The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Checkmate, Atheists

We all need a good laugh.

Re: Checkmate, Atheists

Postby Atheist » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:36 am

mistermax wrote:
Schnauzer wrote: ANY person who has experienced the dying moments of a friend (or even enemy) will have noticed a rather peculiar phenomenon, that in EVERY case, in the last moments before the final breath is taken, the near departed (be they 'Atheist' or otherwise) will turn to the very subject they apparently despised throughout their lives.

As a matter of fact, it is accepted among those who have made their careers studying the attitudes of confirmed non-believers that their declarations (or terms of ridicule) are usually an ill-conceived attempt to portray themselves as courageous.

The opposite is (of course) the true measure of their courage and is most likely an example of the most courageous action they have ever undertaken.

When YOUR time comes (Oh Courageous 'Atheist' and spreader of blasphemy) try to remember the words of 'Schnauzer'......I will be your comfort and you will pass from this life peacefully.




Care to share any evidence?

Belief in God or courageousness or peacefulness or other subjective thoughts doesn't mean there is god.


No, but if believing in a God would make you fearless and free from worries then it could be a positive thing, right?

Is believing to something true more important than the bliss of ignorance?

In the example used by Schnauzer is it important for a dying person to be reasonable? Marx said that religion is the opiate of the masses. At that stage I'd say to pump the poor dying person with some real opium or other drugs and let him live his last moments happy as far from reality as possible.
Atheist
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:24 am

Re: Checkmate, Atheists

Postby Get Real! » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:38 am

Atheist wrote:I am looking for excuses for what exactly? It is clear that you are the stupid one since apparently you didn't even understand what I wrote.

You are the one who belongs to a "flock" and you believe whatever most around you do, not me.

The "problem" is that you don't truly believe what you claim you do, because even you are not that stupid.

There are examples of people who truly believe those lies. Take for example the Islamist suicide bombers. Those people truly believe that by blowing themselves up and killing "infidels" they will actually go to paradise. They do not fear death, they do not care about their life, because they truly believe that there is something better for them after death. The way they choose to live and die proves that they indeed fully believe the lies of their religion.

Another, positive, example would be a religious person who lives in accordance to the rules of his religion, doesn't care about making lots of money or achieving fame, doesn't fear death and lives a happy life free from any kind of worries believing that no matter what happens in this life is irrelevant, because what matters is the next eternal one. Ignorance can be a bliss, and people who are stupid enough to truly believe the lies of religion can actually be lucky in a way. It is like being a 3 year old for your whole life!

My point is that most religious people are not like the examples above. They want to believe those lies because it would make them feel better but they can't do it and the way they choose to live their lives proves this.

You’re just a disgruntled person who observed some bad examples of Christians and probably thought to himself…

“Well there you go… God cannot possibly exist because Peter, Julie and Andrew are bad Christians!”

And that’s as far as your “research” into theism has ever taken you.

Let’s face it… :lol:
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40429
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Checkmate, Atheists

Postby Atheist » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:08 am

Get Real! wrote:
Atheist wrote:I am looking for excuses for what exactly? It is clear that you are the stupid one since apparently you didn't even understand what I wrote.

You are the one who belongs to a "flock" and you believe whatever most around you do, not me.

The "problem" is that you don't truly believe what you claim you do, because even you are not that stupid.

There are examples of people who truly believe those lies. Take for example the Islamist suicide bombers. Those people truly believe that by blowing themselves up and killing "infidels" they will actually go to paradise. They do not fear death, they do not care about their life, because they truly believe that there is something better for them after death. The way they choose to live and die proves that they indeed fully believe the lies of their religion.

Another, positive, example would be a religious person who lives in accordance to the rules of his religion, doesn't care about making lots of money or achieving fame, doesn't fear death and lives a happy life free from any kind of worries believing that no matter what happens in this life is irrelevant, because what matters is the next eternal one. Ignorance can be a bliss, and people who are stupid enough to truly believe the lies of religion can actually be lucky in a way. It is like being a 3 year old for your whole life!

My point is that most religious people are not like the examples above. They want to believe those lies because it would make them feel better but they can't do it and the way they choose to live their lives proves this.

You’re just a disgruntled person who observed some bad examples of Christians and probably thought to himself…

“Well there you go… God cannot possibly exist because Peter, Julie and Andrew are bad Christians!”

And that’s as far as your “research” into theism has ever taken you.

Let’s face it… :lol:


In this thread I never made any arguments against the existence of Gods. That is a different discussion we can have at any time if you wish.

In this thread my argument is that not even most religious people are true believers. And this conclusion doesn't come from "some bad examples of Christians" but in fact from the vast majority of them.

There is a huge difference between hoping that something Is true, and truly believing that you know that something is true. Most religious people do not have confidence that their beliefs are true, otherwise they wouldn't fear death at all and they wouldn't worry about money, fame or any problems in their lives. If you Get Real can achieve that blissful ignorance then good for you! But if you don't believe enough to achieve the religious bliss of ignorance then you just sacrificed your reason without getting anything of value in return.
Atheist
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:24 am

Re: Checkmate, Atheists

Postby Schnauzer » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:15 am

mistermax wrote:
Schnauzer wrote: ANY person who has experienced the dying moments of a friend (or even enemy) will have noticed a rather peculiar phenomenon, that in EVERY case, in the last moments before the final breath is taken, the near departed (be they 'Atheist' or otherwise) will turn to the very subject they apparently despised throughout their lives.

As a matter of fact, it is accepted among those who have made their careers studying the attitudes of confirmed non-believers that their declarations (or terms of ridicule) are usually an ill-conceived attempt to portray themselves as courageous.

The opposite is (of course) the true measure of their courage and is most likely an example of the most courageous action they have ever undertaken.

When YOUR time comes (Oh Courageous 'Atheist' and spreader of blasphemy) try to remember the words of 'Schnauzer'......I will be your comfort and you will pass from this life peacefully.




Care to share any evidence?

Belief in God or courageousness or peacefulness or other subjective thoughts doesn't mean there is god.


'IF' you are of the opinion that the qualities one develops (as a person) are devoid of any guidance from a higher level than the drivel that is held (nowadays) in order to fit in with the society's that currently appear to dominate mankind, then, MY personal experiences will do little to convince you otherwise.

However, since I have had the unfortunate experience of witnessing the expiration of MANY of my fellow human beings, I feel qualified to assure you that there is much truth in that which I have written.

I will not go into detail BUT, it has been noticed (time and again in MY case) that, in the dying moments it has ALWAYS been the same, that the person will turn his/her lasts thoughts to the possibility (probability) of an 'Almighty Deity' and pass on hoping that there is.

As to the mention of 'Courage', it takes many forms, among the lesser of which could be the open denial of such 'Deity' and (personally) I think it is in very poor taste that one should openly denounce the existence of the source of 'Faith', since there are countless millions of unfortunates on the face of this earth who (through no fault of their own) have little else to sustain them through troubled times.

THAT is MY position on the subject and I am sure there is little to be gained by spouting otherwise.

Mankind NEEDS to believe in the superiority of good over evil and should conduct itself accordingly, the alternative is the prospect of ALL of us being subjected to the whims and wiles of those that dictate policy and I think we have ALL had enough of that. (imho) :wink:
User avatar
Schnauzer
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2073
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 10:55 pm
Location: Touring Timbuktu.

Re: Checkmate, Atheists

Postby miltiades » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:22 am

Schnauzer wrote:To those of you who consider it amusing to ridicule others who may have faith in the existence of an almighty deity (whosoever or whatsoever it may be) or those who feel that by declaring themselves 'Atheist' they are somehow exhibiting some worldly quality which others do not possess, I will put you a case.

ANY person who has experienced the dying moments of a friend (or even enemy) will have noticed a rather peculiar phenomenon, that in EVERY case, in the last moments before the final breath is taken, the near departed (be they 'Atheist' or otherwise) will turn to the very subject they apparently despised throughout their lives.

As a matter of fact, it is accepted among those who have made their careers studying the attitudes of confirmed non-believers that their declarations (or terms of ridicule) are usually an ill-conceived attempt to portray themselves as courageous.

The opposite is (of course) the true measure of their courage and is most likely an example of the most courageous action they have ever undertaken.

When YOUR time comes (Oh Courageous 'Atheist' and spreader of blasphemy) try to remember the words of 'Schnauzer'......I will be your comfort and you will pass from this life peacefully.

These are the facts.....anyone who has had the experience aforementioned will KNOW it and perhaps devote a little time to those who do not.

The supposed humour of that which has been written is NOT appreciated (by those who lack the 'Valour' to ridicule the 'Almighty') nor is it a sign of sound judgement, it rather smacks of a naughty schoolchild vying for attention in the vain hope of impressing someone. :roll:

I recall vividly when way back in 1953, at the age of seven, I kneeled by my mothers dead body , the local priest's hand on my shoulder comforting me and telling me " THELIMA TOU THEOU YIE MOU", and praying intensely and genuinely for my mother to open her eyes....

Yes at the age of seven I knew no better, years later I abstained from doing so faced with my late wife's death and only last year my daughter in law's death. Neither I nor my wife believed in a creator, neither I nor my late wife ever utter one word aimed at the creator during her eight year battle with cancer.

My late wife was born a Christian, Church of England, my late father wished that we should get married in a Greek Orthodox Church, five years after our Registry wedding. I did not wish to not please him so we did, my late wife was also baptised and became a Greek Orthodox, just as our two children did .

I have always followed tradition ingrained in the Greek Orthodox Church and always will. Weddings, Christenings and other such traditional Christian " customs".

I do not refer to my self as an " atheist" as this description denotes commonly an individual lacking morals etc. I refer to my self as an enlightened individual whose beliefs cultivated over seven decades are firmly based entirely on logic and common sense. There is no god, there has never been, only a creation by pre historic man. Long before " modern religions, hundreds of thousands years ago, there existed many gods. The Arabs had 365 gods, one for every day, the Greeks had a mere 24!!. There is not one iota of solid evidence, according to science, that there is or there was a god. I believe in real tangible angels, people who dedicate them selves in helping others, the less privileged, the less healthier, the less well off.

We witness daily all around us the poison that consumes those that blindly " believe" the hatred, the blood thirst, the murder in the name of an imaginary creator. Religion gives the human race, not the entire race, a hope, a spiritual guidance but not by any means a proof of the existence of a creator.

My new wife as well as her entire family,bar one, are believers, they are fully aware of my own beliefs, they accept it and thus far no .....fatwas have been issued against me. :lol:

In life one's logic evolves around his or her experiences in life. Last Xmas day I was in Limassol, my younger religious brother asked me to go to church, I declined and opened the boot of my car and told him this is what I will do today, showed him 3 rather large hampers destined for.....
User avatar
miltiades
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16332
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:01 pm

Re: Checkmate, Atheists

Postby mistermax » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:43 am

Atheist"

No, but if believing in a God would make you fearless and free from worries then it could be a positive thing, right?
[/quote]

wrong my fellow atheist, fear saved humanity from many disasters in the past.

Nothing good can come from lies.

[quote="Schnauzer wrote:
in the dying moments it has ALWAYS been the same, that the person will turn his/her lasts thoughts to the possibility (probability) of an 'Almighty Deity' and pass on hoping that there is.


so, what does that prove?
Last edited by mistermax on Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
mistermax
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:19 pm

Re: Checkmate, Atheists

Postby Get Real! » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:50 am

Atheist wrote:In this thread my argument is that not even most religious people are true believers. And this conclusion doesn't come from "some bad examples of Christians" but in fact from the vast majority of them.

So why the hell do you care? :?

You seem so preoccupied with the religious failure of individuals but I cannot see how they are relevant in the research/study of theism or atheism.

Now you claim to be atheist so what research have you conducted into atheism/theism that has resulted in this stance?

And please don’t start again about Brian, Peter, and Anna being bad Christians! I don't care about them. :)
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40429
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Checkmate, Atheists

Postby Get Real! » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:54 am

Excellent posts by Schnauzer btw... :)
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40429
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Checkmate, Atheists

Postby miltiades » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:59 am

Get Real! wrote:Excellent posts by Schnauzer btw... :)

The psycho concurs with the pervert :lol:
User avatar
miltiades
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16332
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:01 pm

Re: Checkmate, Atheists

Postby Atheist » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:35 am

Schnauzer wrote:As to the mention of 'Courage', it takes many forms, among the lesser of which could be the open denial of such 'Deity' and (personally) I think it is in very poor taste that one should openly denounce the existence of the source of 'Faith', since there are countless millions of unfortunates on the face of this earth who (through no fault of their own) have little else to sustain them through troubled times.


There have always been multiple religions claiming that all other religions except their own are false. Atheists just say that all religions are false. Those who want to follow a certain religion will do so regardless of what others say.

Mankind NEEDS to believe in the superiority of good over evil and should conduct itself accordingly, the alternative is the prospect of ALL of us being subjected to the whims and wiles of those that dictate policy and I think we have ALL had enough of that. (imho)


What is worst from the "whims and wiles of those that dictate policy" is when those who dictate policy are religious leaders who command the blind obedience of their folk. Absence of "Gods" does not mean absence of good and evil. On the contrary religions are responsible for a lot of the evils of this world.
Atheist
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:24 am

PreviousNext

Return to Jokes and Enigmas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests