The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


UK ITS GETTING OUT OF EUROPE WHAT NOW???

Feel free to talk about anything that you want.

Re: UK ITS GETTING OUT OF EUROPE WHAT NOW???

Postby Get Real! » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:56 pm

I was gonna give you my take of what to expect internationally for the next 1-5 years as a result of this vote but I’m tired now having wasted my time with a botched bet. Maybe tomorrow… :?
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40379
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: UK ITS GETTING OUT OF EUROPE WHAT NOW???

Postby Robin Hood » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:10 pm

Sotos wrote:
it is not the end of the World or even the UK.


Not the end of the world... but could this be the final straw that pushes Scotland out of the UK?


Wishful thinking? If they decided to break away how long would it take them to get back into the EU? Would all the Scots working in the UK suddenly need work permits? Could they fund their own pensions, NHS or Military? Would they adopt the Euro?

IMO: The decision is made so let's make the most of the opportunity. The EU will now start to break apart and the concept of political union will die. The UK could be the founding member of a new European trading union ...... like it was before the Germans and French decided it would be THEIR European Union. What we now need to see is the UK, Denmark, Norway, Switzerland and any other country that wants to join, create a new EU out of the ashes of the old one and just keep it as a trading community without a political agenda. :roll:
Robin Hood
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2510
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Limassol

Re: UK ITS GETTING OUT OF EUROPE WHAT NOW???

Postby Londonrake » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:09 pm

Robin Hood wrote:Wishful thinking? If they decided to break away how long would it take them to get back into the EU? Would all the Scots working in the UK suddenly need work permits? Could they fund their own pensions, NHS or Military? Would they adopt the Euro?

IMO: The decision is made so let's make the most of the opportunity. The EU will now start to break apart and the concept of political union will die. The UK could be the founding member of a new European trading union ...... like it was before the Germans and French decided it would be THEIR European Union. What we now need to see is the UK, Denmark, Norway, Switzerland and any other country that wants to join, create a new EU out of the ashes of the old one and just keep it as a trading community without a political agenda. :roll:


How odd. That we should find ourselves in tune with this important topic. Even perhaps to agreeing on the fact that the USA was being far from altruistic when Obama spoke of the UK being at the back of the queue (NB: not line!) in future trade deals. In fact their motivation is more in tune with the concept of America having a compliant ally in the EU. Which it sees as a useful buffer to Russian influence. Or, as some very astute US politician once said,(?) a sane person in the asylum. :D

We would have made a formidable pair I think. A great pity.

My apologies for this breech.

Hope you are both well.
Londonrake
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 623
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:19 pm
Location: ROC

Re: UK ITS GETTING OUT OF EUROPE WHAT NOW???

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:15 pm

Robin Hood wrote: ...What we now need to see is the UK, Denmark, Norway, Switzerland and any other country that wants to join, create a new EU out of the ashes of the old one and just keep it as a trading community without a political agenda. :roll:


You can leave the UK out of anything that requires teamwork!

Do you really think anyone will EVER trust the UK again? They did nothing but destabilize the EU whilst in and then decided to walk when they could no longer get their way. :roll:

Not a good reference!
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8945
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Re: UK ITS GETTING OUT OF EUROPE WHAT NOW???

Postby Sotos » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:55 pm

Robin Hood wrote:
Sotos wrote:
it is not the end of the World or even the UK.


Not the end of the world... but could this be the final straw that pushes Scotland out of the UK?


Wishful thinking? If they decided to break away how long would it take them to get back into the EU? Would all the Scots working in the UK suddenly need work permits? Could they fund their own pensions, NHS or Military? Would they adopt the Euro?

IMO: The decision is made so let's make the most of the opportunity. The EU will now start to break apart and the concept of political union will die. The UK could be the founding member of a new European trading union ...... like it was before the Germans and French decided it would be THEIR European Union. What we now need to see is the UK, Denmark, Norway, Switzerland and any other country that wants to join, create a new EU out of the ashes of the old one and just keep it as a trading community without a political agenda. :roll:


I am sure the Scots already know all the arguments why they should stay part of the UK but the referendum in 2014 was very close at 55%-45%... it doesn't take that much to turn that into 49%-51%. Remaining part of the EU was in fact one of the arguments used to convince them to stay. So forcing them out of the EU even though they overwhelmingly voted to remain could be that final straw that pushes Scotland out of the UK.
User avatar
Sotos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10642
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:50 am

Re: UK ITS GETTING OUT OF EUROPE WHAT NOW???

Postby CrookedRiverGuy » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:10 pm

kurupetos wrote:I don't think any of these will change.

The UK will probably have a similar arrangement as in Norway or Switzerland.



And what would they gain by that? Less influence with more or less the same financial burden...
User avatar
CrookedRiverGuy
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 297
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:15 pm

Re: UK ITS GETTING OUT OF EUROPE WHAT NOW???

Postby miltiades » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:40 pm

Get Real! wrote:I was gonna give you my take of what to expect internationally for the next 1-5 years as a result of this vote but I’m tired now having wasted my time with a botched bet. Maybe tomorrow… :?

What more rubbish ? You just made a fool of your self with your ....LANDSLIDE prediction, desired by ,,,criminal America. :lol: :lol:

There is no fool like one who does not realize it. Plonker, your opinions over the years have been nothing more than total scata. As of now I shall refer to you as the SCATOLOGOS OF THE FORUM !!! :lol: :lol:
User avatar
miltiades
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16315
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:01 pm

Re: UK ITS GETTING OUT OF EUROPE WHAT NOW???

Postby Get Real! » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:41 pm

miltiades wrote:
Get Real! wrote:I was gonna give you my take of what to expect internationally for the next 1-5 years as a result of this vote but I’m tired now having wasted my time with a botched bet. Maybe tomorrow… :?

What more rubbish ? You just made a fool of your self with your ....LANDSLIDE prediction, desired by ,,,criminal America. :lol: :lol:

There is no fool like one who does not realize it. Plonker, your opinions over the years have been nothing more than total scata. As of now I shall refer to you as the SCATOLOGOS OF THE FORUM !!! :lol: :lol:

Re gavlin tis ankinaras, gie dis shillas tis aniktokollas bou ekatevenen sto ktima tsie evouras din tabisson me to tenekoui...

Ekamen don nanon me ennan beladin tzie enomizen bos ekamen gion!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40379
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: UK ITS GETTING OUT OF EUROPE WHAT NOW???

Postby Paul ZKTV » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:07 pm

Robin Hood wrote:You all assume that 'free movement' is literally what it says ..... but it isn't! It simply means you are no longer free to enter the EU to work or avail yourself of common services, like benefits. There was no problem going on holiday to or with travelling through Spain, Italy, Cyprus etc. before we were all in the UK, so there will be no difference. We were not a member of Schengen .... neither is Cyprus so we needed a passport/ID card to travel. We live in Cyprus as EU citizens but we still need a residents permit .... so no change there either. You will not require visas but you may require a work permit, contributions to the social fund of the UK will no longer be assumed to be the same as contributions in the country you now reside in and visa-versa.

In Cyprus as far as I know pensioners will still be entitled to use the State Medical services but maybe we will no longer be able to use those of other EU countries unless the UK has the same arrangement with them as it has with Cyprus.

This idea that the doors will be shut and bolted and anyone with a UK passport will be locked out, is the sort of scare story that IMO cost the 'remain' camp the vote. It does not make sense ..... it is not the end of the World or even the UK. :roll:


can i ask a question about NON-EU OAPs ie those from china,somalia,england ,why would they get access to STATE HEALTH CARE in a country when no one pay for it ??
Why would NON-EU OAPs from england not have to prove a min income like those from china,somalia

i afraid that unless the EU (and inc the EEA ) 35 Countries have and england have agree (and any can veto it) then it defaults to std .
Travel documents for non-EU nationals
Passport/Visa requirements
If you are a non-EU national wishing to visit or travel within the EU, you will need a passport:

valid for at least 3 months after the date you intend to leave the EU country you are visiting,
which was issued within the previous 10 years,
and possibly a visa. Apply for a visa from the consulate or embassy of the country you are visiting. If your visa is from a "Schengen area" country, it automatically allows you to travel to the other Schengen countries as well. If you have a valid residence permit from one of those Schengen countries, it is equivalent to a visa. You may need a national visa to visit non-Schengen countries.

Border officials in EU countries may ask for other supporting documents such as an invitation letter, proof of lodging, return or round-trip ticket. For the precise requirements contact the local consular services of the EU country in question.
User avatar
Paul ZKTV
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 376
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:16 am
Location: Zürich

Re: UK ITS GETTING OUT OF EUROPE WHAT NOW???

Postby Tim Drayton » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:12 pm

Paul ZKTV wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:You all assume that 'free movement' is literally what it says ..... but it isn't! It simply means you are no longer free to enter the EU to work or avail yourself of common services, like benefits. There was no problem going on holiday to or with travelling through Spain, Italy, Cyprus etc. before we were all in the UK, so there will be no difference. We were not a member of Schengen .... neither is Cyprus so we needed a passport/ID card to travel. We live in Cyprus as EU citizens but we still need a residents permit .... so no change there either. You will not require visas but you may require a work permit, contributions to the social fund of the UK will no longer be assumed to be the same as contributions in the country you now reside in and visa-versa.

In Cyprus as far as I know pensioners will still be entitled to use the State Medical services but maybe we will no longer be able to use those of other EU countries unless the UK has the same arrangement with them as it has with Cyprus.

This idea that the doors will be shut and bolted and anyone with a UK passport will be locked out, is the sort of scare story that IMO cost the 'remain' camp the vote. It does not make sense ..... it is not the end of the World or even the UK. :roll:


can i ask a question about NON-EU OAPs ie those from china,somalia,england ,why would they get access to STATE HEALTH CARE in a country when no one pay for it ??

i afraid that unless the EU (and inc the EEA ) 35 Countries have and england have agree (and any can veto it) then it defaults to std .
Travel documents for non-EU nationals
Passport/Visa requirements
If you are a non-EU national wishing to visit or travel within the EU, you will need a passport:

valid for at least 3 months after the date you intend to leave the EU country you are visiting,
which was issued within the previous 10 years,
and possibly a visa. Apply for a visa from the consulate or embassy of the country you are visiting. If your visa is from a "Schengen area" country, it automatically allows you to travel to the other Schengen countries as well. If you have a valid residence permit from one of those Schengen countries, it is equivalent to a visa. You may need a national visa to visit non-Schengen countries.

Border officials in EU countries may ask for other supporting documents such as an invitation letter, proof of lodging, return or round-trip ticket. For the precise requirements contact the local consular services of the EU country in question.


And what about if you want to live and work in that country (maybe an employer there is perfectly willing to give you your dream job) or you want to start a small business there (maybe there is a gap in the market for your particular skills)? In the vast majority of cases ... forget it!
User avatar
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Limassol/Lemesos

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest