


That appears to be the gist of their argument but they don’t really explain why!

(Sorry Paphitis but I couldn’t find a link that didn’t have all those words that upset you so much like ..... banks, economy, economics, treasury and The BoE. Except for you, every other informed body seems to consider those subjects important ..... but there again I did say ‘informed’ bodies!)


It's over Robin hood! it's over!

No one cares and no one wants to be talking about the banks all the time like a broken record or tolerate your rants against the West, NATO, Banks, Capitalism, 911 conspiracies or about the American plan to turn everyone into mutants with their chem-trail spraying program!

No one thinks the subject is important enough Robin Hood nor do they believe in any banking conspiracy Robin Hood.

It's over Robin Hood!
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20997
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Brexit ..... The Movie

Postby Pyrpolizer » Mon May 16, 2016 3:16 pm

Robin Hood wrote:Brexit .... The Movie.

Interesting documentary of how the EU works and the argument for UK ‘out’ vote,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTMxfAkxfQ0


It fails to address the issue why the EU has failed. It supports the idea that UK would be better off out of the EU but that's a myth, they will simply strangle the potential of their already low exports to the EU while nothing will change regarding their exports to the rest of the world.

For a start the EU was formed to provide a protective environment for EU products, just like the US had their own protective environment.The idea was to provide a shield mainly against cheap Chinese and other Asian products but also against the American ones, through a common taxation system while abolishing all taxes between member states.They finally realized such taxes can only reach a limit before actually promoting bad European quality, Vs better and cheaper Asian. Today most EU countries are actually net importers, and that's the reason the EU has failed.

UK will just cut half it's one foot by leaving the (already failed alright) EU because it will simply get self isolated.It should wait for the final dissolution of the EU. Unfortunately times have changed, both the EU and the US are on decline and there's no way back.
User avatar
Pyrpolizer
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 9096
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:33 pm

Re: Brexit ..... The Movie

Postby Robin Hood » Mon May 16, 2016 3:59 pm

Pyrpoliser:
It fails to address the issue why the EU has failed. It supports the idea that UK would be better off out of the EU but that's a myth, they will simply strangle the potential of their already low exports to the EU while nothing will change regarding their exports to the rest of the world.

As I understood what the video guy was saying, it was having to conform to all these EU restrictive practices and the application of tariffs that prevents the UK exporting freely. Maybe I got it wrong?
For a start the EU was formed to provide a protective environment for EU products, just like the US had their own protective environment. The idea was to provide a shield mainly against cheap Chinese and other Asian products but also against the American ones, through a common taxation system while abolishing all taxes between member states.They finally realized such taxes can only reach a limit before actually promoting bad European quality, Vs better and cheaper Asian. Today most EU countries are actually net importers, and that's the reason the EU has failed.

I agree with that sentiment. Whilst the protective environment initially protected European manufacturers from cheap imports, the same protectionism has destroyed the very society they wanted to create.
UK will just cut half it's one foot by leaving the (already failed alright) EU because it will simply get self isolated. It should wait for the final dissolution of the EU. Unfortunately times have changed, both the EU and the US are on decline and there's no way back.

The choice as I see it is that either the UK stays and goes down with Europe as a whole or they split and go down on their own but at least having their destiny in their own hands. I have no doubt, having seen on TV the threats from our European partners, that they will make things as difficult as possible and that they, in turn, have the backing of other powerful countries outside the EU who will do exactly the same. We have seen that with Obama’s unprecedented ‘advice’. Either way the UK is screwed, whether they stay or leave.

As you say, Europe and the US are in decline as economic powers, but at the moment they dominate the weapons markets, the financial markets and (dare I mention it :? :wink: ) the international banking system. But the Russians and the Chinese are well on the way to the finalisation of a financial system which will not be allied to the US dollar but will trade in national currencies. I think the likely hood of a collapse of financial markets and the banking system if the UK leaves, is what concerns the US? Such turmoil can only add credence and enhance the Asian/Russian system.

Interesting times but very disturbing. :(
Robin Hood
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2587
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Limassol

Re: Brexit ..... The Movie

Postby Paphitis » Mon May 16, 2016 4:01 pm

Pyrpolizer wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:Brexit .... The Movie.

Interesting documentary of how the EU works and the argument for UK ‘out’ vote,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTMxfAkxfQ0


It fails to address the issue why the EU has failed. It supports the idea that UK would be better off out of the EU but that's a myth, they will simply strangle the potential of their already low exports to the EU while nothing will change regarding their exports to the rest of the world.

For a start the EU was formed to provide a protective environment for EU products, just like the US had their own protective environment.The idea was to provide a shield mainly against cheap Chinese and other Asian products but also against the American ones, through a common taxation system while abolishing all taxes between member states.They finally realized such taxes can only reach a limit before actually promoting bad European quality, Vs better and cheaper Asian. Today most EU countries are actually net importers, and that's the reason the EU has failed.

UK will just cut half it's one foot by leaving the (already failed alright) EU because it will simply get self isolated.It should wait for the final dissolution of the EU. Unfortunately times have changed, both the EU and the US are on decline and there's no way back.


Others are on the rise - Canada, Australia, Japan, Germany, South Korea and France.

Whatever slack the EU or US leave behind, is picked up elsewhere. Net result is the same as we are just one big family. It's not just the EU on its own accord. Its EU/NATO/ASEAN etc etc.

Btw, protectionism was thrown out a long time ago. There is virtually free trade between most countries now in the EU and China, USA, Australia, Canada, Japan you name it. External goods and services are not being restricted in entering the EU and likewise EU goods and services are not been restricted outside of the EU. it's a free marketplace.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20997
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Brexit ..... The Movie

Postby Robin Hood » Mon May 16, 2016 4:04 pm

Paphitis,

If you want to participate in conversation with normal adults ....... TRY GROWING UP. You are becoming an embarrassment and making yourself look an even bigger idiot than you have managed to do so far!

RH.
Robin Hood
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2587
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Limassol

Re: Brexit ..... The Movie

Postby Paphitis » Mon May 16, 2016 4:07 pm

Personally, things couldn't be better. Its exciting times.

And I don't believe Europe is on the decline. This is just a mini depression which btw is not even being fault too much in Asia apart from a couple of blips on their Share Market.

Many countries are very well placed and fully integrated with the Chinese and other Asian Markets and it is gonna be fantastic! :D
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20997
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Brexit ..... The Movie

Postby Paphitis » Mon May 16, 2016 4:09 pm

Hah! Mr doom and gloom or so you wish.

What is happening today is NOTHING new. it's just a cycle which is effecting Europe and which Europe will overcome in due course.

The USA and Asian Economies are far more robust, and have weathered it very well.

Don't ever think it is in anyone's interest to see Europe go down. We will pump Trillions to pump them up if we have to and there is plenty of money to be able to do it.

We still need to buy expensive German and Italian Cars.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20997
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Brexit ..... The Movie

Postby Get Real! » Mon May 16, 2016 4:11 pm

It’s not possible to draw any comparisons unless one knows the post-EU arrangements that Britain will have negotiated and entered into.

It will all come down to the “privileged partnership” arrangements that Britain will have negotiated to replace this “exit”… and even then it will be a mammoth task to make/calculate before/after comparisons.
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40524
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Brexit ..... The Movie

Postby Paphitis » Mon May 16, 2016 4:17 pm

Get Real! wrote:It’s not possible to draw any comparisons unless one knows the post-EU arrangements that Britain will have negotiated and entered into.

It will all come down to the “privileged partnership” arrangements that Britain will have negotiated to replace this “exit”… and even then it will be a mammoth task to make/calculate before/after comparisons.


They will have special status in all likelihood.

I also seriously doubt the world will cave in for Britain. The rest of the world is still going to trade with Britain and invest.

Obama was just assisting Cameron with the scare campaign, nothing more. Also because the USA doesn't want the BREXIT and neither do many other countries like Canada and Australia who use the British Government as a friendly voice in the EU Parliament to further expand their interests in trade. But even if they do leave, it's not as if the USA, Australia and Canada are high and dry.

They have too many friends in the EU - France, Germany, Austria, Holland are always very receptive.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20997
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests