The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content

Being a Cypriot is an Honor, Pride & Privilege!

Feel free to talk about anything that you want.

Postby Natty » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:32 pm

Greek Cypriot Language
The Greek Cypriot language is an idiom (sometimes falsily, or in non-linguistic context, labeled as 'dialect') distinct from the formal Greek language (note that different idioms exist on many of the Greek islands) as it is spoken in mainland Greece. It is considered by linguists to be the second most important non-standard variety of modern Greek, after the Pontic Greek dialect spoken by Greek populations on the Black Sea Coast of Anatolia. Although all Cypriots understand mainland Greeks (as the vast majority of Greek language media is produced in mainland Greek), and all Cypriots are taught standard Greek in the Cypriot educational system, the Cypriot variety is not always mutually intelligible with the standard variant (mainly because of local pronunciation and idiomatic structures). This is particularly true of many of the localized cypriot idioms spoken in western Cyprus, around Pafos and in the Troodos mountains.

The Greek Cypriot language is a source of pride for the Greek Cypriot population - many Greek Cypriots consider the dialect to be closer to the Classical Greek language than standard Greek, thus providing a direct linkage between Greek Cypriots and noted ancient Greeks such as Homer and Plato. There are few scholarly works in English that explore the Cypriot dialect, probably because it is spoken by a limited number of people.

In many ways, the Greek Cypriot pride and interest in perpetuating their unique dialect and distinct identity from the mainland Greeks is similar to that of the Turkish Cypriots' interest in doing so with respect to the mainland Turkish dialect and population.

I found this quote on the Wikipedia page about the GC language, and I have to say, even though it is about the GC language, it's pretty much, almost how I feel about my identity...even though it's about the language... :lol:
Natty
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Mickleham » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:06 pm

Dear Natty,

When you refer to the following, most people understand these references as being:

Greek Cypriot = Greek {Hellene} national citizen residing in Cyprus!

Cypriots= Cypriot national citizen of the republic Of Cyprus!

This is to avoid any misunderstanding between the valuable members of the Cyprus forum!
Mickleham
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Natty » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:27 am

Mickleham wrote:Dear Natty,

When you refer to the following, most people understand these references as being:

This is to avoid any misunderstanding between the valuable members of the Cyprus forum!

Hi Mickleham, don't get me wrong, I am a Cypriot, and a proud Cypriot, through and through, but no matter how I try, I just can't deny my 'Greekness'.....I think Miltiades made a good point (sorry to get you involved Miltiades :)) when he said, 'My Greekness has fused with my Cypriotness'...or something along those lines... :shock: :D

I love Cyprus, and all Cypriots, whether they be GC, TC, Maronite, Latin, Armenian, etc...If we are to live together in a truly democratic country, we have to embrace both our differences and our similarities, instead of trying to suppress part of our identity in an attempt to 'make people happy'...if that makes any sense...

I will always be proud of my uniqueness as a Cypriot!!

As always, Peace! :)
Natty
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Mickleham » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:41 pm

Natty wrote:

Hi Mickleham, don't get me wrong, I am a Cypriot, and a proud Cypriot, through and through, but no matter how I try, I just can't deny my 'Greekness'.....I think Miltiades made a good point (sorry to get you involved Miltiades :)) when he said, 'My Greekness has fused with my Cypriotness'...or something along those lines... :shock: :D

I love Cyprus, and all Cypriots, whether they be GC, TC, Maronite, Latin, Armenian, etc...If we are to live together in a truly democratic country, we have to embrace both our differences and our similarities, instead of trying to suppress part of our identity in an attempt to 'make people happy'...if that makes any sense...

Natty,
I do appreciate your comments!
Your comments about your pride, and understanding should be an example for all to espouse!
Mickleham
Contributor
Contributor

Postby reportfromcyprus » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:26 pm

I'm proud to be a Cypriot and I care about the future of the country, that's why I sometimes complain about certain aspects of life here.

If I didn't care, I wouldn't bother complaining.

I know there's no such thing as utopia or a perfect country, but I don't want things like dead zones, buffer zones or danger zones. I would like to see more common ground, bridges between communities, and reaching out.

We don't all speak the same language on the island, but it doesn't mean we can't communicate. A smile is a start :)
reportfromcyprus
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Natty » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:29 pm

Mickleham wrote:
Natty wrote:

Natty,
I do appreciate your comments!
Your comments about your pride, and understanding should be an example for all to espouse!

Hi Mickleham, thank you very much, that's very sweet of you! I also appreciate your comments, and I think it's great the amount of pride and love you have for Cyprus!! :)
Natty
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Natty » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:31 pm

reportfromcyprus wrote:I'm proud to be a Cypriot and I care about the future of the country, that's why I sometimes complain about certain aspects of life here.

I know there's no such thing as utopia or a perfect country, but I don't want things like dead zones, buffer zones or danger zones. I would like to see more common ground, bridges between communities, and reaching out.

We don't all speak the same language on the island, but it doesn't mean we can't communicate. A smile is a start :)

Well said reportfromcyprus!! :)
Natty
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Ascot » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:27 pm

Natty wrote:
reportfromcyprus wrote:I'm proud to be a Cypriot and I care about the future of the country, that's why I sometimes complain about certain aspects of life here.

Well said reportfromcyprus!! :)

I agree with Natty too.

More effort should be made to reconsile all cypriots as a whole.
Ascot

Previous

Return to General Chat