The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content

ACCESS TO LEGAL REPRESENTATION

Feel free to talk about anything that you want.

Postby Gasman » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:00 am

that the system is failing is further shown by the fact that many are now seeking to resort to wjhat is know Alternative Dispute Reslotion - including if the comments of Cypiot politicians are to be believed, threats of violence to collect debts.

On the bright side, this 'alternative dispute resolution' business could rise to the top as the biggest growth industry and one that benefits from others collapsing. Perhaps they can offer jobs to those made redundant in the tourist and property sectors?
Gasman
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Postby Milo » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:15 am

Going on the news report according to this there are some 121,000 cases in the offing and working on the assumption people aren't suing themselves it means at least 242,000 out of a population of 700,000 are waiting for their day in court.

Thats rather a lot :shock:
Milo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby supporttheunderdog » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:23 am

Gasman wrote:
that the system is failing is further shown by the fact that many are now seeking to resort to wjhat is know Alternative Dispute Reslotion - including if the comments of Cypiot politicians are to be believed, threats of violence to collect debts.

On the bright side, this 'alternative dispute resolution' business could rise to the top as the biggest growth industry and one that benefits from others collapsing. Perhaps they can offer jobs to those made redundant in the tourist and property sectors?

There is in fact a perfectly legal form of ADR, fully permitted by law, for Domestic cases under Arbitration Law, Chapter 4 of the codified laws of Cyprus and for international disputes under Law 101 of 1987, where if the procedures are properly followed the awards have the same force of law as a court judgement and can be enforced by application to the courts either here or overseas.

It is a procedure I have used several times in a professional capacity over a number of years, mostly in the UK, but also the USA and France.

In the UK It has the advantage of the parties being able to select experts to judge the case, which can be quite useful in a very technical case, as well as providing privacy.
supporttheunderdog
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Postby supporttheunderdog » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:10 pm

supporttheunderdog wrote:
Gasman wrote:

There is in fact a perfectly legal form of ADR, fully permitted by law, for Domestic cases under Arbitration Law, Chapter 4 of the codified laws of Cyprus and for international disputes under Law 101 of 1987, where if the procedures are properly followed the awards have the same force of law as a court judgement and can be enforced by application to the courts either here or overseas.

It is a procedure I have used several times in a professional capacity over a number of years, mostly in the UK, but also the USA and France.

In the UK It has the advantage of the parties being able to select experts to judge the case, which can be quite useful in a very technical case, as well as providing privacy.

Oh, it's all gone quiete over there,
Oh, it's all gone quiete, all gone quiete,
Oh it's all gone quiete over there.
supporttheunderdog
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Postby Schnauzer » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:15 pm

Gasman wrote:

From what I have seen of the 'Legal Profession' in the UK, particularly around the 'High Courts' in the Strand.

If the professionals are not 'Cross Dressing', taking lunch at 'School Dinners' (where the waitresses are dressed as St Trinian Schoolgirls), lifting their shirt-tails in public toilets or engaged in other practices (even to the extent that they like to be whipped whilst dressed in 'Nappies') , I suppose one could say that they pass their time quite profitably.

Quiet ?, Oh well, perhaps they are either exhausted or 'Miss Whiplash' hasn't begun her treatment yet. :lol: :lol: :wink:
Schnauzer
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby CBBB » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:43 pm

Schnauzer wrote:
Gasman wrote:

From what I have seen of the 'Legal Profession' in the UK, particularly around the 'High Courts' in the Strand.

If the professionals are not 'Cross Dressing', taking lunch at 'School Dinners' (where the waitresses are dressed as St Trinian Schoolgirls), lifting their shirt-tails in public toilets or engaged in other practices (even to the extent that they like to be whipped whilst dressed in 'Nappies') , I suppose one could say that they pass their time quite profitably.

Quiet ?, Oh well, perhaps they are either exhausted or 'Miss Whiplash' hasn't begun her treatment yet. :lol: :lol: :wink:

What's wrong with that?
CBBB
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Postby supporttheunderdog » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:24 pm

Schnauzer wrote:
Gasman wrote:

So wht has this to do with the Cyprus legal system?

This appears to be typical of the diversionary move employed by designed to divert attention from the identified issues within Cyprus. in this case the problems with the legal system.
supporttheunderdog
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Postby Schnauzer » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:50 pm

Schnauzer wrote:
Gasman wrote:

So wht has this to do with the Cyprus legal system?

This appears to be typical of the diversionary move employed by designed to divert attention from the identified issues within Cyprus. in this case the problems with the legal system.

Your mention of the UK and US legal systems prompted me to submit that which I have.

If you are suggesting that one should seek legal advice from an outside source, at least let it be from one which is itself above reproach.

Nothing diversionary, just a small reminder that both the US and UK have little to 'Crow' about (or offer) in terms of legal representation whilst there own 'Hallowed Halls' are so rife with corruption.

A quick lunch at 'School Dinners' will give you some idea of the mindset and morality of the 'Little Darlings' that manipulate the civil laws these days.

(IMHO) :wink:
Schnauzer
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby supporttheunderdog » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:56 am

Schnauzer wrote:
A quick lunch at 'School Dinners' will give you some idea of the mindset and morality of the 'Little Darlings' that manipulate the civil laws these days.

(IMHO) :wink:

I very much doubt that whoever was in "School Dinners" is representative of the legal profession as a whole.

Can you amplify in what way the systems and/or the lawyers are corrupt?
Are they for example indulging in some of the known and well reported practices of some Cyprus property lawyers acting for both vendors and buyers in property transactions, and otherwise failing to properly represent the buyers, with a disciplinary system that seems incapable of enforcing proper standards of ethics, but rather gives the appearance of at best. inaction, if not of cover-up, and which goes to possible government as I think the AG or deputy AG is involved in running the disciplinary process?

Please otherwise justify that the legal system in the UK is generally corrupt?

Otherwise I think the point I was making about the general fitness for purpose of the Cyprus Court system appears uncontested if as appears to be widely admitted (and with out being generally corrupt, merely inefficient) it cannot promptly deliver justice.
supporttheunderdog
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Postby supporttheunderdog » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:12 pm

More, unashamedly copied from the CM (another good report) on the shortcomings of the Cyprus legal system and denial of justice, in particular for the less well-off, and a suggestion that people are being deliberately milked by lawyers asking for adjournments, with the conivence of judges who are prepared to agree these requests.

A PAPHOS man fed up with what he sees as the inefficiencies of the justice system is hoping to start an online petition to initiate an extra judicial small claims court.

After a couple of nasty personal experiences with the courts in recent years, Paphos businessman and Konia community board member Andy Georgiou has said there is a real need for a court dealing specifically with minor disputes.

Georgiou says that if he receives support from other residents in favour of his proposal he will start an online petition and lobby the government to implement a direct, fast track system for cases involving claims of up to €5,000.

Georgiou said that the first case he became unwittingly involved in was adjourned by the Paphos court 15 times before it was heard before a judge, costing him up to €300 every time in fees due to his solicitor.

“The case involved a broken second-hand computer I bought with the idea to have it repaired and then sell in my shop. I didn’t realise it was stolen,” he said.

Georgiou says that he paid 100 Cyprus pounds (171 euros) for the item which was then confiscated by police just a couple of days later, after the thief was arrested.

“The police charged me with buying a stolen computer worth 1,000 pounds for 100 pounds, the whole thing was rubbish. The computer was not worth that amount and I didn’t know I was buying stolen goods,” he said.

Georgiou says that eventually, after the case dragged on for three years, the Paphos court found him innocent, but not until he had made 15 court appearances and forked out more than €2,500 in solicitors’ fees.

And the community board member’s woes didn’t end there.

“In the second instance, my solicitor helped me to buy a piece of land and I wanted some particular advice. He advised me badly and I’m now out of pocket again by about €2,500.”

After his previous court experience, Georgiou says to sue his solicitor would prove too expensive, as he believes the case would be adjourned numerous times.

“And no solicitor is going to represent me against another solicitor, especially in Paphos,” he claimed.

“There is no justice in Cyprus especially for those who are on low incomes,” he said.

Georgiou’s opinion is that solicitors charge upwards of €300 for each court appearance and judges try to satisfy any request for an adjournment, thus bumping up lawyers’ fees.

He pointed out that even the simplest of cases can amass more than 10 appearances with a bill anywhere between €3,000 to €4,000.

“In most cases it’s not likely that the other side will be made to pay your costs, and so small claims are just not worth pursuing,” he said.

Georgiou underlined the need for a small claims court for cases such as his.

”It would be a good idea for the individual to put their case directly to a judge and the other side to do the same. Evidence and witnesses would be provided and a judge would make a quick decision. It’s the only way forward for minor cases,” he said.

Georgiou believes this approach would be an alternative way to operate from the current system and it would fast track cases.

“I could see after being in court that they are stuck, they’re frozen. One case after another is postponed. I’m sure that we can do better then this.”

He has urged people to email him so he assess the interest in starting a petition.

Unquote

In the meantime, Schnauzer, from your silence I think we have to assume there is not one shred of substance to your own allgations about the British system.
supporttheunderdog
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Previous

Return to General Chat