The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content

good will gesture

How can we solve it? (keep it civilized)

Postby Tim Drayton » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:03 pm

Has Ercan airport been massively expanded or upgraded of late? I last used it about ten years ago. I recall there being one terminal building about the size of a small supermarket, and you actually walked down some steps from the plane and across the tarmac to get to it.
The Ercan that I remember, while being perfectly adequate for the number of flights it handled, certainly did not rival Larnaca for facilities.
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

What about Paphos airport?

Postby cymart » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:44 pm

The new terminal opens this autumn BUT it will still have no jetties to connect the terminal with the planes so come rain or shine,passengers will still have to use buses and queue on the steps to board!!Larnaca will have jetties so there is no excuse for this incompetency and total waste of public money!
Ercan opened a new terminal building a few years ago but I have heard complaints about the building being dirty,especially the w.c's etc.
Sorry professor but we are all sick of this legal jargon about recognition and non recognition etc.The former Pres. was a master of using it to avoid negotiations and thank God Christophias will not allow his hands to be tied by it!He said the other day that if we play with words instead of negotiating we could go on for ever and those who are using it as a pretext to hide the fact that they don't accept a federal solution with political equality for both sides in their component states should say so openly....
cymart
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Tim Drayton » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:18 pm

Tim Drayton wrote:Has Ercan airport been massively expanded or upgraded of late? I last used it about ten years ago. I recall there being one terminal building about the size of a small supermarket, and you actually walked down some steps from the plane and across the tarmac to get to it.
The Ercan that I remember, while being perfectly adequate for the number of flights it handled, certainly did not rival Larnaca for facilities.

I have done some research and can answer my own question. It seems that Ercan airport was renovated and upgraded to international standards, and reopened on 11 May 2004.
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Postby repulsewarrior » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:57 am

will result in a new partnership and a new constitution for Cyprus that will govern the relations of the two communities on a federal basis that is bi-communal as regards the constitutional aspects and bi-zonal as regards the territorial aspects.

is not one of majority and minority but one of two communities in the federal republic of Cyprus. It safeguards the cultural, religious, political, social and linguistic identity of each community.

The federal republic will be one territory composed of two politically equal federated states.

The demilitarization of the federal republic remains an objective

The territory under the administration of each community should be discussed in the light of economic viability or productivity and land ownership.

(i) The Federal Republic of Cyprus shall have international personality. The federal government shall exercise sovereignty in respect of all of the territory. The attributes of international personality shall be exercised by the federal government in accordance with the federal constitution. The provinces or federated states may act in their areas of competence in accordance with the federal constitution and in a manner that would not duplicate the powers and functions of the federal government as defined in the federal constitution.

b) As a full member of the European Union, Federal Cyprus will solve also its defence and security problem because they will be covered by the respective agreements of all European Union members.

...some clips from your helpful links.

halil, you should consider a system of voting, for a Federal Government, where all citizens vote in exactly the same way.

Voting thricely, as I have suggested secures that the President, whether "Turkish" or "Greek", to win must provide "Turkish" candidates and "Greek" candidates, with a leadership based on Principals. In this system, extremists of any kind would be elected, only if the majority of both populations, is a majority in their extremism (and this is democracy).
Thus, each citizen can recognise their own distinction and their equality as individual citizens having the same intentions for their good governance.

Two National Assemblies will exist, Halil. It is for Greek Cypriots to found one like your own. And it is for all of us to create a "Virgin Birth" by voting for the first time for a New Leadership based on a Constitution that is reformed.

defining "bizonal" as two bodies each composed of parts allows for our development of the island futuristicly, and it will provide for us a clear demonstration of our desire to provide to the victims, and the displaced a significant opportunity for them to rebuild thier lives with a sense of Justice seen; for some the opportunity to return as a community.
repulsewarrior
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Postby repulsewarrior » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:58 am

a little redundant, but here is a good goodwill gesture.

12.1 The Nicosia international airport will be reopened under interim United Nations administration with free access from both sides. The United Nations will conclude the arrangements to that effect by....

Draft Framework Agreement on Cyprus, 29 March 1986
repulsewarrior
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Postby roseandchan » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:41 am

great idea repulsewarrior. and btw cymart ercan airport is not dirty atall its clean modern and very good. it reminds me of norwich airport in the uk. small but perfectly formed.
roseandchan
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Nikitas » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:29 am

let me see now, Nicosia, Larnaca, Paphos, Lakatamia, Ercan, Lefkoniko, Akrotiri, all these are airports in an island of approximately 150 by 60 miles. Best goodwill gesture would be to shut all of them down, renovate Nicosia airport and rehabilitate the rest back to their natural state.

Goodwill in our case is offering tangible proof that Cypriots love Cyprus and that involves practical things and not theory.
Nikitas
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Postby roseandchan » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:34 pm

hi dt basically from day to day experiences. i don't see the roc applying with e.u laws. fake goods is one point. disabled access is another. assylum. equality among all e.u citizens. i am a e.u citizen but i cannot use your hospitals or get free care paid for by your gov, so you can come to the uk and use ours but not the other way around. has the 1 donum per foreigner changed yet? again another unfair rule.the treatment of animals most e.u countries would be appalled by cyprus standards. just lots and lots of day to day things i see. for me it doesn't matter so much as the trnc looks after our medical needs ok.
roseandchan
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby repulsewarrior » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:29 am

Nikitas wrote:let me see now, Nicosia, Larnaca, Paphos, Lakatamia, Ercan, Lefkoniko, Akrotiri, all these are airports in an island of approximately 150 by 60 miles. Best goodwill gesture would be to shut all of them down, renovate Nicosia airport and rehabilitate the rest back to their natural state.

Goodwill in our case is offering tangible proof that Cypriots love Cyprus and that involves practical things and not theory.

Taking advantage of this island's geographic position will mean providing for a population of 12 million inhabitants (in 200 years). Becoming this Hub, is natural in a socio-economic sense. It is why Mankind can trace its roots to Neolithic times, here, and in relation to the populations which surround Cyprus this is even more important, because few can demonstrate a Society which has a better Rule of Law and Good Governance, presently.

Having so many airports, (perhaps bigger or more in the future) is an idea which if profitable, may mean enourmous revenues for the State (and its partners) from them, directly, but the consequences some time in the future will require this "point" to be supra militarised, so that yes, for travelers all over the world, they will say, "transfering in Cyprus", (rather than an Airport's name,) going to anywhere ...

...think positively for a second, Turkey, a member of an EU that is 50-100 years older, Jerusalem at peace, and across the wider shore, Africa, free from hunger. Nice picture for us to live in, where we are, huh?

...now imagine the affects of Global Warming (and Ocean Acidification), how will we survive as a desert?

We must become "big" enough in any case to make our island a garden.
repulsewarrior
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Postby CBBB » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:29 am

Can I have some of what your drinking repulsewarrior?
CBBB
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Cyprus Problem