The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


What if ....

Feel free to talk about anything that you want.

Best if Cyprus was returned to the Hellenic Nation to avoid refugees created in 1974.


Note: Your vote in this poll is NOT confidential. Your username will be displayed under the option(s) you select

Yes, that's the most merciful overall solution.
4
80%
 
GreekIslandGirl, kurupetos, Schnauzer, Sotos
No, the Turks deserve a piece of Cyprus.
0
No votes
 
No, the Brits should have kept all of Cyprus.
1
20%
 
Paphitis
 
Total votes : 5

Re: What if ....

Postby Paphitis » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:53 am

Maximus wrote:There is no way in the world there would have been 200,000 refugees and a divided island if Britain and Turkey accepted Cypriots choice for enosis in the 50's.


OK now tell me. What gives you the idea that the TCs would accept that?

Do you think they would be happy with this? is it really as you say that the 20% should accept what is dished to them like little serfs when they probably have good reason to be fearful?
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: What if ....

Postby Maximus » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:55 am

Listen Paphitis,

I am talking about Britain, Cyprus, Greece and Turkey,

These are the countries in question.
Maximus
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4274
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: What if ....

Postby Maximus » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:57 am

You are talking about independence, that means a democracy to me which is in conflict with your statement.

is it really as you say that the 20% should accept what is dished to them like little serfs when they probably have good reason to be fearful?
Maximus
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4274
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: What if ....

Postby Paphitis » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:59 am

Maximus wrote:Listen Paphitis,

I am talking about Britain, Cyprus, Greece and Turkey,

These are the countries in question.


I am talking about Cyprus. the only country that matters. And the objective of not having 200,000 refugees.

As it appears, we stuffed that one up but if we had a time machine and stayed under British Rule for a while, would we have 200,000 refugees now?
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: What if ....

Postby Maximus » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:01 am

So am I talking about Cyprus.

the reason why Cyprus has a divided island and 200k refugees is because 20% of the population refected democracy and two countris (britain and Turkey) rejected independence and enosis.
Last edited by Maximus on Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maximus
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4274
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: What if ....

Postby Paphitis » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:02 am

Maximus wrote:You are talking about independence, that means a democracy to me which is in conflict with your statement.

is it really as you say that the 20% should accept what is dished to them like little serfs when they probably have good reason to be fearful?


Sorry, but a democracy doesn't mean that any country, let's say Australia, can just have a vote about union with USA (example) and not expect issues. it doesn't work that way.

We will end up like Syria because there would be many who think that's a stupid idea.

it's not the same as electing a government. usually these types of decisions in a federation are impossible because you need 75% of the vote in all states.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: What if ....

Postby Paphitis » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:03 am

Maximus wrote:So am I talking about Cyprus.

the reason why Cyprus has a divided island and 200k refugees is because 20% of the population refected democracy and two countris (britain and Turkey) rejected independence.


well whether you like it or not, 20% actually do have a right to reject union with Greece. And that's why the island is divided and we are in the situation we are in today.

Even today, if you study the UNHCR and United nations charter, you can't deny a significant portion of the population like this their right to veto such a move. self determination of people's.
Last edited by Paphitis on Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: What if ....

Postby Maximus » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:03 am

I dont know what you are talking about now.

My comments are factually correct.
Maximus
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4274
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: What if ....

Postby Paphitis » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:06 am

Maximus wrote:I dont know what you are talking about now.

My comments are factually correct.


all people's have a right to self determination, and your expressed wish to over ride that with Enosis with Greece is on very shaky ground as far as the International community and UN are concerned.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: What if ....

Postby Maximus » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:07 am

Paphitis wrote:
Maximus wrote:I dont know what you are talking about now.

My comments are factually correct.


all people's have a right to self determination, and your expressed wish to over ride that with Enosis with Greece is on very shaky ground as far as the International community and UN are concerned.


So the TC's are a seperate independent people are they? :lol:
Maximus
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4274
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests