The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Do we think the term "solution" in the wrong way?

Propose and discuss specific solutions to aspects of the Cyprus Problem

The solution should be based on universally accepted principles (such as democracy and human rights) as they exist in all other democratic countries.

yes
13
93%
no
1
7%
 
Total votes : 14

Postby andri_cy » Mon May 08, 2006 4:17 am

michalis5354 wrote:Restrictions on relocation not movement this is what I mean! Otherwise a settlement will be very costly !



restrictions on relocation surely do not equal democracy... 8)
User avatar
andri_cy
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2491
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:35 am
Location: IN, USA

Postby andri_cy » Mon May 08, 2006 4:17 am

Sotos wrote:
ok. But it would be better if there are no restrictions. Why it would be more costly without restrictions?


Maybe he means all the compensation money and all that would need to be forked out?
User avatar
andri_cy
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2491
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:35 am
Location: IN, USA

Postby malaka » Mon May 08, 2006 5:48 am

andri_cy wrote:
Sotos wrote:
ok. But it would be better if there are no restrictions. Why it would be more costly without restrictions?


Maybe he means all the compensation money and all that would need to be forked out?


Andri

Can you please tell me how if you know why PM messages are ending up in the outbox folder instead of sent folder when I try to send a message.
User avatar
malaka
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:47 am
Location: AUSTRALIA

Postby Svetlana » Mon May 08, 2006 9:08 am

I believe they reside in the Outbox until they are read.

Lana
User avatar
Svetlana
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3094
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Paphos

Postby michalis5354 » Mon May 08, 2006 2:16 pm

Sotos wrote:
michalis5354 wrote:Restrictions on relocation not movement this is what I mean! Otherwise a settlement will be very costly !


ok. But it would be better if there are no restrictions. Why it would be more costly without restrictions?



You can't claim Bizonality and at the same time dont put restrictions on relocation. If such restrictions are not there then Bizonality will be seriously affected.

It will be very costly since People need to be accomodated in new homes to South and to North and therefore they will not stay at the place where they are at the moment!
User avatar
michalis5354
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1520
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:48 am

Postby michalis5354 » Mon May 08, 2006 2:19 pm

andri_cy wrote:restrictions on relocation surely do not equal democracy... 8)


Democracy does not mean 100 % freedom on what you do. Freedom according to rules and the LAw.

Otherwise we will be free to kill each other dont you think?

Are there laws in US that forbid people to do what they want? Of course US has laws and rules. Does this mean that you dont have democracy?
User avatar
michalis5354
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1520
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:48 am

Postby Alexis » Mon May 08, 2006 5:04 pm

You can't claim Bizonality and at the same time dont put restrictions on relocation. If such restrictions are not there then Bizonality will be seriously affected.

It will be very costly since People need to be accomodated in new homes to South and to North and therefore they will not stay at the place where they are at the moment!


Hi michalis5354,

Can you define the term 'bizonality'. I am interested to know what you think that means and how you define that term to back up your argument.

Democracy does not mean 100 % freedom on what you do. Freedom according to rules and the LAw.

Otherwise we will be free to kill each other dont you think?


Precisely right. But what you have missed out is that democracy allows the people to determine what those laws/rules are. So if the people determine that there sould be no restrictions on relocation then that would be the law to which we are held accountable. The big question is, how do we implement democracy in Cyprus in such a way that both communities have a fair influence on which laws are passed. Imo I think it is going to be difficult to convince GCs that they are permanently not allowed to relocate to another part of their country whilst nationals of another 24 foreign countries would not be restricted in this way. What you might convince them is that for the good of the country temporary transitions should be put in place.
Alexis
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 405
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:36 pm
Location: UK

Postby michalis5354 » Mon May 08, 2006 5:29 pm

Precisely right. But what you have missed out is that democracy allows the people to determine what those laws/rules are. So if the people determine that there sould be no restrictions on relocation then that would be the law to which we are held accountable. The big question is, how do we implement democracy in Cyprus in such a way that both communities have a fair influence on which laws are passed. Imo I think it is going to be difficult to convince GCs that they are permanently not allowed to relocate to another part of their country whilst nationals of another 24 foreign countries would not be restricted in this way. What you might convince them is that for the good of the country temporary transitions should be put in place.


Hello Alexis ,

DOnt assume things I have not implied! Yes the people will determine these laws and rules at negotiatios ,Alexis. No one ask you to accept the laws given to you by others am I clear now?

If people will not accept such restrictions I am afraid the model will not be bizonal but a mix unitary model. Wasnt Bizonality accepted in 1977 agreements?

If restrictions are not put in place then the TC zone will be likely to become a GC zone and vice versa do you see the point now.

I dont need to convince anyone here I express my personal viewpoint and you are welcomed to disagree of course!

How temporary restrictions preserve Bizonality in the long term ? I am afraid that the model we are searching for is Bizonal Bi commmunal Federation or somethinh else?
User avatar
michalis5354
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1520
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:48 am

Postby michalis5354 » Mon May 08, 2006 5:38 pm

It will be very costly for everyone to relocate when there is no reason to . Both Communities have settled down to South and to the North and asking them to re locate for one more time is not a wise thing to do!
User avatar
michalis5354
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1520
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:48 am

Postby Alexis » Mon May 08, 2006 5:41 pm

If people will not accept such restrictions I am afraid the model will not be bizonal but a mix unitary model. Wasnt Bizonality accepted in 1977 agreements?


Hi michalis,

This is actually a genuine question. What do you think bizonal actually means? I mean if I look up bizonal in the dictionary it does not help me understand your argument. What exactly was agreed in 1977? And more importantly what were the two community's takes on the term 'bizonal'? My impression is that it means something different to each. So, I am asking your opinion, what does bizonal mean to you and how does it relate to the argument regarding freedom of relocation?
Alexis
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 405
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:36 pm
Location: UK

PreviousNext

Return to Cyprus Problem Solution Proposals

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest