The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content

ICG at it again cyprus Six Steps towards a settlement

How can we solve it? (keep it civilized)

ICG at it again cyprus Six Steps towards a settlement

Postby boulio » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:37 am

Those wild and crazy guys in Brussels are at it again:

http://www.crisisgroup.org/en/regions/e ... ement.aspx
boulio
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Get Real! » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:44 am

Nothing new. We've already posted that shit ages ago.
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby boulio » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:45 am

i was written today.
boulio
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Get Real! » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:46 am

boulio wrote:i was written today.

I'm pretty sure it's exactly the same as that produced 2-3 years ago with a slight modification and reference to 2010 at the end!
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby boulio » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:55 am

no i think this may be a little different first time i see the icg mention the return of varoshia on there own recommondations.plus mentioning about counting troop evels and most likely a census.maybe wrong.
boulio
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby DTA » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:09 am

So what if I as a Tc accept what is being proposed do the the Gcs agree?
DTA
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby boulio » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:32 am

i think g/c would agree if under eu or un supervision however that you agree and im not trying to be degrading really dosent matter as we have seen the last couple of weeks in the north,It is Turkeys call and i dont think they will agree.
boulio
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby DT. » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:55 am

DTA wrote:So what if I as a Tc accept what is being proposed do the the Gcs agree?

The only thing there would be a serious issue with would be the charter flights into tymbou. As for Famagusta, If the port was operated by the RoC and tc trade was managed by tc's from the ROC port then that would be a solution.
DT.
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Postby Bananiot » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:32 am

•Turkey should open its ports and airports to Greek Cypriot sea and air traffic, meeting its signed 2005 obligation to implement the Additional Protocol to its EU Customs Union, and also permit Greek Cypriot aircraft to transit its airspace.
•Greek Cypriots should allow the port of Famagusta to handle Cypriot (including Turkish Cypriot) trade with the EU, under Turkish Cypriot management and EU supervision; end their practice of blocking Turkey’s EU negotiating chapters; and, in the event of trade beginning with Turkey after it implements the Additional Protocol, open up the Green Line to the passage of Turkish goods so that Turkish Cypriots can also benefit.
•Turkey and the Turkish Cypriots should hand back property in the Turkish-military controlled ghost resort of Varosha to its Greek Cypriot owners, subject to a UN interim regime that oversees reconstruction.
•Greek Cypriots should allow charter flights to Ercan Airport in the Turkish Cypriot zone, monitored by the EU.
•Turkey, Greece, the UK and the two Cypriot communities should put in place a mechanism to verify troop numbers on the island. Similarly, the Turkish Cypriot leadership should organise with Greek Cypriots a census to determine the exact population of the island and the legal status of its inhabitants.
•Greek Cypriots should cooperate with Turkish Cypriot administrative entities, pending a political settlement. Turkish officials should meet with Greek Cypriot officials, and Turkish Cypriots should be supportive.
•The European Commission, supported by the EU Presidency, should continue to serve as an honest broker to secure agreement on interim steps. Leaders of EU member states should avoid partisan statements at a time when UN talks continue and no one party is being clearly obstructive.

Very good proposals!
Bananiot
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Postby insan » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:53 am

Bananiot wrote:
•Turkey should open its ports and airports to Greek Cypriot sea and air traffic, meeting its signed 2005 obligation to implement the Additional Protocol to its EU Customs Union, and also permit Greek Cypriot aircraft to transit its airspace.
•Greek Cypriots should allow the port of Famagusta to handle Cypriot (including Turkish Cypriot) trade with the EU, under Turkish Cypriot management and EU supervision; end their practice of blocking Turkey’s EU negotiating chapters; and, in the event of trade beginning with Turkey after it implements the Additional Protocol, open up the Green Line to the passage of Turkish goods so that Turkish Cypriots can also benefit.
•Turkey and the Turkish Cypriots should hand back property in the Turkish-military controlled ghost resort of Varosha to its Greek Cypriot owners, subject to a UN interim regime that oversees reconstruction.
•Greek Cypriots should allow charter flights to Ercan Airport in the Turkish Cypriot zone, monitored by the EU.
•Turkey, Greece, the UK and the two Cypriot communities should put in place a mechanism to verify troop numbers on the island. Similarly, the Turkish Cypriot leadership should organise with Greek Cypriots a census to determine the exact population of the island and the legal status of its inhabitants.
•Greek Cypriots should cooperate with Turkish Cypriot administrative entities, pending a political settlement. Turkish officials should meet with Greek Cypriot officials, and Turkish Cypriots should be supportive.
•The European Commission, supported by the EU Presidency, should continue to serve as an honest broker to secure agreement on interim steps. Leaders of EU member states should avoid partisan statements at a time when UN talks continue and no one party is being clearly obstructive.

Very good proposals!

Implementation of these proposals would be a great step forward for the benefit of all concerned parties...
insan
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Next

Return to Cyprus Problem