The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


BREXIT Countdown - Bye Bye Britain, Bye Bye!

Feel free to talk about anything that you want.

Re: BREXIT Countdown - Bye Bye Britain, Bye Bye!

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:39 pm

Londonrake wrote:I am reluctant to interfere in this private disagreement. However, I just wanted to add that in my almost 7 decades, much involving wide travel around the U.K, I have yet to meet a fellow countryman who "hates all foreigners".

Exit.......... stage right.


Sadly, a side-effect of this Brexit outcome is the unleashing of years of repressed xenophobia.

They're even squaring up to bomb Spain now! :roll:

Theresa May would be prepared to go to war to protect Gibraltar as Margaret Thatcher once did for the Falklands, former Conservative leader Michael Howard has suggested,

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ael-fallon
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8954
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Re: BREXIT Countdown - Bye Bye Britain, Bye Bye!

Postby Robin Hood » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:26 am

Londonrake wrote:I am reluctant to interfere in this private disagreement. However, I just wanted to add that in my almost 7 decades, much involving wide travel around the U.K, I have yet to meet a fellow countryman who "hates all foreigners".

Exit.......... stage right.


You're never reluctant to come forward to make your point! Your comment makes no sense to me! Who are you directing your perceptions at this time? Who is it that hates all foreigners?

"Exit.......... stage right" .... you mean you've got it at last? ...... :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :roll:
Robin Hood
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2537
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Limassol

Re: BREXIT Countdown - Bye Bye Britain, Bye Bye!

Postby Robin Hood » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:51 am

GreekIslandGirl wrote:
Londonrake wrote:I am reluctant to interfere in this private disagreement. However, I just wanted to add that in my almost 7 decades, much involving wide travel around the U.K, I have yet to meet a fellow countryman who "hates all foreigners".

Exit.......... stage right.


Sadly, a side-effect of this Brexit outcome is the unleashing of years of repressed xenophobia.

They're even squaring up to bomb Spain now! :roll:

Theresa May would be prepared to go to war to protect Gibraltar as Margaret Thatcher once did for the Falklands, former Conservative leader Michael Howard has suggested,

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ael-fallon


Well ".... squaring up to bomb Spain ...." is rather an exaggeration!

But, why should the UK not resort to military action to protect their interests and a population that has said overwhelmingly that it wishes to remain part of the UK? I am sure that as a staunch Greek Cypriot Patriot you would go to war with the British if they, for instance, decided to quit the Island and return the Bases to the country they originally took it from by annexation ..... Turkey? :roll: :wink:
Robin Hood
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2537
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Limassol

Re: BREXIT Countdown - Bye Bye Britain, Bye Bye!

Postby Londonrake » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:23 am

Robin Hood wrote:
Londonrake wrote:I am reluctant to interfere in this private disagreement. However, I just wanted to add that in my almost 7 decades, much involving wide travel around the U.K, I have yet to meet a fellow countryman who "hates all foreigners".


You're never reluctant to come forward to make your point! Your comment makes no sense to me! Who are you directing your perceptions at this time? Who is it that hates all foreigners?


GreekIslandGirl wrote:................And are you now telling us you are only propagating Golden Dawn's policies? :P Even there, you have it all wrong. There's nothing in their foreign policy about leaving the EU, idiot! Their anti-immigration policy is purely against those illegal immigrants from outside the EU (unlike 52% of the British who hate all foreigners! :wink: )


Robin Hood wrote:"Exit.......... stage right" .... you mean you've got it at last? ...... :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :roll:


That'll be the day. :lol:
Londonrake
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 626
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:19 pm
Location: ROC

Re: BREXIT Countdown - Bye Bye Britain, Bye Bye!

Postby Tim Drayton » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:02 am

GreekIslandGirl wrote:... unlike 52% of the British who hate all foreigners! ...


They are only about 34% of the total electorate if you factor in those who didn't vote.
User avatar
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Limassol/Lemesos

Re: BREXIT Countdown - Bye Bye Britain, Bye Bye!

Postby Londonrake » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:25 am

Tim Drayton wrote:
GreekIslandGirl wrote:... unlike 52% of the British who hate all foreigners! ...


They are only about 34% of the total electorate if you factor in those who didn't vote.


Which means? Image

The unspoken inference of course is that the people who weren't registered or couldn't be bothered to vote were Remainers.

Have a look at how much of the population gave us Thatcher/Blair, et al. 34% of the electorate puts their "popularity" into perspective.
Londonrake
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 626
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:19 pm
Location: ROC

Re: BREXIT Countdown - Bye Bye Britain, Bye Bye!

Postby Tim Drayton » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:53 am

No, the point is that you can conclude from the vote that about 34% of the electorate hates foreigners, not 52%.
User avatar
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Limassol/Lemesos

Re: BREXIT Countdown - Bye Bye Britain, Bye Bye!

Postby Londonrake » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:03 am

Tim Drayton wrote:No, the point is that you can conclude from the vote that about 34% of the electorate hates foreigners, not 52%.


You're a very intelligent person. Clearly, you will appreciate that conflating a vote to leave the EU with hating all foreigners is absurd. I don't recall ever hating any. Although, having spent many years living in northern Scotland, W Germany (my Son was born in Hameln) and obviously Cyprus I have seen a (very) occasional display of it. Scotland being the worst actually! :lol:

You have only to wander through some of the more animated threads on this Forum to appreciate that bigotry and racism are alive and well, much closer to home.
Londonrake
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 626
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:19 pm
Location: ROC

Re: BREXIT Countdown - Bye Bye Britain, Bye Bye!

Postby Tim Drayton » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:16 am

To clarify, I was responding to a point above which was based on the premise that people who voted leave in the referendum hate foreigners (a bit extreme but that there is a lot of truth to the accusation that the leave vote was inspired to a considerable extent by racism and bigotry) and we can thus say that 52% (the percentage of peope who voted leave in the referendum) hate all foreigners. I was simply pointing out that taking the number of those who voted leave as a percentage of the total electorate (i.e. 34%) may give a fairer reflection. If you wish to challenge the initial premise, that's another matter. I do, however, note that a foreigner is in a critical state in hospital after having suffered a vicious, racist attack in the nasty atmosphere that has prevailed since Fuhrer Farage got the vote he wanted.
User avatar
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Limassol/Lemesos

Re: BREXIT Countdown - Bye Bye Britain, Bye Bye!

Postby Londonrake » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:32 am

Tim Drayton wrote:To clarify, I was responding to a point above which was based on the premise that people who voted leave in the referendum hate foreigners (a bit extreme but that there is a lot of truth to the accusation that the leave vote was inspired to a considerable extent by racism and bigotry) and we can thus say that 52% (the percentage of peope who voted leave in the referendum) hate all foreigners. I was simply pointing out that taking the number of those who voted leave as a percentage of the total electorate (i.e. 34%) may give a fairer reflection. If you wish to challenge the initial premise, that's another matter. I do, however, note that a foreigner is in a critical state in hospital after having suffered a vicious, racist attack in the nasty atmosphere that has prevailed since Fuhrer Farage got the vote he wanted.


But it's a ludicrous premise and I'm sure you appreciate that. Yes, it is "extreme". In fact it's ridiculously extreme. And no, you can't state, with a ha'pence worth of credibility, that "We can thus say that 52% ............. hate all foreigners." What I will suggest is that a large number of people have gotten a tad fed up with mass, uncontrolled immigration. Although, personally, it wasn't a motivator in my voting to leave.

I thought I had challenged the initial premise,..................several times. :?

As far as the attack on the young kid is concerned I think Milti's response hit the nail on the head. I have also spent most of my life living in the UK and don't recognise the picture of it that's being painted here. I take the liberty of borrowing it from the relevant thread:

miltiades wrote:A thoroughly disgusting act of violence against an innocent young man and not the least representative of our society at large. This vicious inexcusable act has been condemned by everyone. Having lived in the UK for 56 years I can recall one only attack on my person by a gang of hooligans who took exception to my having the ....audacity to ask a girl for a dance at the Streatham Locarno way back in 1962.

Our society is a very tolerant one, some would say over tolerant in many aspects. We care about the sick and the vulnerable and we condemn unreservedly such cowardly acts. I do hope the young man recovers fully and that the perpetrators are brought to justice.


It does seem that every time something like this disgusting assault, or even murder with the Polish guy, occurs it's the fault of all those nasty, fascist Brexiteers. Rather than a bunch of moronic thugs who need locking up.
Londonrake
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 626
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:19 pm
Location: ROC

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests