The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Miltiades's Anastasis

Feel free to talk about anything that you want.

Re: Miltiades's Anastasis

Postby Kikapu » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:29 pm

miltiades wrote:Limassol round abouts were created in order to be joyfully decorated at Christmas, Easter and if im not mistaken also at the Limassol wine festival, an event im eagerly looking forward to.
Having been driving for almost 50 years I fail to see traffic advantages of r/a over traffic lights.

I think that on at least 2 or 3 occasions i attented the Limassol wine festival, the wine dished out is by no means great but i did enjoy the ..Resi !!


Milti, roundabouts have many advantages over traffic lights.

1. You don't have to stop most of the time, which saves time.
2. Use less fuel as you maintain motion rather than stop/start.
3. Reduces bad accidents as one car tries to beat the read light on amber by speeding up as the other driver leaves a second too soon on the Green and then you have a file up in the middle of the junction.
4. You can't go too fast on a roundabout which makes it safer for everyone.
User avatar
Kikapu
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 13540
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:18 pm

Re: Miltiades's Anastasis

Postby miltiades » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:17 pm

I have not carried out any research on the advantages or indeed dissadvantages of Round abouts, my opinions are basrd solely on my personal driving " career " spanning almost half a century.

I have always considered r/as as inferior to traffic lights and a bit of a Russian roulette.
Mature experienced drivers might cope well entering and exiting a round about but a different kettle of fish for a young punk, boy or girl, who thinks that they are good drivers because they know which is the break and which pedal is the petrol.
Coming to and going to work 6 days a week over many years i concluded that round abouts are a bloidy nuisance as always traffic becomes much slower.
User avatar
miltiades
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16315
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:01 pm

Re: Miltiades's Anastasis

Postby Robin Hood » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:38 pm

miltiades wrote:I have not carried out any research on the advantages or indeed dissadvantages of Round abouts, my opinions are basrd solely on my personal driving " career " spanning almost half a century.

I have always considered r/as as inferior to traffic lights and a bit of a Russian roulette.
Mature experienced drivers might cope well entering and exiting a round about but a different kettle of fish for a young punk, boy or girl, who thinks that they are good drivers because they know which is the break and which pedal is the petrol.
Coming to and going to work 6 days a week over many years i concluded that round abouts are a bloidy nuisance as always traffic becomes much slower.


It is not the concept of the roundabout that is the problem, it is what I said originally, Cypriots in particular don’t have clue how to use them! Learn how to use them and observe the skills of good driving and they are safe and keep traffic moving far more efficiently and consistently than traffic lights. It is sub-standard driving that is the problem and that comes down to poor tuition. When you fly in a civil airliner you are safe because the guys up front abide by the rules. Follow that principal on the roads and most accidents would never happen. Utopia? Yes of course ..... especially here in Cyprus. :roll: :wink:
Robin Hood
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2510
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Limassol

Re: Miltiades's Anastasis

Postby Get Real! » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:08 pm

Fascinating stuff! 8)

:idea: You guys should get together and write a book on roundabouts.

Suggested titles…

“The fine art of negotiating roundabouts”

“Advanced roundabout-ing”

“When straight means around”

“When turning right is a bad idea”


Etc… etc…
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40372
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Miltiades's Anastasis

Postby Pyrpolizer » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:47 pm

Get Real! wrote:Fascinating stuff! 8)

:idea: You guys should get together and write a book on roundabouts.

Suggested titles…

“The fine art of negotiating roundabouts”

“Advanced roundabout-ing”

“When straight means around”

“When turning right is a bad idea”


Etc… etc…


We should call it "Get Roundabout!"
User avatar
Pyrpolizer
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 9084
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:33 pm

Re: Miltiades's Anastasis

Postby supporttheunderdog » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:04 pm

Robin Hood wrote:
miltiades wrote:The driving in Cyprus is horrendous. Disregarding a red light because is early morning and no cars coming is a violation og traffic regulations, its also indicative of the mentality that most drivers have. No courtecy to other drivers, incessant use of fucking mobiles, and a general need to drive fast and furiusly regardless of road conditions.
I love Cyprus but i abhore the diabolical driving habits. Today i saw two crushes, just could not fathom out how the fuck could two cars collide on a main road, then again both drivers were either going fast, tbey all do, or wete on the fucking mobiles.. Mate no excuse for incompetent drivers in a hurry to get from A to G ( grave).
I can only compare cypriot driving to that that I witnessed in Accra some years back.
There is NO civilized country in the world that permits going through red lights.


Wait till you try a roundabout!!! The Cypriots are clueless. Where else in Europe would you find drivers going from the outside lane (closest to the roundabout centre) to turn left across two lanes of traffic and then get upset when they find a vehicle is between them and the exit? Another entertainment is watching them joining the highway...... instead of speeding up to match the speed of the traffic ..... many slow down and treat it as a road junction.

The problem in Cyprus is the very poor level of driving instruction and a very low thresh hold to pass the test! :roll: :x

W

Are you sure that all take tests ? Stories from work colleagues (Cypriots all) suggest getting a driving license depends on the size of the brown envelope...
User avatar
supporttheunderdog
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8155
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:03 pm
Location: limassol

Re: Miltiades's Anastasis

Postby Pyrpolizer » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:15 pm

supporttheunderdog wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:
miltiades wrote:The driving in Cyprus is horrendous. Disregarding a red light because is early morning and no cars coming is a violation og traffic regulations, its also indicative of the mentality that most drivers have. No courtecy to other drivers, incessant use of fucking mobiles, and a general need to drive fast and furiusly regardless of road conditions.
I love Cyprus but i abhore the diabolical driving habits. Today i saw two crushes, just could not fathom out how the fuck could two cars collide on a main road, then again both drivers were either going fast, tbey all do, or wete on the fucking mobiles.. Mate no excuse for incompetent drivers in a hurry to get from A to G ( grave).
I can only compare cypriot driving to that that I witnessed in Accra some years back.
There is NO civilized country in the world that permits going through red lights.


Wait till you try a roundabout!!! The Cypriots are clueless. Where else in Europe would you find drivers going from the outside lane (closest to the roundabout centre) to turn left across two lanes of traffic and then get upset when they find a vehicle is between them and the exit? Another entertainment is watching them joining the highway...... instead of speeding up to match the speed of the traffic ..... many slow down and treat it as a road junction.

The problem in Cyprus is the very poor level of driving instruction and a very low thresh hold to pass the test! :roll: :x

W

Are you sure that all take tests ? Stories from work colleagues (Cypriots all) suggest getting a driving license depends on the size of the brown envelope...


LOL! Yeah try to do that and see what happens...
It was happening for a few years after independence though, don't know if it was a leftover from the British :mrgreen:

The REALITY is that too many people got their driving license long years ago when there were NO 2-3 LANE roundabouts here in Cyprus!
User avatar
Pyrpolizer
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 9084
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:33 pm

Re: Miltiades's Anastasis

Postby miltiades » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:50 pm

Irrespective whether one got his / her dtiving license by dubious means the fact of the matter is that the vast majoritu of drivers undisciplined, drive at high speeds, make as much bloody noise as possible and have little or no rrspect for other road users. It is endemic and contagious and it seems to me that a vehicle isnt merely a mode of transport to get you from a to b but a status symbol that demands high speed and fucking noise.

I find young women in paricular displaying utter ignorance of the purpose of a car using it as their ancestors would use a donkey. Young bearded men also consider a car as a tool not designed to get them from a to b but one that can be driven as fast as it will go and to make nausesting noise in the process. I dont mind the " park anywhere " habit but i do mind the high speed and noise.
User avatar
miltiades
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16315
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:01 pm

Re: Miltiades's Anastasis

Postby Kikapu » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:10 am

miltiades wrote:Irrespective whether one got his / her dtiving license by dubious means the fact of the matter is that the vast majoritu of drivers undisciplined, drive at high speeds, make as much bloody noise as possible and have little or no rrspect for other road users. It is endemic and contagious and it seems to me that a vehicle isnt merely a mode of transport to get you from a to b but a status symbol that demands high speed and fucking noise.

I find young women in paricular displaying utter ignorance of the purpose of a car using it as their ancestors would use a donkey. Young bearded men also consider a car as a tool not designed to get them from a to b but one that can be driven as fast as it will go and to make nausesting noise in the process. I dont mind the " park anywhere " habit but i do mind the high speed and noise.


Milti, when it comes to driving in any country, it all starts with enforcement of the rules by the police, which shapes the general attitude of the drivers where the rules are respected by ALL road users. This seems to be lacking in Cyprus, therefore, people drive in the way of their personality rather than what is right and safe, as well as being "road friendly". It is very easy for people to drive crazy when everyone else does it also, because it is easier to go with the flow than against it and it is very difficult to break old habits. Unless there is a major police enforcement of the rules of the road that may take some time to change the attitude of road users, things can only get worse in Cyprus.

Also, learn to sail and get yourself a very small sailboat, single hull or a Hobie cat (16-18 ft) to pass your time with on the water. It's a good way to keep cool on hot days and it's good to get away from the tourist on land for 2-3 hours at a time. :idea:
User avatar
Kikapu
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 13540
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:18 pm

Re: Miltiades's Anastasis

Postby miltiades » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:41 am

Im actually researching the possibility of adapting my Jag to an ...armour plated one......
User avatar
miltiades
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16315
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:01 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest