The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Road tax - penalty fee

Ask any specific question related to Cyprus.

Road tax - penalty fee

Postby CrookedRiverGuy » Mon May 22, 2017 3:12 pm

Noticed I had to pay a penalty fee of 17.92 when paying the road tax online.

Not that the amount kills me, but i was intrigued by it, as I cannot remember to have been in a position where I was at risk of a fine. What could it be? A parking fine? Speeding camera?
User avatar
CrookedRiverGuy
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 297
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:15 pm

Re: Road tax - penalty fee

Postby B25 » Mon May 22, 2017 3:23 pm

CrookedRiverGuy wrote:Noticed I had to pay a penalty fee of 17.92 when paying the road tax online.

Not that the amount kills me, but i was intrigued by it, as I cannot remember to have been in a position where I was at risk of a fine. What could it be? A parking fine? Speeding camera?


Usually a penalty payment is only if you make a late payment.

They don't add parking or speeding fines to this.
User avatar
B25
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 6075
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:03 pm
Location: ** Classified **

Re: Road tax - penalty fee

Postby CrookedRiverGuy » Mon May 22, 2017 7:44 pm

B25 wrote:
CrookedRiverGuy wrote:Noticed I had to pay a penalty fee of 17.92 when paying the road tax online.

Not that the amount kills me, but i was intrigued by it, as I cannot remember to have been in a position where I was at risk of a fine. What could it be? A parking fine? Speeding camera?


Usually a penalty payment is only if you make a late payment.

They don't add parking or speeding fines to this.


Thanks B25!

Makes sense, as I wasn't aware there was a dead-line :oops:
I thought it was OK not to pay as long as the car wasn't used - mixed it up with what applies to the MOT probably.
What is the due date?
User avatar
CrookedRiverGuy
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 297
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:15 pm

Re: Road tax - penalty fee

Postby B25 » Mon May 22, 2017 10:08 pm

CrookedRiverGuy wrote:
B25 wrote:
CrookedRiverGuy wrote:Noticed I had to pay a penalty fee of 17.92 when paying the road tax online.

Not that the amount kills me, but i was intrigued by it, as I cannot remember to have been in a position where I was at risk of a fine. What could it be? A parking fine? Speeding camera?


Usually a penalty payment is only if you make a late payment.

They don't add parking or speeding fines to this.


Thanks B25!

Makes sense, as I wasn't aware there was a dead-line :oops:
I thought it was OK not to pay as long as the car wasn't used - mixed it up with what applies to the MOT probably.
What is the due date?


Road tax is paid 1 week in January or first week in July. There is usually a grace period for each, but if you do it on time you never have to remember, thus avoiding penalties.

Normally you can have a 1 year or 6 months, but recently you can now also have 3 months, 6 months, 9 months or 12 months. So depending when your expires, do it then.


If you missed a payment, then next time you renew it will also be shown as arrears.

HTH.
User avatar
B25
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 6075
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:03 pm
Location: ** Classified **

Re: Road tax - penalty fee

Postby CrookedRiverGuy » Mon May 22, 2017 11:44 pm

Thanks again, B25 - it was really clarifying.

The grace period must've been pretty generous, because I always paid for a full year, but it hardly before March. I will keep it on my mind to pay faster next year :-)
User avatar
CrookedRiverGuy
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 297
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:15 pm


Return to Cyprus Questions and Answers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests