The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Is this genocide?

Everything related to politics in Cyprus and the rest of the world.

Re: Is this genocide?

Postby miltiades » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:59 am

Robin, whether one accepts the number of deaths given by AI or not the fact of the matter is that deaths occurred. Nothing unusual in this part of the world, killings have been going on for centuries and dare I say will continue for many many years to come .There is a lot more killing to come.
User avatar
miltiades
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16318
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:01 pm

Re: Is this genocide?

Postby Lordo » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:55 am

how can antbody disregard what human rights organisations say. i can understand blaming the media particularly since they stopped reporting how many muslims are being killed by western forces. of course when ever the russians kill it is all over the media
Last edited by Lordo on Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Lordo
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 11518
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: softalar, banana republic

Re: Is this genocide?

Postby Tim Drayton » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:34 am

miltiades wrote:Robin, whether one accepts the number of deaths given by AI or not the fact of the matter is that deaths occurred. Nothing unusual in this part of the world, killings have been going on for centuries and dare I say will continue for many many years to come .There is a lot more killing to come.


So, you are presumable equally comfortable with the Ottoman government's systematic extermination of some 1.5 million Armenians between the years of 1915-1917?
User avatar
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Limassol/Lemesos

Re: Is this genocide?

Postby Robin Hood » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:57 am

Milti:
Robin, whether one accepts the number of deaths given by AI or not the fact of the matter is that deaths occurred.

I absolutely agree with that sentiment. Maybe Assad’s people did knock off a few future ‘head choppers’, maybe he did torture a few hundred moderate Al-Qaida/Al-Nusra/ISIS rebels ........ what I am saying is that the report needs analysis, which I think MoA did a good job on, before we start making such wild accusations as a public statement of guilt!

Because there are those who do not have the capacity to apply common sense and are driven by an irrational and in-built hatred of anything to do with Assad, they will accept what they read as a proven fact, when it is no such thing. :roll:

Nothing unusual in this part of the world, killings have been going on for centuries and dare I say will continue for many, many years to come .There is a lot more killing to come.


But that applies to all wars and conflicts! As Trump said to the Fox news anchor “So, you think we are innocent?” Is it not wrong to assume and award guilt for a massive crime, based on a single report where the basis of the conclusion is all based on unverified reports from unidentified people? This is the basis of fake/false news, take an event and assume it is fact and promote it as fact......... result is a fake/false story. :roll: :wink:
Robin Hood
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2510
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Limassol

Re: Is this genocide?

Postby Lordo » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:10 pm

Tim Drayton wrote:
miltiades wrote:Robin, whether one accepts the number of deaths given by AI or not the fact of the matter is that deaths occurred. Nothing unusual in this part of the world, killings have been going on for centuries and dare I say will continue for many many years to come .There is a lot more killing to come.


So, you are presumable equally comfortable with the Ottoman government's systematic extermination of some 1.5 million Armenians between the years of 1915-1917?

as if america was not involved when iraq attacked iran and over a million muslims were killed. that was a pure muslim against muslim. i think milti's brains have migrated to another planet.
User avatar
Lordo
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 11518
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: softalar, banana republic

Re: Is this genocide?

Postby miltiades » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:25 pm

Tim Drayton wrote:
miltiades wrote:Robin, whether one accepts the number of deaths given by AI or not the fact of the matter is that deaths occurred. Nothing unusual in this part of the world, killings have been going on for centuries and dare I say will continue for many many years to come .There is a lot more killing to come.


So, you are presumable equally comfortable with the Ottoman government's systematic extermination of some 1.5 million Armenians between the years of 1915-1917?

No Tim, Im not comfortable with any murders, Im just a pragmatist , The ME has been going through wars for years on end, starting from the 6th century.
User avatar
miltiades
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16318
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:01 pm

Re: Is this genocide?

Postby Tim Drayton » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:34 pm

miltiades wrote:
Tim Drayton wrote:
miltiades wrote:Robin, whether one accepts the number of deaths given by AI or not the fact of the matter is that deaths occurred. Nothing unusual in this part of the world, killings have been going on for centuries and dare I say will continue for many many years to come .There is a lot more killing to come.


So, you are presumable equally comfortable with the Ottoman government's systematic extermination of some 1.5 million Armenians between the years of 1915-1917?

No Tim, Im not comfortable with any murders, Im just a pragmatist , The ME has been going through wars for years on end, starting from the 6th century.


Right, well be pragmatic about the Armenian Genocide, then. Why not just be pragmatic about the Nazi holocaust, too, while you are at it?
User avatar
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Limassol/Lemesos

Re: Is this genocide?

Postby Tim Drayton » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:35 pm

Could any of you devout Bible bashers out there please explain the meaning of the following:

Exodus 20:13 'Thou shalt not kill.'?
User avatar
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Limassol/Lemesos

Re: Is this genocide?

Postby Tim Drayton » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:38 pm

In fact, why not be 'pragmatic' about the Greek Cypriots killed during the Turkish invasion of 1974? After all, this island is only a stone's throw from Syria, and, as you say: 'Nothing unusual in this part of the world, killings have been going on for centuries.'?
User avatar
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Limassol/Lemesos

Re: Is this genocide?

Postby Robin Hood » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:43 pm

Lordo:
how can anybody disregard what human rights organisations say.


Not disregard ...... but question the conclusion. As I said Amnesty have been caught out before and although not quite as blatant as with the MSM do come out with some really questionable sources. 130 murders/hangings does not have the news impact as 'At least 13,000 prisoners murdered by Assad' but it would be more credible. :roll:

In Aleppo, the ONLY source for 'news' was provided by the rebels through media outlets that were sympathetic to their cause. That says the source is biased and as a result Russia/Assad were always the killers and hospital bombers!

It is now coming out that the MSM was publishing fake stories, because REAL journalists are going in and talking to those involved and who suffered under the rebel enforced imprisonment in Eastern Aleppo. The stories in almost every case are absolutely 180 to those we were reading and watching on TV. Amnesty, just like the UN, use these biased sources as they are obliged to investigate any allegations. We always hear the case for the Prosecution ........ but the Defence is ignored or ridiculed.

I can understand blaming the media particularly since they stopped reporting how many Muslims are being killed by western forces. of course when ever the Russians kill it is all over the media.


IMO: What is going on in Mosul is no different from what went on in Aleppo but we don't hear about it as there are no rebels or rebel backed organisations that have contacts to accepted mouthpieces on the Western side of the fence. As much as outlets like RT get a hammering as being propaganda outlets for the Russians, you very rarely, if ever see/hear them running down the US Coalition as that coalition does to them!

Our impression is formed from our own opinion, fed by news outlets like CNN and FOX that are very biased in their reporting. If you believe Assad is a mass murderer then CNN will provide you with fuel for your opinion. But question these reports ...... and the evidence is normally overwhelming that these sensational reports are untrue or grossly one-sided and exaggerated.

Even for those like us, who are not experts, we can apply common sense and say ..... this sounds too far fetched to be true. If you then have the interest to look into the story in further detail you will often find that your initial common sense assessment is far nearer the truth than the MSM story? :wink:
Robin Hood
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2510
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Limassol

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Elections

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest