The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Brexit ..... The Movie

Feel free to talk about anything that you want.

Re: Brexit ..... The Movie

Postby Paphitis » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:53 pm

Tim Drayton wrote:
Paphitis wrote:
Now, if every man and their dog are able to negotiate a FTA with the EU, including USA and Australia, there is no reason why the UK will not have a FTA.


Yes, but that is not exactly the point. The devil is in the detail. There will certainly be some kind of trade deal between the UK and the EU, but how advantageous for the UK will its terms be? I think it is totally nuts for a country the size of the UK (and let's face it - in the modern world only a few countries can exercise full sovereignty in the world and I am afraid that the UK is not one of them) to walk out of the largest trade block in the world that is on its own doorstep.


That is a real shame to think that way Tim.

Britain is a big country with a big economy. One of the biggest. Sure it isn't as big as USA or China but who is?

If Britain isn't a country that can exercise full sovereignty then who on earth other than USA and China can?

There are smaller countries that exercise full sovereignty Tim. Holland is one of them and they are not in the EU.

Holland and Australia are the only 2 countries in the world to exceed 25 years of growth even through the GFC.

The EU has been a handbrake for many countries and even almost destroyed some other countries.

The future is with having FTAs like the Asia Pacific TPP. Also having bilateral and trilateral FTAs between nations. Having a singular currency and Central Bank and legislating for many countries through a Central Parliament when you have economies like Germany, Britain, France at one end and countries like Greece, Cyprus and Portugal at the other end is a recipe for disaster.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Brexit ..... The Movie

Postby Paphitis » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:20 pm

Tim Drayton wrote:
Londonrake wrote:...

This sort of stuff you regard Tim as "welcome solidarity and support"? In that case it strikes me as barrel scraping. Don't you think that it's just hateful ranting? IMHO it's crystal clear that Mr ZKTV has some mental issues. Just sayin' :wink:


And you think the posts of the lunatic of Vouni do not point to somebody with mental issues? I mean, would you not agree that having an obsessive conviction that the fact that banks can lend out more money than they take in deposits is the root of all evil is a sign of being somewhat deranged? Yet, you are perfectly happy to align yourself with him here.


I got to agree with you here.

Some people are just so deranged to want the entire global financial system to collapse. All this can achieve is to inflinct a lot of pain and suffering on poor people.

They even viewed the entire Greek financial collapse with glee desperately hoping for a wider EU and global contagion.

The global financial system is however a very robust beast. It may trip every now and then, but it ALWAYS rebounds bigger and better than ever before.

And the driving forces behind the markets and the Banks are people. It's all of us. We drive the whole show and rely on it everyday.

They even hope that BREXIT will result in a global crisis. It won't! Maybe there will be some short term difficulties but the markets have a way to correct themselves and before too long confidence returns.

I actually hope and believe Britain will be just A.O.K. In fact I am excited to see Britain make a stand against the EURO thugs and really give it to these criminals!

As far as I am concerned, I a barracking for Britain all the way!

How dare they Tim bully so many countries around and remove dignity from an entire people? That's what they did to Greece and there was no compassion whatsoever. I feel very embarrassed for Greece. It's a real shame they are so under the thumb they can't do a thing. What has hapenned to Greece was worse than NAZI occupation. Think about it.

They even tried to threaten Britain and even blackmail it. The audacity and arrogance is too much! But now they are Britain's bitches because Britain will be free to do what it wants and that is precious! I hope the Brits inflict as much pain and embarrassment to the EUstasi!

Denmark next!
Last edited by Paphitis on Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Brexit ..... The Movie

Postby Tim Drayton » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:35 pm

Paphitis wrote:
There are smaller countries that exercise full sovereignty Tim. Holland is one of them and they are not in the EU.



If you mean the Netherlands, they were one of the founding members of the European Coal and Steel Community which has over time morphed into the EU. I am afraid that neither the UK nor the Netherlands can exercise full sovereignty on the global stage in the world today. If the UK leaves the EU it will be an even bigger poodle of the US than it already is. A united Europe can exercise full clout on the world stage - although, of course, that unity is under threat just now and needs to be restored. Please remember that Europe is about the same size as Australia. I have said it before, but if the constituent states of Australia were all independent countries that were constantly squabbling (and the European nations were almost constantly in conflict from the hundred years war onward), would that continent be such a good place to live as it is now?
User avatar
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Limassol/Lemesos

Re: Brexit ..... The Movie

Postby Tim Drayton » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:42 pm

By the way, when I saw the way the vote of party membes was sidestepped and pro-EU Teresa May was engineered into the postition of prime-minister, when all the other candidates - Johnson, Gove, Leadsom - were anti, I came to the conclusion that the British ruling class actually has no intention of leaving the EU. I could be wrong. It's just a hunch. Or maybe wishful thinking.
User avatar
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Limassol/Lemesos

Re: Brexit ..... The Movie

Postby Paphitis » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:46 pm

Tim Drayton wrote:
Paphitis wrote:
There are smaller countries that exercise full sovereignty Tim. Holland is one of them and they are not in the EU.



If you mean the Netherlands, they were one of the founding members of the European Coal and Steel Community which has over time morphed into the EU. I am afraid that neither the UK nor the Netherlands can exercise full sovereignty on the global stage in the world today. If the UK leaves the EU it will be an even bigger poodle of the US than it already is. A united Europe can exercise full clout on the world stage - although, of course, that unity is under threat just now and needs to be restored. Please remember that Europe is about the same size as Australia. I have said it before, but if the constituent states of Australia were all independent countries that were constantly squabbling (and the European nations were almost constantly in conflict from the hundred years war onward), would that continent be such a good place to live as it is now?


Yes well people say that but there is no such thing as an American poodle.

Britain is not an American Poodle. They are close to the USA as an ally but they are also close to so many other countries. No one is closer than Australia and USA however but still there are no poodles! Just independent countries that are close but also disagree and even work against each other to serve there own interests.

I will give you an example. Australia, UK and USA are all allies. Australia shares the same Head of State as Britain. And yet, Australia and the USA were secretly funding Sinn Fein who were the political arm of the IRA! So in effect, Australia was funding an organization which would assassinate its own Head of State.

Pretty amazing right?

These countries stand on their own feet and whilst the US and Australian Government officials might be having tea at Buckinghwm Palace, they are also embezzling millions of dollars to Sin Fein to buy bombs and arms for the IRA in order to bomb train stations.

You might ask yourself Why?

Because the US Congress and Australian Parliament are half Irish and they are not loyal to the UK but more loyal to the Irish.

That is also what connects the USA and Australua. It's never at all that simple!
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Brexit ..... The Movie

Postby Tim Drayton » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:50 pm

2003 - Tony Blair - Iraq war. What more evidence to you need that the UK is under the US's thumb?
User avatar
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Limassol/Lemesos

Re: Brexit ..... The Movie

Postby Paphitis » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:57 pm

So many things which contradict this poodle thing.

For instance, if Australia was an American poodle then why has Australia ordered French Shortfin Barracuda submarines for 80 billion? Wouldn't that piss off our American Masters?

No it doesn't of course. The only requirement the USA places on Australia is that Australia must spend at least 2% of its GDP on arms. That's it. They don't care if it is Anerican or French arms although they would prefer American.

That is because there are treaties in place between the 2 countries with regard to Defence arrangements:
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Brexit ..... The Movie

Postby Paphitis » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:00 pm

Tim Drayton wrote:2003 - Tony Blair - Iraq war. What more evidence to you need that the UK is under the US's thumb?


I disagree!

They were under the impression that Saddam had WMD.

That was the intelligence that was shared at the time and under those circumstances there was no other choice.

Why didn't Britain join the Vietnam War? Why didn't Australia join Britain in the Falklands?
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Brexit ..... The Movie

Postby Paphitis » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:03 pm

The Vikings will be next. Denmark will continue what Britain started!

Go the Vikings! I want Thor's thunderbolt destroy the EU Parliament!
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Brexit ..... The Movie

Postby Paul ZKTV » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:33 pm

Paphitis wrote:The Vikings will be next. Denmark will continue what Britain started!

Go the Vikings! I want Thor's thunderbolt destroy the EU Parliament!



is this robin hood ,when he dont take his meds ???

Holland is in the EU .im not sure about the planet you are on ...
User avatar
Paul ZKTV
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 376
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:16 am
Location: Zürich

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests