The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


The Classic Browser... at last!

Anything related to the Internet, computers and technology in general.

Re: The Classic Browser... at last!

Postby Get Real! » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:35 am

I’ve finally managed to get the Inno Setup installers to work! :D

Both online archives have now been replaced with installers that should work with Windows 8 and 10.

The direct URL paths posted earlier for downloaders remain the same.
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40432
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: The Classic Browser... at last!

Postby Get Real! » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:20 am

Chromium 55 is available but it’s got at least one serious issue with Flash.

Instead of the video playing you’ll get a “right-click to play the video” message and then no response.

Also, claims that there is better memory management with this version do not appear to be true from my tests.

I guess we’ll be skipping this version… :?
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40432
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: The Classic Browser... at last!

Postby Get Real! » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:44 am

Get Real! wrote:Chromium 55 is available but it’s got at least one serious issue with Flash.

Instead of the video playing you’ll get a “right-click to play the video” message and then no response.

Also, claims that there is better memory management with this version do not appear to be true from my tests.

I guess we’ll be skipping this version… :?

Update on this…

It appears that Flash is getting axed in Chromium and that’s why it’s now behaving the way I mentioned above!

It’s not a bug after all, but a Chromium decision which you can read about here:

https://blog.chromium.org/2016/12/roll- ... fault.html

Adobe must be FUMING! Ahahaha… :lol:

Still though… I’m not in a hurry to see Flash content disabled because there’s still a lot of it out there so I won’t be compiling with Chromium 55 just yet.
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40432
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: The Classic Browser... at last!

Postby Get Real! » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:06 am

Understanding the important difference between “Chrome” and “Chromium”…

Many browsers are like a Lexus car… they have a unique logo, seats, dashboard, systems, etc but if you open the bonnet you’ll find that the engine is not a Lexus but probably a VW or Mercedes, or some other brand.

In the same way a variety of browsers including mine, use the “Chromium engine” under the bonnet but they all fine-tune it differently. Some go for more stability while others go for more performance etc. It is highly configurable so no two browsers using Chromium can ever behave the same way.

So there you go… think “Lexus” to remember the difference between these two words where 1. “Chrome” is a car brand and 2. “Chromium” a motor engine manufacturer.
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40432
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: The Classic Browser... at last!

Postby Sotos » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:32 pm

Lexus is a brand made by Toyota... so I assume they are using Toyota engines. In the case of "Chrome" and "Chromium" both are made by Google. Google Open Sourced Chromium so there are now other contributors but Google remains the main force behind it.
User avatar
Sotos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10663
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:50 am

Re: The Classic Browser... at last!

Postby Get Real! » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:39 pm

Sotos wrote:Lexus is a brand made by Toyota... so I assume they are using Toyota engines. In the case of "Chrome" and "Chromium" both are made by Google. Google Open Sourced Chromium so there are now other contributors but Google remains the main force behind it.

Have you found the setting in Chrome(55) that enables Flash? :)
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40432
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: The Classic Browser... at last!

Postby supporttheunderdog » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:28 am

Get Real! wrote:
kurupetos wrote:What about Mac? :mrgreen:

I’ve never used a Mac in my life let alone programme one! :lol:


I have just inherited a Mac book pro, from my late son, so I will be learning how to use whatever OS it has.
User avatar
supporttheunderdog
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8180
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:03 pm
Location: limassol

Re: The Classic Browser... at last!

Postby Sotos » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:52 am

Get Real! wrote:
Sotos wrote:Lexus is a brand made by Toyota... so I assume they are using Toyota engines. In the case of "Chrome" and "Chromium" both are made by Google. Google Open Sourced Chromium so there are now other contributors but Google remains the main force behind it.

Have you found the setting in Chrome(55) that enables Flash? :)


I am using Chrome 55 and Flash seems to be working fine...
User avatar
Sotos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10663
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:50 am

Re: The Classic Browser... at last!

Postby Get Real! » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:59 am

Sotos wrote:
Get Real! wrote:
Sotos wrote:Lexus is a brand made by Toyota... so I assume they are using Toyota engines. In the case of "Chrome" and "Chromium" both are made by Google. Google Open Sourced Chromium so there are now other contributors but Google remains the main force behind it.

Have you found the setting in Chrome(55) that enables Flash? :)


I am using Chrome 55 and Flash seems to be working fine...

If you look in the flag options there *should be* a new option to enable/allow flash and Chrome has most likely enabled it by default. Anyways… it’s not terribly important.
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40432
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: The Classic Browser... at last!

Postby Sotos » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:06 am

Get Real! wrote:
Sotos wrote:
Get Real! wrote:
Sotos wrote:Lexus is a brand made by Toyota... so I assume they are using Toyota engines. In the case of "Chrome" and "Chromium" both are made by Google. Google Open Sourced Chromium so there are now other contributors but Google remains the main force behind it.

Have you found the setting in Chrome(55) that enables Flash? :)


I am using Chrome 55 and Flash seems to be working fine...

If you look in the flag options there *should be* a new option to enable/allow flash and Chrome has most likely enabled it by default. Anyways… it’s not terribly important.


I don't think they would cut flash like that... they will probably give several warnings at least a year ahead of making such move.
User avatar
Sotos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10663
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:50 am

PreviousNext

Return to Internet, Computers and Technology

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests