The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


BREXIT Countdown - Bye Bye Britain, Bye Bye!

Feel free to talk about anything that you want.

Re: BREXIT Countdown - Bye Bye Britain, Bye Bye!

Postby Tim Drayton » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:56 pm

Londonrake wrote:
Tim Drayton wrote:Prior to 1990 it was very difficult for a British citizen to get a work permit to work in Cyprus, and these were only issued under very exceptional circumstances. It was next to impossible for a British citizen to establish a domestic business in which they had a controlling share. After 1990, both of these things became very easy.


I absolutely take your word for it. Nevertheless, things have evolved significantly from almost 3 decades ago and there doesn't seem to be any basis in fact for the assumption that they will return hence. As I recollect, Cyprus was quite an insular country back then. Much has (hopefully!) changed. I will wait a while, before packing my bags. :D :wink:


The point, though, is this belies the statement:

"The status of British nationals living in Cyprus or of Cypriots living in the UK is not expected to change as it is based on bilateral agreements the two countries signed prior to the island’s EU accession."

Which shows that you should not necessarily take as gospel everything you read in the press, as one self-appointed deconstructor of what he calls the 'MSM' is often pontificating about.

Apart from that, nothing has changed. British people have these rights and freedoms in Cyprus thanks to their country being an EU member. Citizens of non-EU countries do not have these rights here.
User avatar
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Limassol/Lemesos

Re: BREXIT Countdown - Bye Bye Britain, Bye Bye!

Postby Londonrake » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:13 pm

Perhaps (as with Brexit? :P ) it's a matter of optimism, or even faith. :D

AFAIUI there are 90,000+ Cypriots living, working and studying in the U.K. The number of Brits in the ROC is estimated to be 60,000. A hard figure is difficult because the last census was 2011. My own experience suggests that may be significantly over, as many have left in the past 5 years.

I also have no figure for UK Cypriots with dual passports.

It would seem to me that there is plenty of basis for mutually beneficial agreement. Given the historical and significant economic ties I doubt what happens to Phillipinos or Russians can be directly translated to U.K. Citizens. But, time will tell. Or, we can all take the bottle of whisky and revolver route - now. :o 8)
Londonrake
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:19 pm
Location: ROC

Re: BREXIT Countdown - Bye Bye Britain, Bye Bye!

Postby Robin Hood » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:23 pm

Tim Drayton wrote:
Robin Hood wrote: Many here would be unable to purchase affordable health insurance anyway .... like me, they would be too old.


Precisely. Stop pontificating and start worrying.


I am not worrying .... I am not a doom a gloom merchant like you.

My MoH source said at the very beginning, exactly what this article has said now, bi-lateral/reciprocal agreements ..... will continue but you seem to think you know better! :roll:

Although there are those that feel otherwise, the RoC government do very well out of us Brits .....in general we are not a liability. We do not come to this country with nothing, we bring wealth with us and then we bring our income in from outside, which is all a plus for the RoC economy. Unlike the immigrants the UK takes from Eastern Block countries where we have to take those that have nothing and seek everything in return...... as we have to by EU Directives. Now 'we have our borders back we will be able to chose who we will let in and what benefits they will receive and throw out all criminals and the undesirables. :D
Robin Hood
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2584
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Limassol

Re: BREXIT Countdown - Bye Bye Britain, Bye Bye!

Postby Robin Hood » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:34 pm

Tim Drayton wrote:Prior to 1990 it was very difficult for a British citizen to get a work permit to work in Cyprus, and these were only issued under very exceptional circumstances. It was next to impossible for a British citizen to establish a domestic business in which they had a controlling share. After 1990, both of these things became very easy.


'Controlling share' ? So now you move the goal posts to suit your opinion. Many things were difficult in 1990 ...... but unlike you it seems the country has managed to move on and has seen the benefits of this open market ......... that you keep crowing about. Things will not change noticeably, it would not be in Cyprus' interest.
Robin Hood
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2584
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Limassol

Re: BREXIT Countdown - Bye Bye Britain, Bye Bye!

Postby Pyrpolizer » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:31 pm

Robin Hood wrote:
Tim Drayton wrote:
Robin Hood wrote: Many here would be unable to purchase affordable health insurance anyway .... like me, they would be too old.


Precisely. Stop pontificating and start worrying.


I am not worrying .... I am not a doom a gloom merchant like you.

My MoH source said at the very beginning, exactly what this article has said now, bi-lateral/reciprocal agreements ..... will continue but you seem to think you know better! :roll:

Although there are those that feel otherwise, the RoC government do very well out of us Brits .....in general we are not a liability. We do not come to this country with nothing, we bring wealth with us and then we bring our income in from outside, which is all a plus for the RoC economy. Unlike the immigrants the UK takes from Eastern Block countries where we have to take those that have nothing and seek everything in return...... as we have to by EU Directives. Now 'we have our borders back we will be able to chose who we will let in and what benefits they will receive and throw out all criminals and the undesirables. :D


And all those Pakistanis, Indians ans sri Lankans that flooded the UK, were because the EU has stolen your borders???
For Christ Sake there was a terrorist attack last week on the bridge in London and the only "British" person we saw on the local TV talking about the incident was an Indian "sardachi" wearing a turban,talking with perfect Royal accent

NB. I am not sure whether your underlined comment was meant to be sarcastic.If that was the case, then please ignore this post.
User avatar
Pyrpolizer
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 9090
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:33 pm

Re: BREXIT Countdown - Bye Bye Britain, Bye Bye!

Postby miltiades » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:59 pm

Not one single word was uttered during the referendum on the many millions of Asians living in the UK. Emphasis was directed at Eastern Europeans, Polish mostly, people with whom we have so much in common.

It amazes me to say the least that " getting back our country" was the most prominent crap said during the campaign. We have always had our country, our laws, our government and of course our very own African Traffic F..ng wardens. They call them ....Community Support Officers :lol: :lol: Supporting who I ask my self , so eager to penalise you and fine you 60 quid , fu..ng daily light robbery!!
User avatar
miltiades
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16349
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:01 pm

Re: BREXIT Countdown - Bye Bye Britain, Bye Bye!

Postby Londonrake » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:19 pm

miltiades wrote:Not one single word was uttered during the referendum on the many millions of Asians living in the UK. Emphasis was directed at Eastern Europeans, Polish mostly, people with whom we have so much in common.

It amazes me to say the least that " getting back our country" was the most prominent crap said during the campaign. We have always had our country, our laws, our government and of course our very own African Traffic F..ng wardens. They call them ....Community Support Officers :lol: :lol: Supporting who I ask my self , so eager to penalise you and fine you 60 quid , fu..ng daily light robbery!!


It's the African Traffic Wardens that's the give away.

Go on Mil. What'ya doing there? Shiraz? Pinot Noir? Cabernet Sauvignon? :lol: :wink:

Did I ever mention the Scarlett Johansson look-alike Warden? :o :wink:
Londonrake
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:19 pm
Location: ROC

Re: BREXIT Countdown - Bye Bye Britain, Bye Bye!

Postby miltiades » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:33 pm

Londonrake wrote:
miltiades wrote:Not one single word was uttered during the referendum on the many millions of Asians living in the UK. Emphasis was directed at Eastern Europeans, Polish mostly, people with whom we have so much in common.

It amazes me to say the least that " getting back our country" was the most prominent crap said during the campaign. We have always had our country, our laws, our government and of course our very own African Traffic F..ng wardens. They call them ....Community Support Officers :lol: :lol: Supporting who I ask my self , so eager to penalise you and fine you 60 quid , fu..ng daily light robbery!!


It's the African Traffic Wardens that's the give away.

Go on Mil. What'ya doing there? Shiraz? Pinot Noir? Cabernet Sauvignon? :lol: :wink:

Did I ever mention the Scarlett Johansson look-alike Warden? :o :wink:

Splashed out today on ... 8 bottles of red, French clarets, Scarlett is more than welcome to join me and have some ...f..un :lol:
Talking about African TFW ( stands for fing ) a few months back one of my vans was clamped whilst delivering in Brixton. I telephoned the number on the notice gave the reg no etc and she asked for the address that the van was registered at. I said the number and London Road. How you spell she asked, LONDON Road I responded, spell for me she said, OK I said its P A R I S Road.Stupid bloody woman.
User avatar
miltiades
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16349
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:01 pm

Re: BREXIT Countdown - Bye Bye Britain, Bye Bye!

Postby Londonrake » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:35 pm

miltiades wrote:
Londonrake wrote:
miltiades wrote:Not one single word was uttered during the referendum on the many millions of Asians living in the UK. Emphasis was directed at Eastern Europeans, Polish mostly, people with whom we have so much in common.

It amazes me to say the least that " getting back our country" was the most prominent crap said during the campaign. We have always had our country, our laws, our government and of course our very own African Traffic F..ng wardens. They call them ....Community Support Officers :lol: :lol: Supporting who I ask my self , so eager to penalise you and fine you 60 quid , fu..ng daily light robbery!!


It's the African Traffic Wardens that's the give away.

Go on Mil. What'ya doing there? Shiraz? Pinot Noir? Cabernet Sauvignon? :lol: :wink:

Did I ever mention the Scarlett Johansson look-alike Warden? :o :wink:

Splashed out today on ... 8 bottles of red, French clarets, Scarlett is more than welcome to join me and have some ...f..un :lol:
Talking about African TFW ( stands for fing ) a few months back one of my vans was clamped whilst delivering in Brixton. I telephoned the number on the notice gave the reg no etc and she asked for the address that the van was registered at. I said the number and London Road. How you spell she asked, LONDON Road I responded, spell for me she said, OK I said its P A R I S Road.Stupid bloody woman.


She was obviously one of those bleedin' foreigners Milti! :lol:
Londonrake
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:19 pm
Location: ROC

Re: BREXIT Countdown - Bye Bye Britain, Bye Bye!

Postby supporttheunderdog » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:06 pm

GreekIslandGirl wrote:
supporttheunderdog wrote: ... I have never been in favour of Grexit


And yet you were the FIRST to bring up such an idea 5 years ago and have diligently kept the flame burning to ,propagate (and hence possibly make 'true') the idea that a Grexit is just around the corner! Be true to yourself, liar!

Ask yoyr self this: "why are some Greek Media and Some Greek politicians still keeping " the flame burning"?

Am I some how influencing them to keep bringing up the idea?

As it is I have akways expressed concern at the risks Grexit Brings, in particular to the ordinary Greeks. More than can be said for some, where do in fact recall a set of posts where someone had suggested Grexit would be good for Greece and at the stage YOU then expressed some support for the idea, but if after 5 YEARS it is still being discussed by Greek Politicians and Greek Media that should tell you something, namely that the underlying problems have not been fixed.

You however are incapable of seeing that because it does not conform to your blinkered rosy tinted view of the fairy land that you think of as Greece.

There is an elephant in the room you are in denial about, and that is that the Geeek Economy and State finances in particular are in a bad way and rather than address the issues you are only capable of becoming abusive.

Indeed I would Characterise you as an Ostrich, the bird said to put its head in the sand, as, being incredibly birdbrained, it thinks if it cannot see the danger the danger cannot see it....rather something leaving its arse in the air is likely to be well and trully b*gg*r*d....

So I ask again. Why after five years is this still being discussed as possibility in the Greek Press by Greek politicians?

Can you give an answer without being abusive?
User avatar
supporttheunderdog
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8201
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:03 pm
Location: limassol

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests