The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content

Can Greeks live with Turks ???

How can we solve it? (keep it civilized)

will there ever be a resolve between the two sides

Poll ended at Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:46 pm

Yes
61%
No
39%

Total votes : 31

Postby free_cyprus » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:11 pm

Simon
you talk a lot of shit when it comes to cyprus. we do not need to depend on either turkey greece or britain for anything mate,i remember cyprus when we had nothing but we had some unity we lived together and if left alone we would have spoke two languages this does not make us greek or turkish, its like saying 200 million brazilians are portugese what a joke, or half a billion spanish speaking south americans are spanish. educate your brain mate. did you know when ghandi libirated india from british rule only 32 percent of india spoke the native tongue of india the the 68 percent of the mojority of india did not speak the native tongue. you do yourself discredit when you say your turk or a greek or that mojority or minority its bollox mate there is no such thing you creat it by playing into outsiders hands by thinking you are one or the other speaking greek does not make you greek anymore then speaking turkish makes you turkish.once upon a time we spoke arabica when we were ruled by iraq then we spoke persion when we were ruled by them then romans and the list goes on and on over 5 thousand years and we are still accupied we are still slaves in chains mentaly phisicaly and emorionaly
free_cyprus
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Simon » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:36 pm

Free, to be fair, I think it is you who talk shit mate.

It is clear from your posts that you obviously have never picked up a history book, especially in relation to Cyprus. Well it isn't my job to educate you. What I will say is that you focused on the language point, when I think I had only mentioned it once, in a very long post. I never placed any emphasis on language defining our identity; so why did you? Probably because you haven't got a clue about anything else. You are right, language doesn't count for much, I never said it did. However, you are wrong when saying we spoke all those different languages. The rulers and their servants may have, but I think you will find the majority of the average people spoke Greek. This is especially true from the Roman times onwards, as the eastern Roman empire was very Greek anyway, as was the Byzantine empire that followed it. I was merely pointing out that it is one of our links to a Greek heritage. You go on about Arabic and all these other cultures, languages etc; but it is kind of strange how Greek is the one that stuck for 78% of the population, even though they were the earliest settlers.

We do not need to depend on Turkey, Britain or Greece for anything? This shows how you have absolutely no grasp of the situation. Do you have any idea how much Cyprus earns from British tourists and how crucial it is for the Cypriot economy? Or that Britain and Greece are by far Cyprus' largest direct foreign investors? Cyprus is a very small island and we depend on outside influences; as does almost every country in the world nowadays due to globalisation. You are clueless mate, go and read a book.

You remember when we were left alone and had some unity? :lol: :lol:
When was this? Cyprus has had major interference and division ever since the Ottomons invaded! :lol: And before this!

I don't create anything. We are what we are. I myself accept that for Cyprus to unite, we must all GCs and TCs put Cyprus first. However, I cannot ever see Cyprus truly uniting; as TCs don't want it, and Turkey and the USA won't allow it. Try telling the thousands of Cypriots who celebrated OXI day that they have no links to Greece. :roll:
Simon
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby free_cyprus » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:16 pm

Simon
your reply tells me it is you who have no education. you seem to be so sure cyprus was populated by greeks and they spoke greek what a joke. whos history books are you reading the ones that orinted in greece or turkey they both claim we are settlers from their native countries and do you believe their history books lol please spare me. simon if you are from cyprus and i dont care what language you speak your blood is soo mixed you will find many cultures int hat blood of yours the reason being occupations from outsiders so dont tell me you are greek or turkish.

regarding united cyprus it is not only turkey greece britain and the united states thats in the way but our own people are in the way they think they are turkish and greeks lol as for your reply

this is what you wrote
Try telling the thousands of Cypriots who celebrated OXI day that they have no links to Greece.
then i say to why do they have greek flags flying all over cyprus not only all over cyprus but goverment buildings . also why d they watch so much greek telly from greece. and songs from greece this is not only true of the greek speaking from cyprus but turkish speaking to this is where the problem lies
free_cyprus
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby free_cyprus » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:18 pm

simon furthermore to your reply to me you are greek mate not a cypriot your reply tells me this clearly im a cypriot thats where we differ
free_cyprus
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby free_cyprus » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:24 pm

simon this si what you wrote
The Greeks came to Cyprus 1,250 years BEFORE Christ was born; when there were barely a few mud-huts in Cyprus with perhaps no more than a few thousand people living here. The Greeks brought civilisation and culture to Cyprus; and Cyprus has retained its Greek identity ever since. Greeks never forced their name on any Cypriot; Cypriots are mainly settlers from Greece, there is a big difference there. You seem to be implying that the Greeks are one of the foreigners, who have raped and tortured Cyprus over the years. This is simply false and a distortion of history.

your narrow mind is what distorts history simon. you have been brained washed into thinking you are greek and you will defend that right in all couses.
free_cyprus
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Simon » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:29 pm

Free, not only are you thick but you clearly can't read properly. Nowhere have I said what I am. I have simply made observations about the current situation which you try to deny, pathetically.

You are now denying the settling of Greeks and Turks on Cyprus? Oh brother. :roll: I feel as if I'm insulting my own intelligence replying to you. Everybody has mixed blood, what does that matter?

So basically you are saying everybody is in the way. LOL. Hence, my saying true unification will not happen. You're a dope. :lol: If Cypriots consider themselves as Greek, then they are. What you need to understand is; an individual is what he feels. If someone feels ethnically British, Greek, Turkish, Cypriot; that is what they truly are. Artificial factors like blood are secondary issues in today's world.

To the last part of your post; thank you, what you have done there is prove my point that Cypriots feel strong cultural links to Greece. I do not think this is anything to be ashamed of like you; and as long as we put Cyprus first, this is not a factor that would stop unification either.
Simon
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Simon » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:32 pm

Everything I have written above is factually correct. Read any independent history book. It is you that cannot accept history because it doesn't suit the arguments conjured up by your little brain (if I can call it that).
Simon
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby free_cyprus » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:41 pm

simon fuck you fuck the greeks and fuck the turks fuck your history and fuck your brains you are the worse kind of cypriot wanker of all wankers sooo fuck off and wave your greek flags and if your tired of that start waving the turkish flag either way i couldnt give a shit. soo dont tell me about history mate i know my history and i know the history of cyprus and its not the greek or turkish version you read. just keep calling yourself greek or turk cos thats what suits you for me i say fuck them all who say they are turks or hreek and they are from cyprus. as you can see i have big mouth and i have no problem expressing myself
free_cyprus
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Bill » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:47 pm

Now this is going to cause a rapid response from quite a few forum members.

A lot of you go on about Greeks and Turkish whilst speaking about Cypriots as if you have a pure blood line to your motherland.

I propose this to you -- you are Cypriots -- some Greek speaking some Turkish speaking.

just imagine the amount of times Cyprus has been invaded / occupied by various other countries over the last few hundred years.

These warriors / soldiers / armies didn't just come and say hello -- they raped and pillaged whilst on their way through Cyprus leaving a mixed race throughout the Island over the years and many invasions .

So lets have a look at your possible blood line whether you are Greek or Turkish Cypriot it doesn't matter you have been subjected over time to the same conditions.

It's an interesting concept for all you nationalistic Greek and Turkish Cypriots to ponder on .

ca. 8500 BC: Possible first human settlement by epipalaeolithic hunters and gatherers at Aetokremnos possibly arriving from Southwestern Europe

2700-1900: Early Bronze age. First rectangular houses, re-introduction of cattle from Middle East, introduction of plough. Phoenician and Assyrian influences .

1400 BC Mycenaeans reach the island as settlers

1300-1200 BC Several waves of Achaean Greeks come to settle on the island bringing with them the Greek language, their religion, their customs.

750 King Evagoras of Salamis (who ruled from 411-374 BC) rebels against Persia and unifies the island city Kingdoms become one.

709 BC: Assyrian conquest of Cyprus by king Sargon II (721-705 BC) of Assyria

570 BC: conquest by the Egyptians under Amasis.

450 BC: Phoenician rulers in Salamis

Ca. 380 BC: Persian reconquest,

301-30 BC Ptolemaic Lagid Dynasty

58 BC Cyprus becomes a Roman province

115-116: A messianic Jewish revolt results in the massacre of 240,000 Cypriots. Trajan intervenes to restore the peace and expels the Jews from Cyprus.

395 AD Cyprus becomes part of the Byzantine Empire.

647 The Arabs invade Cyprus under Muawiya and occupy it.

1192 Cyprus captured by Richard I of England whilst on his way to Acre. The island is sold to the Templar Order, who in turn sell it to Guy of Lusignan.

1192-1489 Guy of Lusignan and his descendants rule Cyprus as an independent kingdom

1489-1571 Cyprus becomes an overseas colony of the Venetian Republic after having been purchased from the last member of the Lusignan dynasty.

1571 Having been put under siege the previous year, Famagusta is captured and Cyprus is under Ottoman Empire rule. First Ottoman settlers.

1925: Cyprus becomes a British Crown Colony

1960: British, Greek and Turkish governments sign a Treaty of Guarantee to provide for an independent Cypriot state within the Commonwealth of Nations .

So lets face it both of you irrespective of being Greek speaking or Turkish speaking you are as far removed from your "motherland" bloodline as you can possibly be over the passage of time .

The UK has the same problem -- so many "English" people say they are from true English blood stock but in reality they are a mixture from various invading nations.

So I put a proposal to you -- lay down your Greek and Turkish flags and pledge allegiance to your mother land -- Cyprus -- as a mixed ( over the many years ) race of Cypriots

Wow what a concept -- Cypriots in Cyprus.

And for those of you who seem to have only utter contempt for the British just remember there may be a bit more British blood in you than you would care to admit

I'll now duck and wait for the missiles

Bill
Last edited by Bill on Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby free_cyprus » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:54 pm

Bill
this si what i been trying to say all along all we are is greek speaking and turkish speaking in cyprus nothing else as your history shows we have blood from all over the world every fucker with power has raped cyprus so how can we be greek or turkish never never never i will die saying and rejecting these words never . hands of cyprus i say to greece turkey and britain. leave us be
free_cyprus
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Cyprus Problem