The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


What if ....

Feel free to talk about anything that you want.

Best if Cyprus was returned to the Hellenic Nation to avoid refugees created in 1974.


Note: Your vote in this poll is NOT confidential. Your username will be displayed under the option(s) you select

Yes, that's the most merciful overall solution.
4
80%
 
GreekIslandGirl, kurupetos, Schnauzer, Sotos
No, the Turks deserve a piece of Cyprus.
0
No votes
 
No, the Brits should have kept all of Cyprus.
1
20%
 
Paphitis
 
Total votes : 5

Re: What if ....

Postby Paphitis » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:45 am

Anyway, I am only bouncing around some ideas. Not deliberately trying to be contraversial or piss anyone off.

but since you have provided only 3 options, the British option is probably the smartest one of all.

Let's break it down and think it through.

I don't believe Cyprus was ready for independence in the 50s, 60s or even the 70s. I say that, because our history is riddled with idiocy, lunacy of gigantic proportions leading to the present Status Quo.

Therefore, why I am leading towards Cyprus being better off under British rule. We would never have been invaded, and eventually, Britain would grant independence like it did to so many other colonies.

So i pick Britain. there would be no partition and no refugees and life would have gone on as normal. in the end, who cares if the union Jack ruled us for a bit longer.

So I pick Britain.

does anyone agree/disagree?
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 21004
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: What if ....

Postby boomerang » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:56 am

GiG is your type of thinking that divided the island and this topic of yours is a testament to the division and hence the 200, 000 refugees..
Greece invades first giving the turks the excuse and now you are crying...

How many times has greece screwed cyprus...do you know?
User avatar
boomerang
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7218
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 5:56 am

Re: What if ....

Postby Maximus » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:02 am

Paphitis wrote:Anyway, I am only bouncing around some ideas. Not deliberately trying to be contraversial or piss anyone off.

but since you have provided only 3 options, the British option is probably the smartest one of all.

Let's break it down and think it through.

I don't believe Cyprus was ready for independence in the 50s, 60s or even the 70s. I say that, because our history is riddled with idiocy, lunacy of gigantic proportions leading to the present Status Quo.

Therefore, why I am leading towards Cyprus being better off under British rule. We would never have been invaded, and eventually, Britain would grant independence like it did to so many other colonies.

So i pick Britain. there would be no partition and no refugees and life would have gone on as normal. in the end, who cares if the union Jack ruled us for a bit longer.

So I pick Britain.

does anyone agree/disagree?


What is there to think through?

Independence is independence

You have chosen annexation to colonialists. :lol:
Maximus
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4274
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: What if ....

Postby Maximus » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:05 am

boomerang wrote:GiG is your type of thinking that divided the island and this topic of yours is a testament to the division and hence the 200, 000 refugees..
Greece invades first giving the turks the excuse and now you are crying...

How many times has greece screwed cyprus...do you know?


Lets get it right Boomers, British and Turkish thinking divided the island because they followed through with doing just that.

Enosis does not mean partition.

The Turks and the Brits should not have a piece of Cyprus to call sovereign or de facto this or that..
Maximus
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4274
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: What if ....

Postby Lordo » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:13 am

you are even more stupid than gig. who has given you the right to decide the fate of the tcs you stupid asshole.
User avatar
Lordo
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 11518
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: softalar, banana republic

Re: What if ....

Postby Maximus » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:21 am

Lordo wrote:you are even more stupid than gig. who has given you the right to decide the fate of the tcs you stupid asshole.


I did not decide their fate, they did that and it is moving towards extinction.

I was not even born at that time but you are trying to make me live under peasant Turkish tyranny some 50 years later. And I have nothing to do with Turks or Turkey you stupid backwards f^^%$%^% S$%$££
Last edited by Maximus on Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maximus
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4274
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: What if ....

Postby Paphitis » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:33 am

Maximus wrote:
Paphitis wrote:Anyway, I am only bouncing around some ideas. Not deliberately trying to be contraversial or piss anyone off.

but since you have provided only 3 options, the British option is probably the smartest one of all.

Let's break it down and think it through.

I don't believe Cyprus was ready for independence in the 50s, 60s or even the 70s. I say that, because our history is riddled with idiocy, lunacy of gigantic proportions leading to the present Status Quo.

Therefore, why I am leading towards Cyprus being better off under British rule. We would never have been invaded, and eventually, Britain would grant independence like it did to so many other colonies.

So i pick Britain. there would be no partition and no refugees and life would have gone on as normal. in the end, who cares if the union Jack ruled us for a bit longer.

So I pick Britain.

does anyone agree/disagree?


What is there to think through?

Independence is independence

You have chosen annexation to colonialists. :lol:


i was given a choice between 3 options. And since GIG's expressed goal was to avoid having 200,000 refugees, then I made the best choice in accordance with my opinion which I believe would have avoided 200,000 refugees and a divided island.

Therefore, I chose Britain believing they would have been the best bet and the most likely to accomplish the expressed goal of not having 200,000 refugees and being a refugee is an awful thing. my other half is one. I chose the Brits because it would avoid her family being evicted from their homes and forced to migrate as UN Registered refugees. They would still be in Cyprus, in their own home maybe.

There is no annexation involved. Britain hasn't annexed anyone and if you look back at history, they have granted self rule to everyone, and independence. the only stand out being The Falkland islands, because as it so happens, they don't want anything to do with Argentina.

The 50s was a terrible mistake, and to top it all off, all the shit some of our leaders did in the 60s and 70s is beyond belief. The Brits would have saved us from all that shit! Height of the cold war. It wasn't the time to be poking the Bear thinking you won't get dismembered.

I grew up in a former British colony and I can tell you, they got all their ducks in a row usually.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 21004
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: What if ....

Postby Maximus » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:36 am

So if Britain eventually would have granted independece to CYprus and if Cypriots would have then chosen enosis with Greece and the Turks and the Brits accepted their choice, this would have also avoided 200,000 refugees and a divided island.
Maximus
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4274
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: What if ....

Postby Paphitis » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:49 am

Maximus wrote:So if Britain eventually would have granted independece to CYprus and if Cypriots would have then chosen enosis with Greece and the Turks and the Brits accepted their choice, this would have also avoided 200,000 refugees and a divided island.


there is no way in the world Cypriots would choose ENOSIS in the 80s.

And probably, the Brits wouldn't allow it, preferring instead statehood.

they didn't even accept the total annexation of Hong Kong to China, declaring it a self governing Autonomous area belonging to China. That is because Hong Kongers never wanted china to begin with.
Last edited by Paphitis on Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 21004
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: What if ....

Postby Maximus » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:50 am

There is no way in the world there would have been 200,000 refugees and a divided island if Britain and Turkey accepted Cypriots choice for enosis in the 50's.
Maximus
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4274
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests