The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Maybe the UK could learn from Trump ?

Everything related to politics in Cyprus and the rest of the world.

Maybe the UK could learn from Trump ?

Postby Robin Hood » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:08 am

Maybe Teresa May should ask Trump for a few tips? :roll:

Trump says that on day one of his presidency the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP) is history. In the UK to make Membership of the European Partnership history, is going to take the UK years and employ thirty thousand civil servants! :shock:

Am I missing something here? :roll: :?:

Trump to Issue Executive Order on Day One of Presidency to Withdraw US From TPP

Video.

https://sputniknews.com/politics/201611221047690451-trump-executive-order-tpp/
Robin Hood
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2537
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Limassol

Re: Maybe the UK could learn from Trump ?

Postby CBBB » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:46 am

Robin Hood wrote:Maybe Teresa May should ask Trump for a few tips? :roll:

Trump says that on day one of his presidency the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP) is history. In the UK to make Membership of the European Partnership history, is going to take the UK years and employ thirty thousand civil servants! :shock:

Am I missing something here? :roll: :?:

Trump to Issue Executive Order on Day One of Presidency to Withdraw US From TPP

Video.

https://sputniknews.com/politics/201611221047690451-trump-executive-order-tpp/


Seeing as the deal is not in force as it hasn't been ratified by the individual countries, it is quite easy to pull out, unlike the UK which has been fully in the EU for over 40 years.
User avatar
CBBB
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 11435
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 1:15 pm
Location: Centre of the Universe

Re: Maybe the UK could learn from Trump ?

Postby Londonrake » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:27 am

TPP being just a trade deal. Well, a bit like "The Common Market" really.
Londonrake
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 626
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:19 pm
Location: ROC

Re: Maybe the UK could learn from Trump ?

Postby Robin Hood » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:14 pm

So I did 'miss something' ? :oops:

I thought it was TTIP that was the deal that was not signed but as you say, neither is the TTP.

At least Trump actually seems to make a decision ..... well sometimes. What interested me more was the fact that I have never seen why leaving the EU should require anything other than this article 50. Hand in your notice ....... nothing changes immediately and the two year period is to cross the T's and dot the i's ? The UK could resurrect the content of the result of the EEC treaties and negotiate around that. The UK just opt's out of anything that smells 'Federal'.

If the EU try to 'punish' the UK, the UK responds likewise. The EU seems to be wanting to make the process as unpleasant as possible so that others are dissuaded from going the same route. IMO: I think others will opt to leave any way. The Brexit and Trumps success are surely a sign that things are changing and the old order is on its way out ..... but not without a fight. :roll: :wink:
Robin Hood
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2537
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Limassol

Re: Maybe the UK could learn from Trump ?

Postby Kikapu » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:38 pm

Robin Hood wrote:So I did 'miss something' ? :oops:

I thought it was TTIP that was the deal that was not signed but as you say, neither is the TTP.

At least Trump actually seems to make a decision ..... well sometimes. What interested me more was the fact that I have never seen why leaving the EU should require anything other than this article 50. Hand in your notice ....... nothing changes immediately and the two year period is to cross the T's and dot the i's ? The UK could resurrect the content of the result of the EEC treaties and negotiate around that. The UK just opt's out of anything that smells 'Federal'.

If the EU try to 'punish' the UK, the UK responds likewise. The EU seems to be wanting to make the process as unpleasant as possible so that others are dissuaded from going the same route. IMO: I think others will opt to leave any way. The Brexit and Trumps success are surely a sign that things are changing and the old order is on its way out ..... but not without a fight. :roll: :wink:


I'm sorry, but, I do not see any correlation between Trump and Brexit. Why are some people linking the two together to mean something, when in fact, it doesn't mean anything at all! :roll:
User avatar
Kikapu
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 13541
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:18 pm

Re: Maybe the UK could learn from Trump ?

Postby Robin Hood » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:48 pm

Kikapu wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:So I did 'miss something' ? :oops:

The Brexit and Trumps success are surely a sign that things are changing and the old order is on its way out ..... but not without a fight. :roll: :wink:


I'm sorry, but, I do not see any correlation between Trump and Brexit. Why are some people linking the two together to mean something, when in fact, it doesn't mean anything at all! :roll:


You believe what you want to. You don't think that the fact that both votes defied the odds and all the expert predictions and primarily through the will of the people, made them somewhat similar ? Both were 'political' and both sides in each case, that were convinced they would win the vote ........ didn't and for the same reason ?

Now there are proposals to censor what you are allowed to read on the Internet, is that not a sign that those that have run things to date are just a little bit worried that people are actually beginning to question what they are being told and that sources of independent information are currently out of their control ?

What was being voted for may have been different but both events followed a similar pattern of lies, personal attacks, media information released to influence the vote and the fear factor, played a part in both ! Maybe we will see the same happen in the EU countries when they have elections ..... there have been surprises already ..... Sarkosy surprisingly came third and dropped out of a French 'Presidential candidate' vote yesterday.

Or maybe it is all just a coincidence ? :wink:
Robin Hood
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2537
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Limassol

Re: Maybe the UK could learn from Trump ?

Postby Kikapu » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:26 am

Robin Hood wrote:
Kikapu wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:So I did 'miss something' ? :oops:

The Brexit and Trumps success are surely a sign that things are changing and the old order is on its way out ..... but not without a fight. :roll: :wink:


I'm sorry, but, I do not see any correlation between Trump and Brexit. Why are some people linking the two together to mean something, when in fact, it doesn't mean anything at all! :roll:


You believe what you want to. You don't think that the fact that both votes defied the odds and all the expert predictions and primarily through the will of the people, made them somewhat similar ? Both were 'political' and both sides in each case, that were convinced they would win the vote ........ didn't and for the same reason ?

Now there are proposals to censor what you are allowed to read on the Internet, is that not a sign that those that have run things to date are just a little bit worried that people are actually beginning to question what they are being told and that sources of independent information are currently out of their control ?

What was being voted for may have been different but both events followed a similar pattern of lies, personal attacks, media information released to influence the vote and the fear factor, played a part in both ! Maybe we will see the same happen in the EU countries when they have elections ..... there have been surprises already ..... Sarkosy surprisingly came third and dropped out of a French 'Presidential candidate' vote yesterday.

Or maybe it is all just a coincidence ? :wink:


Look, Trump lost the popular vote by about 1.5 million votes and won the electoral vote by about ONLY 150 thousand votes in the 2-3 swing states, out of 120 + million votes cast total in the country, so how does that compare with Brexit? :roll: In the end, the presidential votes were within the margin of error. Hillary would have won had the FBI director did not created a stir 9 days from the election. Opinion polls are just that. What counts is people casting the votes on the day of the election. Despite Trump winning the presidency, he wins without a mandate, not when he lost the popular vote by 1.5 million, and Brexit having won by about the same margin, doesn't seem to have a mandate either, what with it's legal challenges, which is about the only correlation there is between Trump's and Brexit's wins.
User avatar
Kikapu
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 13541
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:18 pm

Re: Maybe the UK could learn from Trump ?

Postby Robin Hood » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:13 pm

Kikapu:

I'm sorry, but, I do not see any correlation between Trump and Brexit. Why are some people linking the two together to mean something, when in fact, it doesn't mean anything at all! :roll:


Cunningham is a well known and well informed journalist and has been for years. He sees the same connection between events of Brexit and Trumps election, and sees more of the same on the horizon in Europe. I think he puts a very good argument forward and also sees changes taking place in the political arena. The people are becoming far better informed and are thinking for themselves rather than falling for Government sponsored propaganda.

Madame President Le Pen - Europe’s Next Political Earthquake - By Finian Cunningham

After the shock of Brexit and then election of Donald Trump to the White House, anything now seems possible in the political world. Six months hence, Marine Le Pen, the leader of France’s Front National (FN), will be within reach of the presidency.

It’s a possibility that Le Pen is not alone in trumpeting, following Britain’s surprise vote to leave the European Union and Trump’s equally surprising US victory earlier this month. Last week, incumbent French Prime Minister Manuel Valls acknowledged that the FN leader could be elected the French republic’s new president when the country goes to the polls during April-May next year.

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article45901.htm
Robin Hood
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2537
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Limassol

Re: Maybe the UK could learn from Trump ?

Postby Londonrake » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:43 pm

It was assumed, by those who are supposedly "in the know", that both the UK referendum and US election would go a certain, entirely predictable, way. Neither did. An unpleasant surprise to many. It seems to be a popular revolt against what some term "The establishment elite". Basically, they were so up their own butts that they had no idea where the ball actually was. The tyranny of democracy?
Londonrake
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 626
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:19 pm
Location: ROC

Re: Maybe the UK could learn from Trump ?

Postby Get Real! » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:27 am

Londonrake wrote:It was assumed, by those who are supposedly "in the know", that both the UK referendum and US election would go a certain, entirely predictable, way. Neither did. An unpleasant surprise to many. It seems to be a popular revolt against what some term "The establishment elite". Basically, they were so up their own butts that they had no idea where the ball actually was. The tyranny of democracy?

In both cases the blocking of democracy should be the biggest eye opener for those who took pride in western “values”.
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40432
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Next

Return to Politics and Elections

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest