The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content

Cyprus Forum - European Union...

Benefits and problems from the EU membership.

Cyprus Forum - European Union...

Postby cannedmoose » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:14 pm

Hi folks, since Admin has made me moderator of this section, I want to try and liven up the debate a little. It's the ghost town of the forum and given Cyprus' membership of the EU should be a hotbed of debate. I would have thought all your eurosceptics out there would be screaming about some of the issues going on right now.

I also accord with the guidelines posted by MicAtCyp in the Cyprob section of this forum. Therefore I have copied them below... credit to MicAtCyp for creating them.

Moderating the forum

Dear friends,

Please notice the following.

1. Name calling is not permitted.
Please send me or any other moderator a PM when you encounter such a case stating thread title and page number. The post will then be edited accordinly. Do not reply to the specific phrase do not quote it in your replies and do not comment on it. The reason is if you do then I will only have three choices. Either edit all posts - which is very difficult, or edit some and delete some which is again difficult, or delete all of them - which is the easiest thing to do.

2. Personal attacks.
These are posts targeting the personality of member. You can fight with your arguments someone elese arguments and thesis, but you cannot attack his personality as such. If during this procedure you draw conclusions for his/her personality keep them for yourself. Do not propagate them and do not seek other members verification of your conclusions.
Same action will be taken as per paragraph 1.

3. One line posts.

Generally such posts should be avoided unless they concern questions and short answers. Such posts will be first screnned as to who the writer is. Posts coming from volume contributors will generally (but not always) be exempted. The same for persons having difficulties with English.
If they come from persons who do not really contribute and whose participation is mostly short and one line posts then they will be deleted IF a) they are allegoric or not clear in what they say b) they do not clearly push the discussion forward c) the discussion would lose nothing either they exist or not
One line replies to deleted one line posts will also be deleted to preserve the course of discussion.

I am sure everybody understands the concept of one line posts. 6 words split in 3 separate lines still make a "one line post". One single phrase that takes 1. 5 lines still makes a one line post. . .

4. Personal conversations/questions and enquiries.
Please avoid doing this unless you are sure they might interest others to hear them. In such cases it's better to use your Private message board.

5. Staying on topic.
Everybody knows most discussions never stay on topic, however, this is a specific section of the forum and members should ensure that they remain close to the topic at hand in all posts. When you realise that please start a new thread on a new topic. You can also send a PM to a moderator describing the posts you think should be moved from one thread to another, or to a new thread you created. Notice that each page of this forum contains 10 posts.

It goes without saying that all forum rules should be followed.
Wish you nice and productive discussions.

If you have any comments or suggestions please send me a PM.
Last edited by cannedmoose on Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
cannedmoose
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Postby cannedmoose » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:01 am

Staying on topic: Guidelines

Since this is a serious section of the forum discussing serious issues, failure to stay on topic may result in your post being moved to another section or deleted entirely. The moderator will first communicate with you to advise on their decision, following which, you will have a defined period of time to amend your previous post. Failure to do so will result in either of the two defined actions. This section of the forum is to discuss Cyprus EU membership and anything relating to it - one example of which is Turkey's prospective candidacy of the EU, which has a direct impact on Cyprus.

Discussion of issues relating to genocide, religion (outside the confines of how it affects Turkey's candidacy) and other topics should remain outside this section.
cannedmoose
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Return to Cyprus and the European Union