The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content

Kikapu's time in Cyprus........

Feel free to talk about anything that you want.

Kikapu's time in Cyprus........

Postby Kikapu » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:52 pm

This trip to Cyprus for in the making for over a year. I had intentions going last year, in 2006, just before joining the Cyprus Forum. I was discouraged from making that trip, and after 42 years of not going to Cyprus, I gave up on the idea, ever returning again. However, having spent a year on the Forum, I gained a new momentum to make the trip, so earlier this year, I asked the Forum members, to advice me on various questions, that were a concern to me. This started a long negative debate between myself and VP mostly, as to why I would visit the RoC at all, since my new country now was called "TRNC". I was warned of all the negatives and even sent bad wishes for my trip to Cyprus, which was to start, in mid April. Needless to say, I had a lot on my mind, as the days came closer and closer. Finally, the time of truth was here, and there was no turning back.

The day of departure did not start well. Our connecting train had broken down somewhere, so we had to divert to Zurich, before going to Zurich airport. Got there in time to check in, and while at the gate, I realised, I did not have the house keys with me. Upon calling my girlfriends mother to go and check if the keys were on the front door, and sure enough, they were. After connecting in Frankfurt to Larnaca, it was the longest 3 1/2 flight I ever had. I was practicing in my mind, how I would react to each possible incident with the airport officials, if they started giving me shit. Mrfromng had one time wrote, that he was not treated with respect, so I was prepared to get into a verbal match, with anyone, that were to flex their "official muscle". At long last, the plane had landed in the early hours of 2 AM. Coming down the stairs from the plain and actually stepping on Cypriot ground was an emotional experienced, that I kept to my self, from others. After 43 years of absence, I was once again home. Then the bus brought us to the terminal. As we walked to the immigration, I was greeted with a quite "hello" by the officer. My passport ( British) was checked and given back without an incident. It felt like a little anti climax really, but was glad to get through there, without any problems, because, according to Zan and VP, I had plenty of problems, that was waiting for me, as long as, I was going to be in the Roc.

Next we went to get our rental car, so after locating the Agent, paper work was done and with a map and instructions on how to get to our Hotel in Larnaca, which was only 6 kilometers away, we were on the way. It was almost 3 AM, and soon we run into a police check point. We were directed to pull to the side and stop. Now for sure, VP will prevail with his prediction on TC's being mishandled by GC's, so I thought. I stepped out of the car and was approached by 2 police officers. I gave them my drivers license, and when asked where I was from, I said, Switzerland, to try and conceal my identity. At that very moment, it was time to test VP's predictions, so I told the officer, that I was actually, a Cypriot, and that we had just landed, and was on our way to the hotel. With my "Turkish" name being very evident on my drivers licence, I expected some "power play" from them, but again not to be. He told me they were checking for drunk drivers and was allowed to go, with fresh directions from them, to our hotel.

Once at the hotel, I had my girlfriend fill in the registration card, since the hotels were all booked under her name, to once again, to conceal my identity. But I was asked to show my passport also, so much for that smart idea. Once again, no problems. We were told where to park, and was wished good night, which was about 3.30 AM. I immediately got on the hotels coin operated computer, to cancel the second rental car that I booked with the same rental company, under my girlfriends name, to be picked up, that afternoon. Once again, I was concerned what these GC might do, to anyone with a Turkish sounding name. I was afraid, they might just say, "sorry Mr. Kikapu, but we cannot find your reservation". Therefore, we made a back up reservation, so that, we would not be charged, an arm and a leg, for a on the spot car rental charges. If you called me a paranoid before going to Cyprus and soon after we landed there, I would say, that you were correct. This was all due to statesment made by some of our partitionist members, on the forum.

To be continued.....
Kikapu
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Postby Get Real! » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:31 pm

This is my favorite line of your story thus far... "After 43 years of absence, I was once again home" and I'm sorry that some fools filled your mind with paranoia making your arrival unnecessarily difficult. Little do they know that thousands of people arrive here unhindered each year from all over the world and many are actually Muslims.
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Niki » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:15 pm

I am sincerely hoping that as your story unfolds the paranoia will get less with each day. Certain forum members I believe have an extremist attitude that isn't typical of the majority of Cypriots, not in my experience anyway.

Looking forward to the next installment!!
Niki
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: Kikapu's time in Cyprus........

Postby Kikapu » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:19 pm

Kikapu wrote:This trip to Cyprus for in the making for over a year. I had intentions going last year, in 2006, just before joining the Cyprus Forum. I was discouraged from making that trip, and after 42 years of not going to Cyprus, I gave up on the idea, ever returning again. However, having spent a year on the Forum, I gained a new momentum to make the trip, so earlier this year, I asked the Forum members, to advice me on various questions, that were a concern to me. This started a long negative debate between myself and VP mostly, as to why I would visit the RoC at all, since my new country now was called "TRNC". I was warned of all the negatives and even sent bad wishes for my trip to Cyprus, which was to start, in mid April. Needless to say, I had a lot on my mind, as the days came closer and closer. Finally, the time of truth was here, and there was no turning back.

The day of departure did not start well. Our connecting train had broken down somewhere, so we had to divert to Zurich, before going to Zurich airport. Got there in time to check in, and while at the gate, I realised, I did not have the house keys with me. Upon calling my girlfriends mother to go and check if the keys were on the front door, and sure enough, they were. After connecting in Frankfurt to Larnaca, it was the longest 3 1/2 flight I ever had. I was practicing in my mind, how I would react to each possible incident with the airport officials, if they started giving me shit. Mrfromng had one time wrote, that he was not treated with respect, so I was prepared to get into a verbal match, with anyone, that were to flex their "official muscle". At long last, the plane had landed in the early hours of 2 AM. Coming down the stairs from the plain and actually stepping on Cypriot ground was an emotional experienced, that I kept to my self, from others. After 43 years of absence, I was once again home. Then the bus brought us to the terminal. As we walked to the immigration, I was greeted with a quite "hello" by the officer. My passport ( British) was checked and given back without an incident. It felt like a little anti climax really, but was glad to get through there, without any problems, because, according to Zan and VP, I had plenty of problems, that was waiting for me, as long as, I was going to be in the Roc.

Next we went to get our rental car, so after locating the Agent, paper work was done and with a map and instructions on how to get to our Hotel in Larnaca, which was only 6 kilometers away, we were on the way. It was almost 3 AM, and soon we run into a police check point. We were directed to pull to the side and stop. Now for sure, VP will prevail with his prediction on TC's being mishandled by GC's, so I thought. I stepped out of the car and was approached by 2 police officers. I gave them my drivers license, and when asked where I was from, I said, Switzerland, to try and conceal my identity. At that very moment, it was time to test VP's predictions, so I told the officer, that I was actually, a Cypriot, and that we had just landed, and was on our way to the hotel. With my "Turkish" name being very evident on my drivers licence, I expected some "power play" from them, but again not to be. He told me they were checking for drunk drivers and was allowed to go, with fresh directions from them, to our hotel.

Once at the hotel, I had my girlfriend fill in the registration card, since the hotels were all booked under her name, to once again, to conceal my identity. But I was asked to show my passport also, so much for that smart idea. Once again, no problems. We were told where to park, and was wished good night, which was about 3.30 AM. I immediately got on the hotels coin operated computer, to cancel the second rental car that I booked with the same rental company, under my girlfriends name, to be picked up, that afternoon. Once again, I was concerned what these GC might do, to anyone with a Turkish sounding name. I was afraid, they might just say, "sorry Mr. Kikapu, but we cannot find your reservation". Therefore, we made a back up reservation, so that, we would not be charged, an arm and a leg, for a on the spot car rental charges. If you called me a paranoid before going to Cyprus and soon after we landed there, I would say, that you were correct. This was all due to statesment made by some of our partitionist members, on the forum.

To be continued.....

At midday, we had finally woken up, but breakfast that we paid for ( Bed & Breakfast) was over 2 hours earlier, so it was time to get up, and start exploring Cyprus. After having something to eat at the promenade, by the Larnaca Marina, we visited the Larnaca's Castle / Fort, then to the Turkish sector. We visited the Al Kebir Mosque, which was under repairs, but was wide open, with no one there. I was thinking to my self, why were there no graffiti on the walls or damage to inside, by the Nationalist GC. As we walked around the corner, I could hear Turkish being spoken. Again, I was warned by Lana not to speak Turkish while visiting Cyprus, as not to create any problems for ourselves. So we approached these elderly gentlemen, about 4 of them. They were in fact 1 TC, 2 GC's and 1 Armenian. So I joined in the conversation, explaining to them who I was, and my purpose in Cyprus. I asked them, if there were any problems for the TC's living in Larnaca, which the TC said, " no problems at all, and that they got along just fine". He had a small shoes shop, and offered me any assistance that I may need, while in Larnaca. He also spoke Greek, who was originally from "Tahtagali", a name of an area, that I remember hearing when I was a child, in Cyprus. It may be in Nicosia. Soon after, another man, a TC came on his moped, to join in the conversation. We then visited the St. Lazarus Church.

As we walked through the Turkish sector, seeing some old houses, some occupied, and some were empty, I was beginning to feel much more at ease with myself, of being a TC, in a GC dominated, part of Cyprus. But I had to keep my guard up, because soon or later, VP's prediction would come true, and my trip to my Birth Country, would turn to crap.

That evening, we had our first Fish Meze at the restaurant called, the "Varoshiotis". After the meal, we had a good long walk back to our hotel, even going through some dark alleys, without any concern to our safety at all. It had taken less than a full day being in Cyprus, to realise, that all the negatives fed on the forum by the Partitionist, was falling apart, piece by piece.

Next day, I woke up with a different attitude. I had lost almost all of my anxiety and concerns. It was also my 52nd Birthday. I don't remember, ever having celebrated my birthday as a child, my first 9 year, in Cyprus, so for me, this was going to be my "First Birthday" in Cyprus. It was time to start enjoying my country of Birth, and be myself. I wasn't going to hide my identity any longer. It was time to be a "True Cypriot" again. After getting my Birthday present, a Digital Camera, it was time to have our first Cypriot breakfast.

After breakfast, we drove to visit the "Hala Sultan Mousque" by Larnaca Airport. Then we drove to a little village called "Lefkara". It was a very nice place, and got to talk to a shop owner, who were GC's, but moved back here from the UK. He was pleased that I had come back to Cyprus, after 43 years, of being away. We had lunch there, and drove back to Larnaca, through the "back roads".

That evening, we went to have dinner at a Meze Tavern, but was told, they would open after 8.30 PM. I got talking with the owner and told him about myself and that it was my birthday. He reserved a table for us. When we came to the restaurant, which is called the "The Black Turtle", the owner introduced me to his GC friend and his party of 6, who was also celebrating his 50th, which was few days earlier. We talked for few minutes, knowing who I was and little bit of my past. As the evening got underway, with great live Greek music, we were told by the owner, that his friend was paying for our bottle of wine. I went over a shook his hand. Soon after, he cut his birthday cake and sent over some for us. Again, I went over and shook his hand. We stayed until 1.00 AM. The Food was great and the Music was fantastic. It was the perfect 52nd Birthday evening. I was beginning to feel at home more and more, and only after 2 days being in Cyprus. All of my fears of being amongst all these GC's were now becoming a distant memory.

To be continued...........
Kikapu
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Postby zan » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:53 pm

Thanks for the stories Kikapu but as you have made reference to me very early on in this saga....I have to ask you as to when I said that your visit would be anything but pleasant.

I am also waiting for the part where you go to the RoC offices and ask for your rights of the 1960 constitution to be re-instated. Did you get such a pleasant GC asking you when you would like that to be.

If you would like me to keep out of this then perhaps you can tell your story without the political spin you have chosen to do it in.

I went to South Africa last year and despite all that I heard I was not mugged by the blacks. :roll:
zan
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Postby Kikapu » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:23 pm

zan wrote:Thanks for the stories Kikapu but as you have made reference to me very early on in this saga....I have to ask you as to when I said that your visit would be anything but pleasant.

I am also waiting for the part where you go to the RoC offices and ask for your rights of the 1960 constitution to be re-instated. Did you get such a pleasant GC asking you when you would like that to be.

If you would like me to keep out of this then perhaps you can tell your story without the political spin you have chosen to do it in.

I went to South Africa last year and despite all that I heard I was not mugged by the blacks. :roll:

Hello Zan,

It is all the "poison" that you and other Partitionist spew on the forum, that gives the illusion, that no TC is safe living amongst the GC, because we might get assimilated and lose our Turkish Cypriotness. I'm happy to report to you, that the GC did not sew a new "foreskin" on me and was not forced to learn Greek, and to stop speaking Turkish, so I'm the same person as I was before I left for Cyprus. It is time for all you Partitionist to accept yourself as Cypriots, if that's who you all really are. I do get the feeling however, that most of you have been converted to be Turks, and want to destroy the Turkish Cypriot identity.

You seem to forget Zan, that the country you admire so much, is also occupying your country. The 1960 Constitution can be re-enacted, as soon as Turkey leaves, so why don't you start a protest march in London, to do that.

Keep on reading "my story" to find out how I was treated by GC Government Officials, regarding the Land and Deeds issues.

I'm glad you were not mugged by the blacks in South Africa. Do you have any more Racist comments you want to make about the Blacks, because White people Mug also.

You do however accept, that Turkey is "mugging" Northern part of Cyprus, don't you.?

Just how am I writing my story, with a "political Spin", or should I lie, to fit in with your "political Spin.?
Kikapu
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Postby zan » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:42 pm

It is not my fault that like others on this forum you choose not to listen to what is actually said to you and you pick out bits that re-enforce your views. My problems are with the RoC and not the people. I have stated that there is a danger of mob mentality as well but it can only be fueled from the top.

My comments about the blacks in South Africa........You see what you want to see and use that to back up your hate filled mind. :roll:

Your comments have always been about how bad the TRNC/KKTC is. You did not even visit the north to find out if your argument holds any water but two weeks as a tourist in the south and you are ready to sign on the dotted line. No experience of the politics for every day life from either side. Stick to your story and leave out the political spin on how nice the GCs are. We know they are not all bad and I for one have never said anything different. Lets go out there and find a really nice aged nazi and then we can convince the Jews that they were nice people. People are not bad but can behave badly in certain circumstances.
zan
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Postby Kikapu » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:20 pm

zan wrote:Your comments have always been about how bad the TRNC/KKTC is. You did not even visit the north to find out if your argument holds any water but two weeks as a tourist in the south and you are ready to sign on the dotted line.

I make comments on "TRNC/KKTC" based on what the Partitionist say. One day everything is rosey, and the next day, the RoC is strangling the TC's with embargoes. It is you guys, that can't get your stories correct. Don't blame me, for punching holes in your stories. Then again, when one does not tell the truth, they make their own holes. I just merely point them out, where the holes are.

Isn't it sad, that due to the occupation and an illegal formation state in the North called the "TRNC", I could not visit whole of my country, unless I laid down £4,000 UK Pounds. Why is it, that the RoC did not do the same.? Why am I considered a citizen of "TRNC", that I did not ask for, when I'm already citizen of Cyprus, and to abdicate my "TRNC" citizenship, I must first complete my Military Service and or pay the £4,000 Pounds. Sorry, but I'm not in the habit of endorsing illegal Highway Robbery.
Kikapu
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Postby zan » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:36 pm

Kikapu wrote:
zan wrote:Your comments have always been about how bad the TRNC/KKTC is. You did not even visit the north to find out if your argument holds any water but two weeks as a tourist in the south and you are ready to sign on the dotted line.

I make comments on "TRNC/KKTC" based on what the Partitionist say. One day everything is rosey, and the next day, the RoC is strangling the TC's with embargoes. It is you guys, that can't get your stories correct. Don't blame me, for punching holes in your stories. Then again, when one does not tell the truth, they make their own holes. I just merely point them out, where the holes are.

Isn't it sad, that due to the occupation and an illegal formation state in the North called the "TRNC", I could not visit whole of my country, unless I laid down £4,000 UK Pounds. Why is it, that the RoC did not do the same.? Why am I considered a citizen of "TRNC", that I did not ask for, when I'm already citizen of Cyprus, and to abdicate my "TRNC" citizenship, I must first complete my Military Service and or pay the £4,000 Pounds. Sorry, but I'm not in the habit of endorsing illegal Highway Robbery.

Agian...You see what you want to see. We did not say that there are NO problems in the TRNC/KKTC but we argue against the lies that you seem to endorse without knowing what you are talking about. YES the embargoes are effecting our progress but NO we are not about to fall into the sea. The problem is that you guys want us to fall apart so that you can waltz in and pick up the pieces and it hurts you so much that Turkey is helping to keep us afloat.

As to the excuse you gave about why you did not visit the TRNC/KKTC :roll: If you read the first two installments of your story, you will note that you paid great attention to creating the atmosphere of apprehension that we caused you to have because of what people like VP and me had already said. Did that apprehension stop you from visiting the south........NO! So why are you now whimpering about not being man enough to visit the north and put those ghosts to bed as well. There are many stories being banded around Kikapu. You have made your choice about which ones to believe and which ones not to believe with a little bit of bias to help with your lies. Why don't you tell the rest of the GCs that you looked over the wall and saw such depravity that it has given you nightmares. :roll:
zan
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Postby Jerry » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:53 pm

Good for you Kikapu. I went to the north a year before the "border" was open. I had been told by ordinary GCs that I could not go because I had a Greek name. I had a good day out and was treated with kindness by everyone I met. No doubt there are some miserable bastards on both sides just as in the 50s and 60s who could cause trouble. Unfortunately it only takes a few extremists to whip up intercommunal hatred and then the tit for tat starts. I didn't realise there were TCs in Larnaca, I was there on Monday and Tuesday. I can't wait for your next episode!
Last edited by Jerry on Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Next

Return to General Chat