The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content

Statement of the RoC President at the 61st UN Gen. Assembly

How can we solve it? (keep it civilized)

Postby debatez » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:32 am

yes yes I completely agree, the north is nothing more than a psuedo state . . .like you said, TC's are coming to the south everyday to take advantage of the functional economy. Turkey is completely to balme, all settlors and turkish troops should be removed as these are some of the attempts in illegal colonisation. . The requests for lifting embargoes and the fact the Turkey still does not recognise the Republic of Cyprus represents thier stubborness to move toward a just solution
debatez

Postby humanist » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:42 am

unfortunately that is my viewpoint in the political world I don't even exist. I am not convinced that this war was imposed for the reasons that it was claimed have been. I do believe it was serviving the political needs of the US & UK primarily .... under the pretence that it was to safeguard the needs of Cypriots of Turkish Speaking background.
humanist
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Postby debatez » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:56 am

Yes i completely agree. This was all planned. .the green line was drawn up way before the 1974 invasion . .that is why famagusta is a gohst town because they didnt have it in the original line for area to illegally occupy . .They were always looking for an excuse to invade. . thats why the guarantors and provisions were set up . .the 1600 missing persons, 200,000 displaced and tens of thousands killed for what ?? for the benefit of TURKEY, US, UK. . 32 years of suffering is bad enough

regards
debatez
debatez

Postby humanist » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:17 am

Thank you! but am becoming a bit disillussioned by the whole thing especially when I hear the stuff said on this forum. I guess there is no reason for the lives lost, including my 17 - year old uncle at the time. However I am happy to let that one go if it means that Cypriots can come together and join hands as one community free to live and choose to live where they wish, refugees back to their properties, if they wish to return otherwise be appropriately compensated. Turkish & British troops out of Cyprus.
humanist
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Postby Kifeas » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:40 am

debatez wrote:Hi Kifeas

Hi how are you? I see on your avatar that you are from Lapithos. I am interested as that was the last place my uncle was seen - he is a missing soldier of the 1974 invasion. His name is Andreas Eleftheriades.

Hello debatez,

Yes I am indeed from Lapithos, and I was 9 y.o. in 1974. I assume your uncle was serving the National Guard in 1974. Do you know any other details about him? Lapithos and Karavas were occupied after a very intensive fight (the most intensive during the whole 74 invasion) that lasted almost 5 days, from 31/7 - 5 /8 /1974, during the cease fire period. Turkish Troops continued moving and occupying areas even during the cease fire period. In Lapithos /Karavas fights, there were heavy casualties from both sides, and many civilians from the villages.

What else do you wish to know?
Kifeas
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Postby debatez » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:15 pm

thanks for the reply, I know that he was there before and during the invasion . .yes he was a Cypriot soldier. His military base was also in Lapithos
debatez

Postby debatez » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:17 pm

Thank you! but am becoming a bit disillussioned by the whole thing especially when I hear the stuff said on this forum. I guess there is no reason for the lives lost, including my 17 - year old uncle at the time. However I am happy to let that one go if it means that Cypriots can come together and join hands as one community free to live and choose to live where they wish, refugees back to their properties, if they wish to return otherwise be appropriately compensated. Turkish & British troops out of Cyprus.

humanist, my 18 year old uncle is still a missing soldier as well. . he was last seen in Lapithos in 1974, his name was Andreas Eleftheriades
debatez

Postby humanist » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:49 pm

My friend I am sorry to hear of your families loss and subsequent grief ...... my uncle was missing till about 4 years ago when they found his remains and they did some DNA testing and was identified. I am glad that he died on Cyprus land rather than not being able to be found.

As a child I was hoping he would have been taken to Turkey and set free and that he would have met someone got married and had kids. Of-course I didn't know that the world can be so cruel and that was only a dream.

I hope that you and your family find some resolution soon.
humanist
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Postby debatez » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:27 am

thanks humanist . .i am hoping my uncle was set free in turkey. Sorry to hear about your uncle but atleast you now know his fate. . My grandfather and family will not accept he is dead untill remains are found. . we hope that one day we will recieve some news
debatez

Previous

Return to Cyprus Problem