The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Little Englanders, we tried to tell you!

Everything related to politics in Cyprus and the rest of the world.

Re: Little Englanders, we tried to tell you!

Postby Tim Drayton » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:45 am

Robin Hood wrote:
Tim Drayton wrote:So as long as foreigners do not work or go to school in the UK, it is OK for them to speak no English.


YES! Many years ago I worked with a Polish guy whose mother was widowed in WWII. But her and her husband were refugees in the UK. Her children went to the local school and learned English. She never did learn English but she never worked in the UK and when she went shopping one of the children went with her. To me that is not a problem at all. She didn't integrate and preferred mixing with Polish nationals ...... but she didn't insist HER children were taught in Polish ...... the Polish she taught them. That's how it should be.

You have lived and worked Saudi I believe? Did you see any sign of Saudi society taking into account your sensibilities? How many immigrants from Muslim countries go to Saudi? NONE ..... because they are most often a different sect ....... and yet they will come to western countries and DEMAND special consideration because of their religion. Sorry, it may be racist, but in my book, if religion/culture/language means that much to any immigrant, then immigrate to a country that suits your requirements or learn to fit in! :x


OK, so you have changed your policy. Enough said. To err is human and to forgive is divine.
User avatar
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Limassol/Lemesos

Re: Little Englanders, we tried to tell you!

Postby Robin Hood » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:53 am

Tim Drayton wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:
Tim Drayton wrote:So as long as foreigners do not work or go to school in the UK, it is OK for them to speak no English.


YES! Many years ago I worked with a Polish guy whose mother was widowed in WWII. But her and her husband were refugees in the UK. Her children went to the local school and learned English. She never did learn English but she never worked in the UK and when she went shopping one of the children went with her. To me that is not a problem at all. She didn't integrate and preferred mixing with Polish nationals ...... but she didn't insist HER children were taught in Polish ...... the Polish she taught them. That's how it should be.

You have lived and worked Saudi I believe? Did you see any sign of Saudi society taking into account your sensibilities? How many immigrants from Muslim countries go to Saudi? NONE ..... because they are most often a different sect ....... and yet they will come to western countries and DEMAND special consideration because of their religion. Sorry, it may be racist, but in my book, if religion/culture/language means that much to any immigrant, then immigrate to a country that suits your requirements or learn to fit in! :x


OK, so you have changed your policy. Enough said. To err is human and to forgive is divine.


No ..... I haven't changed my policy! It is the same it has always been .... live and let live! Only when others force their ideals and opinions on me do I reserve the right to resist, but I will at least attempt to explain why I disagree! :roll:
Robin Hood
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2537
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Limassol

Re: Little Englanders, we tried to tell you!

Postby Tim Drayton » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:02 pm

No, my good fellow, you previously ranted against legal immigrants bringing their wives to the UK if the latter were not fluent in English, regardless of whether they were going to work or not.
User avatar
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Limassol/Lemesos

Re: Little Englanders, we tried to tell you!

Postby Robin Hood » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:20 pm

Tim Drayton wrote:No, my good fellow, you previously ranted against legal immigrants bringing their wives to the UK if the latter were not fluent in English, regardless of whether they were going to work or not.


Enlighten me? My wife came to the UK and didn't speak English ...... she learned. :roll:

If an immigrants wife wishes to remain outside the English community, as I say, I see no problem. But then when they want to claim benefits or need medical treatment, they have a problem. The problem is that will lead to ghetto's as the immigrant usually comes from a background that limits their jobs worth. A problem which I don't think is ours to resolve ? :roll:
Robin Hood
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2537
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Limassol

Re: Little Englanders, we tried to tell you!

Postby Tim Drayton » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:58 pm

But, old fellow, you were saying something different in your rant of 4 June 2016 in which you were complaing about immigrants bringing wifes who spoke little English, regardless of whether they wanted to work or not, so you have now shifted you position. I forgive you for your previous error.
User avatar
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Limassol/Lemesos

Re: Little Englanders, we tried to tell you!

Postby supporttheunderdog » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:40 pm

Surprise, Surprise, there is more...

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/796140/Brexit-news-EU-financial-services-City-London-UK-trade-deal

The EU basically stating that if the financial institutions want to play in the EU they follow the EU rules -

well that is what the Brexiteers voted for...
User avatar
supporttheunderdog
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8180
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:03 pm
Location: limassol

Re: Little Englanders, we tried to tell you!

Postby supporttheunderdog » Sat May 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Another doom-laden message....

http://gcaptain.com/brexit-no-deal-means-no-trade-for-the-uk-economists-say/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Gcaptain+%28gCaptain.com%29

Basically no deal will cause Britain big problems. The EU can survive without British Goods and services so does not need Trade with Britain.......the converse may not apply for Britain who needs trade with the EU.

Little Englanders, we tried to tell you....

And if Corbyn and Labour get in their manifesto plans will help make British business less cost effective.....
User avatar
supporttheunderdog
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8180
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:03 pm
Location: limassol

Re: Little Englanders, we tried to tell you!

Postby Londonrake » Sun May 21, 2017 10:20 am

supporttheunderdog wrote:Another doom-laden message....

http://gcaptain.com/brexit-no-deal-means-no-trade-for-the-uk-economists-say/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Gcaptain+%28gCaptain.com%29

Basically no deal will cause Britain big problems. The EU can survive without British Goods and services so does not need Trade with Britain.......the converse may not apply for Britain who needs trade with the EU.

Little Englanders, we tried to tell you....

And if Corbyn and Labour get in their manifesto plans will help make British business less cost effective.....


The trouble with this subject is that, like a wheel, it keeps coming back to the same position. Then we start over. :D

Your statement that the EU doesn't need a trade deal is misleading. I've published the figures before somewhere on this Forum which show the amount and percentages, by country, of EU exports to the UK. For some countries they are very significant. You are talking about a UK trade imbalance with the EU to the tune of £60+ billion a year. That's not a figure to be divided by 27, it's concentrated almost exclusively in the major players, Germany, Netherlands, France, Belgium, Spain, Italy and Ireland. It involves many thousands of jobs and a significant slice of their export market. Ireland's economy would certainly be devastated, for instance.

Annual EU exports to the UK (figures expressed in £ sterling, not €):

Germany 59 billion
Netherlands 32 billion
France 23 billion
Belgium 21 billion
Italy 16 billion
Spain 15 billion
Ireland 12 billion

The combined total of 19 of the other EU members' GDPs doesn't add up to the UK's - just to add a little perspective and feel for what will be the likely weight of their views on the matter.

The idea still mooted by some Remainers :wink: that the EU can shrug these figures off as an irrelevance is clearly absurd. They are obviously a big deal for all concerned parties. Agreed?

Given that the UK is fully compliant with all EU trade criteria (unlike, say, Canada and Singapore with their trade deals) there's really no reason why an understanding couldn't be reached in a weekend. If people like the buffoon Junker want to "punish" the UK I suspect it's only a matter of time before somebody - well, it might just be a friendly looking granny-type from Germany - will have a quiet word in his ear. Personally, given his stumbling, inept performance so far I can't see the man finishing his time out.

What's being touted here is some sort of fanciful apocalyptic situation where absolutely all trade ceases. That would be a disaster for both sides, which is why it ain't gonna happen. Worst case would probably be reversion to WTO, which means we would be on the same playing field as a lot of the other major global traders. The same tariff barriers of course would apply to any EU goods going to the UK. That's gonna hurt everybody, as well.

I realise it's a pious thought but do you think there will ever come a time when all the doom 'n' gloom merchants will stop trawling for this stuff, accept the way the wind is blowing and for the sake of the country either zip it or get on board? No - me neither. :lol: What it means though is that you are just doing Junker/Barnier/Tusk's work for them, divide and conquer and we could all end up the worse off for it. Food for thought?
Londonrake
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 626
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:19 pm
Location: ROC

Re: Little Englanders, we tried to tell you!

Postby Tim Drayton » Sun May 21, 2017 12:37 pm

Sentiment changes. Winds change direction. This is what some of us are campaigning for. For the sake of the country.
User avatar
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Limassol/Lemesos

Re: Little Englanders, we tried to tell you!

Postby Robin Hood » Sun May 21, 2017 4:45 pm

Tim Drayton wrote:Sentiment changes. Winds change direction. This is what some of us are campaigning for. For the sake of the country.


Fancy words but what exactly are you campaigning for? :roll:

'You' might be sailing into a substantial headwind as I see that the 'Wrinkly Little Englanders' are deserting TM and her lead over JC is slipping, as she is threatening the well being of The Bank of Mum-and-Dad ...... no Nigel this time to vote for so maybe JC will be picking up their votes this time round as he is making the right noises? :wink: :D :D
Robin Hood
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2537
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Limassol

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Elections

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests