The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content

The UK’s Human Rights Abuses Portfolio…

Benefits and problems from the EU membership.

Postby Get Real! » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:41 pm

---------------------------------------------------------------------
UK - Amnesty International Report 2008

“The UK continued to attempt to return individuals to states where they would face a real risk of grave human rights violations on the strength of unenforceable “diplomatic assurances”. Secrecy in the implementation of counter-terrorism measures led to unfair judicial proceedings. There were continued failures of accountability for past violations, including in relation to alleged state collusion in killings in Northern Ireland. The government sought to limit the extraterritorial application of human rights protection, in particular in relation to the acts of its armed forces in Iraq. Women who were subject to immigration control and had experienced violence in the UK, including domestic violence and trafficking, were unable to access the support they needed. Rejected asylum-seekers continued to be forced into destitution.”

http://www.amnesty.org/en/region/uk/report-2008

Amnesty condemns UK's 'human rights violations'

"Amnesty International has today accused the British government of "serious human rights violations" in its annual report."

http://www.politics.co.uk/News/domestic ... 440859.htm

UK police DNA bank a 'human rights violation'

“LONDON, England (CNN) -- The British police practice of keeping DNA records of anyone they arrest is a human rights violation, The European Court of Human Rights ruled unanimously Thursday.”

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/12 ... index.html

“How the UK Government is enabling the violation of human rights overseas ActionAid UK submission to the Universal Periodic Review of the UN Human Rights Council, November 2007.”

http://lib.ohchr.org/HRBodies/UPR/Docum ... ission.pdf

Court rules 90s UK.gov wiretaps violated human rights

“Liberty called for an overhaul of RIPA yesterday after the European Court of Human Rights slapped the UK government over the way it applied the UK's previous interception legislation.”

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/02 ... judgement/

Amnesty International's reaction to Law Lords' judgment in the Al-Skeini & Others case

“Amnesty International today calls on the UK authorities to act decisively to ensure accountability for actions of UK armed forces and officials in Iraq for alleged violations of human rights and humanitarian law. In particular, Amnesty International calls on the UK authorities to establish an adequately resourced civilian-led expert mechanism to conduct independent, impartial and thorough investigations into allegations of human rights violations at the hands of UK armed forces personnel.”

http://www.amnestyusa.org/document.php? ... R450082007

UK troops violated human rights of Basra Iraq detainees: Defense
Ministry

“UK Secretary of State for Defence Des Browne [official profile] admitted Thursday that British soldiers had violated the human rights of several Iraqi detainees in Basra in 2003, saying that the Ministry of Defence would specifically admit to substantive breaches of the European Convention on Human Rights [PDF text] at a hearing scheduled to take place Friday.”

http://jurist.law.pitt.edu/paperchase/2 ... hts-of.php

UNITED KINGDOM Human rights: a broken promise

“…However, the erosion of human rights by government policies purporting to fight terrorism -- a tendency well-developed over decades in relation to the conflict in Northern Ireland -- was given renewed impetus by the UK's actions in response to the attacks in the USA on 11 September 2001.”

http://www.amnestyusa.org/document.php? ... R450042006

Image My word!
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Oracle » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:05 pm

See, GR! ... This may have been interesting, once :? ... But now, your judgement is flawed (thanks to the company you keep) and your sources are IN-credible! ... What's more, your allegiances are in disrepute. One day you condemn the TCs .... next day, you court them!

On the one hand, you condemn US and UK for their actions, and on the other hand, you behave worse against another country (Greece) than they have done, relatively speaking ... You build up the lies and attack! You are an Imperialist!

So, nope! ... It don't do it for me, no longer!

You word is MUD ....

I'll look up my own sources, and judge them accordingly, clearly and logically ... as will everyone else who has witnessed your display!
Oracle
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Postby Get Real! » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:46 pm

Oracle wrote:See, GR! ... This may have been interesting, once :? ... But now, your judgement is flawed (thanks to the company you keep) and your sources are IN-credible! ... What's more, your allegiances are in disrepute. One day you condemn the TCs .... next day, you court them!

On the one hand, you condemn US and UK for their actions, and on the other hand, you behave worse against another country (Greece) than they have done, relatively speaking ... You build up the lies and attack! You are an Imperialist!

You word is MUD ....

I'll look up my own sources, and judge them accordingly, clearly and logically ... as will everyone else who has witnessed your display!

You have fallen from grace and unless you get your act together you risk getting toasted… :wink:
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Oracle » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:57 pm

Get Real! wrote:
Oracle wrote:See, GR! ... This may have been interesting, once :? ... But now, your judgement is flawed (thanks to the company you keep) and your sources are IN-credible! ... What's more, your allegiances are in disrepute. One day you condemn the TCs .... next day, you court them!

You word is MUD ....

You have fallen from grace and unless you get your act together you risk getting toasted… :wink:

I would say "Ditto" ... but you are already toasted! :lol:
Oracle
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Re: The UK’s Human Rights Abuses Portfolio…

Postby joe » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:18 pm

Get Real! wrote:The UK’s Human Rights Abuses Portfolio…

This forum is not for you to display your lunacy. May i remind you that tourism (of which Brits represent the lion's share of tourist arrivals) is the driving force of the Cypriot economy. Please go away. Now.
joe
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Get Real! » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:10 pm

joe wrote:

This forum is not for you to display your lunacy.

Where do you suggest we should expose the UK’s lunacy? Jimbo’s forum? I’m open to suggestions… :)

May i remind you that tourism (of which Brits represent the lion's share of tourist arrivals) is the driving force of the Cypriot economy.

No, you may not because you haven't got your facts right.
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby RichardB » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:09 pm

May i remind you that tourism (of which Brits represent the lion's share of tourist arrivals) is the driving force of the Cypriot economy.

You mean the tight arsed buggers* who whinge about the prices without realising its the weak UK pound which makes things seem expensive.

* The above comments excludes poushto englezos with chirokitan ties who sensibly support the Cy economy by drinking copious amounts of local alchoholic beverages whilst amusing and supporting the local Nicosian community.
RichardB
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Postby JimB » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:43 pm

Get Real! wrote:
joe wrote:

This forum is not for you to display your lunacy.

Where do you suggest we should expose the UK’s lunacy? Jimbo’s forum? I’m open to suggestions… :)

No, you may not because you haven't got your facts right.

Right guy's - packed sorted and ready for early morning flight to UK.

Will take a look at this once I return.

I've been using / posting on this forum for the best part of two years - ask CBBB if he thinks I'm the type to walk away (nothing intended Martin - just illustrating a point, and yes I do follow the forum even if I don't normally post that often).

Noticed that the 'where's Jimbo' topic has disappeared. Mark of respect? or did somebody embarrass themselves? ...

Shame ....

Catch you all in a few days. Take care.

PS - Thanks for the messages of support. You know who you are.
JimB

Postby Get Real! » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:51 pm

JimB wrote:Right guy's - packed sorted and ready for early morning flight to UK.

It must be the British ministry of foreign affairs… I think you’re getting sacked Jimbo! :lol:

I've been using / posting on this forum for the best part of two years - ask CBBB if he thinks I'm the type to walk away (nothing intended Martin - just illustrating a point, and yes I do follow the forum even if I don't normally post that often).

And what were the odds CBBB gave you of coming out alive from this? :lol:

Noticed that the 'where's Jimbo' topic has disappeared. Mark of respect? or did somebody embarrass themselves? ...

More like divine intervention saving the British arse... yet again!

Comfort is something you would’ve definitely needed Jimbo, because I take no prisoners… but alas, it was not meant to be; the first night you were plastered, on the second Tutankhamen’s uncle’s granny died, and now the foreign affairs department have summoned you! Image
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby JimB » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:00 am

Get Real! wrote:
JimB wrote:Right guy's - packed sorted and ready for early morning flight to UK.

It must be the British ministry of foreign affairs… I think you’re getting sacked Jimbo! :lol:

And what were the odds CBBB gave you of coming out alive from this? :lol:

More like divine intervention saving the British arse... yet again!

Comfort is something you would’ve definitely needed Jimbo, because I take no prisoners… but alas, it was not meant to be; the first night you were plastered, on the second Tutankhamen’s uncle’s granny died, and now the foreign affairs department have summoned you! Image

GR you really are a nasty cunt ....
JimB

Next

Return to Cyprus and the European Union