The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Theresa May's declaration.

Feel free to talk about anything that you want.

Re: Theresa May's declaration.

Postby Paphitis » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:11 am

Tim Drayton wrote:You are will informed on a great many issues, but, quite frankly, if you have never heard of a zero hour contract, you don't know much about what is happening in the UK at the moment.


Never heard of a zero hour contract.

but just by doing a quick search, it sounds like a casual employment contract. I don't see an issue.

usually with these types of contracts, there are other benefits such as a higher hourly rate. yes it isn't ideal, but I don't see anyone doing anything wrong here. Obviously the working hours offered by the employer are not consistent enough or are erratic and the business is not in a position. So the worker will need to keep looking. In the meantime, whatever hours the worker can get whilst looking for another job or jobs is better than no hours at all.

Or am I missing something?
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20997
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Theresa May's declaration.

Postby Tim Drayton » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:51 am

I would agree that there may be a need for some sort of brake on the free movement of people when any one country is overwhelmed with migrants. Let's not forget, though, that free movement in the EU also permits citizens of countries in crisis like Greece and Cyprus to go and find work in countries like the UK where unemployment levels are at relatively low levels. The UK is doing fairly well economically just now, by the way, and is not taking any sort of German-imposed medicine as you seem to think.
User avatar
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Limassol/Lemesos

Re: Theresa May's declaration.

Postby Paphitis » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:04 am

Tim Drayton wrote:I would agree that there may be a need for some sort of brake on the free movement of people when any one country is overwhelmed with migrants. Let's not forget, though, that free movement in the EU also permits citizens of countries in crisis like Greece and Cyprus to go and find work in countries like the UK where unemployment levels are at relatively low levels. The UK is doing fairly well economically just now, by the way, and is not taking any sort of German-imposed medicine as you seem to think.


Tim,

I am sure the brits don't mind so much the Greek or cypriot migrants. it's everyone else.

Yes I know the UK is doing very well today. I also believe it will do very well in the future and even when out of the EU.

But you never know what tomorrow brings. Today you could be doing well, and tomorrow not so well. The point is, the UK is completely independent and everything that happens will be of its own doing. they can regulate their economy even to this day, a luxury neither Greece or Cyprus have.

it's greece and Cyprus taking the bitter medicines from germany, not britain.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20997
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Theresa May's declaration.

Postby Jerry » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:09 pm

Paphitis wrote:
Jerry wrote:
Londonrake wrote:
Jerry wrote:And in the news today I read of Nissan considering moving production of the new Nissan Juke to Europe, it can't wait for two years to see what tariffs are agreed. Nissan is the UK's largest car maker producing about one third of UK car output. The factory is in Sunderland where over 60% voted to leave the EU. I always thought that many (but not all) Geordies were thick.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 48066.html


I confess to having no expertise in the subject but that sounds like quite an expensive undertaking.


Not if you already have production facilities in Europe and you want to build a new assembly line for a new model, in this case the new Nissan Juke. The new line would cost wherever it was built.


That means they were always going to move with the new model.

It was either build the new line in Britain or EU.

a lot of doomsayers around, but i only see positives.


Your first and second sentences in you last post are contradictions - make up your mind. If the UK was as successful at exporting as Germany I'd say we would have good prospects but UK has lost too much of its manufacturing base. Our importance to Europe was highlighted by the argument that half of our imports come from Europe but that 50% is only 14% of EU exports. The EU will find it much easier to replace its lost market than the UK will. We hear the argument that Germany, for instance, can't afford to lose its lucrative car exports to UK but most of those are sold here at inflated prices because they are perceived as premium models. BMW and Mercedes could afford to drop prices to maintain their market share.

We are debating with the EU at the moment about keeping reciprocal tariff free trade with the EU versus free movement of labour. Our new PM insists that we take control of our borders and restrict immigration but the EU says in that case you cannot have tariff free trade, quite frankly this whole Brexit business is a bloody mess and it's going to get worse.
What makes me really angry is the fact that the vote was swung by the racist views of a few hundred thousand xenophobes and clowns like Boris and Nigel feeding them blatant lies.
Jerry
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4638
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:29 pm
Location: UK

Re: Theresa May's declaration.

Postby Tim Drayton » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:24 pm

It is certainly ironic at the very least to think that there is one demographic that supposedly voted very heavily for leave that is composed of welfare-dependent racist white trash who want the foreigners out (and actually I imagine that does include Greeks and Cypriots) yet are too lazy to come off welfare and do the low-paid dirty jobs currently done by those foreigners.
User avatar
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Limassol/Lemesos

Re: Theresa May's declaration.

Postby Jerry » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:43 pm

Tim Drayton wrote:It is certainly ironic at the very least to think that there is one demographic that supposedly voted very heavily for leave that is composed of welfare-dependent racist white trash who want the foreigners out (and actually I imagine that does include Greeks and Cypriots) yet are too lazy to come off welfare and do the low-paid dirty jobs currently done by those foreigners.


Tim, it's not just the welfare-dependent racist white trash. Where my son works half of the production workers are East European (mainly Polish). The day after the vote there were several "encounters" between some of the local working class scum who suggested that it was time for these foreigners to go home, one even had a typed note offering a lift to the airport for. The management held an emergency meeting with everyone they employed and threatened instant dismissal to anyone involved in racist abuse. Judging by reports in the national Press this sort of post vote response was not unique to my son's place of work.
Jerry
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4638
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:29 pm
Location: UK

Re: Theresa May's declaration.

Postby Tim Drayton » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:44 pm

In Harlow, as I am sure you know, a man was killed for the mere 'crime' of being Polish. Unfortunately, when the far right scores a victory at the ballot box, the consequences do not stop there. I think this kind of sentiment has been bottled up and brushed under the carpet for a long time and, sadly, it is all coming into the open. Britain may not have moved on from the 1970's to the extent that people like me would have liked to think. Sad but true.
User avatar
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Limassol/Lemesos

Re: Theresa May's declaration.

Postby Tim Drayton » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:58 pm

There was also a reported case of some bona-fide tourists from France who were travelling on a train in London and speaking in French being accosted by racist scumbags and told to go home. Ironic, given that if Brexit happens and the UK gradually becomes more impoverished and the pound continues to weaken, the country will become more dependent of attracting foreign tourists for its survival, and these kinds of acts by racist retards will hardly help.
User avatar
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Limassol/Lemesos

Re: Theresa May's declaration.

Postby Lordo » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:07 pm

Paphitis wrote:
Tim Drayton wrote:You are will informed on a great many issues, but, quite frankly, if you have never heard of a zero hour contract, you don't know much about what is happening in the UK at the moment.


Never heard of a zero hour contract.

but just by doing a quick search, it sounds like a casual employment contract. I don't see an issue.

usually with these types of contracts, there are other benefits such as a higher hourly rate. yes it isn't ideal, but I don't see anyone doing anything wrong here. Obviously the working hours offered by the employer are not consistent enough or are erratic and the business is not in a position. So the worker will need to keep looking. In the meantime, whatever hours the worker can get whilst looking for another job or jobs is better than no hours at all.

Or am I missing something?

thats because you are an utter ass

these people are told day to day how many hours they will work and they could work no hours for a whole week and it is on minimum pay or less.

you are so stupid with your remarks, you comment on things you know nothing obout.
User avatar
Lordo
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 11518
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: softalar, banana republic

Re: Theresa May's declaration.

Postby Pyrpolizer » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:45 pm

Ok so they announced they would invoke article 50 in about 5 months from today. The question is why not TODAY?
there;s only one explanation:They want to measure the repercussions...
User avatar
Pyrpolizer
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 9090
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:33 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest