The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Thorium, its practical use as a source of energy

Feel free to talk about anything that you want.

Re: Thorium, its practical use as a source of energy

Postby Get Real! » Mon May 30, 2016 10:55 pm

The closest Kurupet could ever come to a nuclear plant is to empty the three colored bins or maybe to deliver the mail!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40524
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Thorium, its practical use as a source of energy

Postby supporttheunderdog » Tue May 31, 2016 7:33 am

An article suggesting Thorium may not be the panacea some claim, passed on as read and not in support of any particular position.

http://cleantechnica.com/2012/09/11/why-thorium-nuclear-isnt-featured-on-cleantechnica/
User avatar
supporttheunderdog
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8201
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:03 pm
Location: limassol

Re: Thorium, its practical use as a source of energy

Postby miltiades » Tue May 31, 2016 7:46 am

Get Real! wrote:
repulsewarrior wrote:Actually, my question is to kurupetos, because if i recall he is Nuclear Physicist;

You know, I used to suspect that you're a regular dope smoker but now I know that you're just naturally fucking stupid!

Kurupet, has the IQ of a constipated wombat and you think he's a Nuclear Physicist???

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So you have something in common with Kuru, you share the same ...IQ :lol: :lol:
User avatar
miltiades
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16349
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:01 pm

Re: Thorium, its practical use as a source of energy

Postby Pyrpolizer » Tue May 31, 2016 11:47 pm

repulsewarrior wrote:Actually, my question is to kurupetos, because if i recall he is Nuclear Physicist; why is it irrelevant?

...and to tsuk, because i imagine he too is deep in this science.


From my Uni days, we were in fact taught of many clean nuclear reactions, that doing the equations and how they decay they emit only Energy and harmless Alpha rays that within 4cm distance turn into helium an element that exists naturally in the air.
I don't remember if thorium reactions were included but I do remember there are many with much simpler elements.
Problem is none of the those clean nuclear reactions was ever achieved, although theoretically are all very simple.

And for those greens of you, to get the amount of energy we now get from power stations we would need to cover the whole surface of the planet 4 TIMES with PV panels working at 100% efficiency, not at 20 30% they work today. :wink:
Like it or not nuclear energy is the future.
User avatar
Pyrpolizer
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 9096
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:33 pm

Re: Thorium, its practical use as a source of energy

Postby repulsewarrior » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:19 am

supporttheunderdog wrote:An article suggesting Thorium may not be the panacea some claim, passed on as read and not in support of any particular position.

http://cleantechnica.com/2012/09/11/why-thorium-nuclear-isnt-featured-on-cleantechnica/


In effect, a Nuclear Powered Molten Salt Reactor, worked. There was no secret about it, choices were made for solid fuel cores; it would be natural that since their advent, something like a hundred years from it, there would be fundamental changes, new systems, new thinking; a review of the thinking which ceased, by budget cuts, is a start. Time will tell, i like the roots of these efforts, these are not isolated "geniuses", these are scientists and engineers.

...did you know that Cyprus has a Molten Salt Reactor (and it is solar powered)?
User avatar
repulsewarrior
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7611
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:13 am
Location: homeless in Canada

Re: Thorium, its practical use as a source of energy

Postby supporttheunderdog » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:07 am

Pyrpolizer wrote:
repulsewarrior wrote:Actually, my question is to kurupetos, because if i recall he is Nuclear Physicist; why is it irrelevant?

...and to tsuk, because i imagine he too is deep in this science.


From my Uni days, we were in fact taught of many clean nuclear reactions, that doing the equations and how they decay they emit only Energy and harmless Alpha rays that within 4cm distance turn into helium an element that exists naturally in the air.
I don't remember if thorium reactions were included but I do remember there are many with much simpler elements.
Problem is none of the those clean nuclear reactions was ever achieved, although theoretically are all very simple.

And for those greens of you, to get the amount of energy we now get from power stations we would need to cover the whole surface of the planet 4 TIMES with PV panels working at 100% efficiency, not at 20 30% they work today. :wink:
Like it or not nuclear energy is the future.


I read somewhere that even at 20% one needs the equivalent of the area of Spain. I assume that takes into account distributing the area round the world to allow for day/night, but with battery technology then transmission becomes less of an issue. That said i still see a place for other forms of generation, including Nuclear of some sort.
User avatar
supporttheunderdog
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8201
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:03 pm
Location: limassol

Re: Thorium, its practical use as a source of energy

Postby supporttheunderdog » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:28 am

repulsewarrior wrote:
supporttheunderdog wrote:An article suggesting Thorium may not be the panacea some claim, passed on as read and not in support of any particular position.

http://cleantechnica.com/2012/09/11/why-thorium-nuclear-isnt-featured-on-cleantechnica/


In effect, a Nuclear Powered Molten Salt Reactor, worked. There was no secret about it, choices were made for solid fuel cores; it would be natural that since their advent, something like a hundred years from it, there would be fundamental changes, new systems, new thinking; a review of the thinking which ceased, by budget cuts, is a start. Time will tell, i like the roots of these efforts, these are not isolated "geniuses", these are scientists and engineers.

...did you know that Cyprus has a Molten Salt Reactor (and it is solar powered)?


The Molten Salt Solar Thermal Salt reactor as we have in Cyprus works in quite a different way to a Nuclear Molten salt reactor, where I understand there are in fact two types.
The Solar thermal salt reactor uses salt as a heat storage medium, effectively a heat battery, where the moten salt is used to heat water to generate steam to run a turbine. Because the Salt retains heat it continues to provide energy when the Sun is providing no direct power, eg through PV. I understand it can do this for about 6 Hours.

In the nuclear reactor the salts can in one design act purely as a coolent, but in the other design it will contain added radioactive products which become critical, i.e, the reaction becomes self sustaining and energy producing, in the reactor. As a liquid there are fewer technical problems than those caused by using water or gases as the coolant, due to fewer pressure issues.
User avatar
supporttheunderdog
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8201
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:03 pm
Location: limassol

Re: Thorium, its practical use as a source of energy

Postby CrookedRiverGuy » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:46 am

Pyrpolizer wrote:... to get the amount of energy we now get from power stations we would need to cover the whole surface of the planet 4 TIMES with PV panels working at 100% efficiency, not at 20 30% they work today. :wink:

Impossible, the solar energy hitting the earth exceeds the total energy consumed by humanity by a factor of over 20000 times.
Just think of the size of the panel needed to heat your water tank. How many square meters does it occupy? Less than 2 for sure. The surface area of the Earth is 510 trillion square meters.



supporttheunderdog wrote:I read somewhere that even at 20% one needs the equivalent of the area of Spain

Probably from a source like this http://www.techinsider.io/map-shows-sol ... rth-2015-9
User avatar
CrookedRiverGuy
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 299
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:15 pm

Re: Thorium, its practical use as a source of energy

Postby supporttheunderdog » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:29 pm

Just for a laugh---

http://www.iflscience.com/environment/solar-farm-rejected-over-fears-it-could-drain-sun-cause-cancer

Solar Farm Rejected Over Fears It Could Drain The Sun, Cause Cancer


By a vote of 3-1, council members approved the rejection of the planned rezoning on the grounds of concerns that had been raised by the public. For instance, Woodland resident Jane Mann, a retired science teacher, feared that vegetation in the area would suffer through a lack of photosynthesis, an energy-making process that requires sunlight. Her anecdotal evidence comes in the form of dead plants she has observed around solar panels. Disappointingly, she is not alone in her beliefs: another resident also said that the farm would suck up the Sun’s energy.

Mann also voiced concerns of supposedly elevated cancer levels in the area, and the fact that no one had demonstrated these weren’t to do with the installation of the solar panels. If this is a genuine worry shared among residents, or indeed the wider community, it is completely unfounded. Although UV radiation is a carcinogen, something that can cause cancer, solar panels do not affect the amount of UV rays that hit an area.


Stupid Yanks...
User avatar
supporttheunderdog
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8201
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:03 pm
Location: limassol

Re: Thorium, its practical use as a source of energy

Postby supporttheunderdog » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:36 pm

CrookedRiverGuy wrote:
Pyrpolizer wrote:... to get the amount of energy we now get from power stations we would need to cover the whole surface of the planet 4 TIMES with PV panels working at 100% efficiency, not at 20 30% they work today. :wink:

Impossible, the solar energy hitting the earth exceeds the total energy consumed by humanity by a factor of over 20000 times.
Just think of the size of the panel needed to heat your water tank. How many square meters does it occupy? Less than 2 for sure. The surface area of the Earth is 510 trillion square meters.



supporttheunderdog wrote:I read somewhere that even at 20% one needs the equivalent of the area of Spain

Probably from a source like this http://www.techinsider.io/map-shows-sol ... rth-2015-9


No it was not that precise one but it will do - on checking I found even the Daily Mail used that as the sort of area -

Greece and Cyprus should be prime candidates for Solar - I am weighing up the idea...
User avatar
supporttheunderdog
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8201
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:03 pm
Location: limassol

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests