The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


The advancement of Mobile phones

Feel free to talk about anything that you want.

The advancement of Mobile phones

Postby miltiades » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:10 am

I first had my very first "mobile " way back in the mid to late eighties , still have it !!! A Motorola 8500x, a cumbersome and heavy phone with a fairly large aerial, it required a battery charger rather large also. Its what so called " YAPPIES" had and displayed "showfish " so that everyone could see they had a mobile phone.

Since the early days spanning 30 plus years I have had numerous mobiles, of late I have come to, in a way, despise these intrusive but essential gadgets.

A few days ago I had, once again, my mobile stolen from my office, it was a Galaxy S4 which replaced the one stolen about two years back. On replacing it I chose the same model since I was conversant with its use.

On Wednesday of last week I was devastated to have again have my mobile stolen, all my contacts, business, family , friends all gone.
I of course immediately realizing that my phone had walked I informed my providers and had it blocked. I was due for an upgrade and I went for a Samsung S7 EDGE.

What a terrific phone this is, so many apps not least thumb or other finger print recognition. Previously I always avoided locking my phone I just could not be bothered having to enter a pin, now all I do is use my thumb .

I believe this to be the best ever for me, I like the " time" clock display that remains permanently on the screen, also the battery life is rather impressive.
User avatar
miltiades
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16345
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:01 pm

Re: The advancement of Mobile phones

Postby CBBB » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:51 am

miltiades wrote:I first had my very first "mobile " way back in the mid to late eighties , still have it !!! A Motorola 8500x, a cumbersome and heavy phone with a fairly large aerial, it required a battery charger rather large also. Its what so called " YAPPIES" had and displayed "showfish " so that everyone could see they had a mobile phone.

Since the early days spanning 30 plus years I have had numerous mobiles, of late I have come to, in a way, despise these intrusive but essential gadgets.

A few days ago I had, once again, my mobile stolen from my office, it was a Galaxy S4 which replaced the one stolen about two years back. On replacing it I chose the same model since I was conversant with its use.

On Wednesday of last week I was devastated to have again have my mobile stolen, all my contacts, business, family , friends all gone.
I of course immediately realizing that my phone had walked I informed my providers and had it blocked. I was due for an upgrade and I went for a Samsung S7 EDGE.

What a terrific phone this is, so many apps not least thumb or other finger print recognition. Previously I always avoided locking my phone I just could not be bothered having to enter a pin, now all I do is use my thumb .

I believe this to be the best ever for me, I like the " time" clock display that remains permanently on the screen, also the battery life is rather impressive.


When someone steals this one they will be wanting your thumb as well!
User avatar
CBBB
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 11439
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 1:15 pm
Location: Centre of the Universe

Re: The advancement of Mobile phones

Postby umit07 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:54 am

Today's mobile phones are much more than a phone. The smartphone is really a portable computer, it has millions of times more processing power than the navigation and guidance computer that landed man on the moon. The USA's inter-continentlal nuclear missile launch systems are still to this day ran on computers from the 70's, your smartphone is at least several hundred thousand times faster than such machines.

However, how do people use such power? Most use such devices for stupid tasks, like Facebook and playing Candy Crush. :cry: Oblivious to the fact that it would cost millions to produce a device with such computing power, not too long ago.

BTW, you should never loose your contacts, photos etc in this day and age. Create a gmail account to sync your contacts, photos etc.

http://androidfact.com/how-to-backup-android-contacts/

https://support.google.com/photos/answer/6193313?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en
User avatar
umit07
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: The advancement of Mobile phones

Postby miltiades » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:22 pm

I mostly use my mob for making and receiving calls, Viber, WhatsApp and storing photos.

In fact I have been told that this amazing phone can recognise even your ....little friend, provided ...he always stands to attention!!! :lol: :lol:

I must say I'm really impressed with this new phone, I may even delve into areas thus far avoided !!

I must however confess that my ambition is, when I finally retire, to throw away this modern gadgets and instead revert to the methods used by my grand father in communicating :lol: :lol:

Did you know that years ago people would communicate from afar by shouting ?? You could hear this in the village almost daily !!
User avatar
miltiades
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16345
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:01 pm

Re: The advancement of Mobile phones

Postby Get Real! » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:40 pm

My first phone was a Nokia 5110 probably sometime in the mid 90s... which my prestigious employer paid for as well as a pager, and I was also getting a fuel allowance, car maintenance allowance, and even a dry-cleaning allowance for my suits.

Had I stayed with them I’d probably be getting a wanking allowance by now! :?
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40484
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: The advancement of Mobile phones

Postby miltiades » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:20 pm

Get Real! wrote:My first phone was a Nokia 5110 probably sometime in the mid 90s... which my prestigious employer paid for as well as a pager, and I was also getting a fuel allowance, car maintenance allowance, and even a dry-cleaning allowance for my suits.

Had I stayed with them I’d probably be getting a wanking allowance by now! :?

Are you a ...wanker then ? :lol: :lol:
User avatar
miltiades
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16345
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:01 pm

Re: The advancement of Mobile phones

Postby umit07 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:59 pm

Get Real! wrote:My first phone was a Nokia 5110 probably sometime in the mid 90s... which my prestigious employer paid for as well as a pager, and I was also getting a fuel allowance, car maintenance allowance, and even a dry-cleaning allowance for my suits.

Had I stayed with them I’d probably be getting a wanking allowance by now! :?


My first phone was a Nokia 3210, the first phone to have an internal antenna, it was a very cool phone for a 12 year old at the the time. :wink:
Sounds like you had a pretty sweet job. I work within the tertiary education sector, apart from getting 17% superannuation and attending a conference here and there, we don't get much.
User avatar
umit07
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: The advancement of Mobile phones

Postby umit07 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:05 pm

miltiades wrote:In fact I have been told that this amazing phone can recognise even your ....little friend, provided ...he always stands to attention!!! :lol: :lol:


Oh Militiades, you are too predictable, such that the above isn't even funny anymore. :?
User avatar
umit07
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: The advancement of Mobile phones

Postby Get Real! » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:36 pm

umit07 wrote:My first phone was a Nokia 3210, the first phone to have an internal antenna, it was a very cool phone for a 12 year old at the the time. :wink:
Sounds like you had a pretty sweet job. I work within the tertiary education sector, apart from getting 17% superannuation and attending a conference here and there, we don't get much.

I don’t know what’s going on in Australia IT-wise these days, but in the 90s it was all about setting companies up to become computerized. It seemed that everyone wanted to abandon the old methods and go digital so business was huge and of course the demand for people who could go into such companies and extract their IT needs was also huge.

You had to learn and understand everything they were doing using their old systems and then upgrade them to a digital system that worked for them. The undertaking was huge, the responsibility was huge, and the relationships you were forming with them were very intense and long term. They looked up to you like you were God! :lol:

For this reason, systems engineers earned top dollar and were treated like royalty. It was a time when most users had only just embarked on the steep learning curve of using a computer so the knowledge gap between us and them was massive unlike today where even toddlers are using tablets no sweat! :)
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40484
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: The advancement of Mobile phones

Postby Sotos » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:07 pm

My first mobile was a Nokia 3330... an improvement of the very popular 3310. I still have it! Now I am using a mid-range Samsung smartphone I bought 3 years ago for €350 ... I still don't have a good enough reason to change it. My current one does what I need (calls, sms, gps, some occasional web browsing, taking photos/videos) just fine. I never cared for playing games on a phone. And all these crazy high resolutions make sense only if you use your phone for VR. Otherwise they are just wasting CPU power (and hence battery) for no good reason! Also I personally don't like the trend for bigger screens. For me around 4.5" is ideal. I have better fitting devices for things like gaming (PC), reading books (tablet), and watching movies (projector), so I don't need a smartphone to do those things.
User avatar
Sotos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10685
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:50 am

Next

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest