The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content

Plasma / LCD TV's from UK

Feel free to talk about anything that you want.

Plasma / LCD TV's from UK

Postby mike-d » Tue May 22, 2007 1:27 pm

Hi There,

Does anyone know of any compatability problems in buying a new plasma or LCD TV from the UK and bringing it out in my container?

It seems that they are quite a bit cheaper in UK but wouldn't like to buy one to find out later that it is useless in Cyprus!

Please advise!

Thanks, Mike.
mike-d

Postby Crivens » Tue May 22, 2007 1:43 pm

Unless all you want to watch is local greek tv through an aerial then don't worry about it. Most of the leccy items out here all come from europe anyways. The greek tv through an aerial is an old problem that is actually fixable through some new TV's (use Greek audio in options apparently) or by going through a compatible VHS purchased here. Otherwise no worries.

Cheers
Crivens
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mike-d » Tue May 22, 2007 1:51 pm

Thats great news.. Thanks!

It would be sky I will be watching anyway so no worries then :)

Thanks.
mike-d

Postby Crivens » Tue May 22, 2007 3:21 pm

Yeah, Sky is fine. My parents have got Sky connected to a british TV out here and it's all good.

Cheers
Crivens
Contributor
Contributor

Postby devil » Tue May 22, 2007 4:32 pm

Are you sure they are cheaper there? A friend in Yorkshire just recently spent over £900 on a Panasonic 32" LCD (OK, they saw her coming! They were advertised on the net from £550 up to nearly £1,000 for the same model). I bought one, the same model, just last week for CY£460 after a little haggling, which is just about the same as the cheapest in the UK. She is out here now and she hit the roof when she saw we had the same model and paid much less.

And if anything went wrong? If you bought it here, you would have the guarantee and the local service.
devil
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Crivens » Tue May 22, 2007 5:28 pm

Yeah, they are dropping like stones. Last year they predicted the prices to drop at least 50%, and this year they are saying the same sort of thing. I've seen a few 42" Plasmas in shop windows here advertised for about £600-650. I'm betting that they are not HD at all, but still. Cheap as chips. My annoyingly large 36" CRT was bought just when plasma was coming in properly (£11k at the time for a plasma). £2500 for my "best TV of the year" at the time. Sigh. Still, the picture is still superior to most LCDs (for fast moving scenes and the reduced pixelation of bad scenes). Shame about the resolution (I have a 720p projector, but a good 1080p is where it's at).

From looking online the UK is very slightly cheaper, but not amazingly so.

I saw a nice Sony in one of the main stores in Limassol the other day (the one by M&S). Think it was a 42" (probably 720p) for about a grand. Nice. They also had something like a 64" LCD too. Was very very nice. If it wasn't for my projector (104" spoils you for size) then I would be very tempted...

Cheers
Crivens
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Plasma / LCD TV's from UK

Postby simonwjones » Tue May 22, 2007 8:41 pm

mike-d wrote:Hi There,

Does anyone know of any compatability problems in buying a new plasma or LCD TV from the UK and bringing it out in my container?

It seems that they are quite a bit cheaper in UK but wouldn't like to buy one to find out later that it is useless in Cyprus!

Please advise!

Thanks, Mike.

Hi Mike

Interesting topic.

How much is a container for UK to CYP?

How far have you shopped around for LCD?
simonwjones
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby mike-d » Tue May 22, 2007 9:10 pm

Hi Simon,

A container is looking at around £4K for a 40ft one.

Not shopped around too much for an LCD/plasma, just getting ideas of prices right now.

Cheers,
Mike.
mike-d

Postby nigeyboy » Wed May 23, 2007 12:43 am

if its got a freeview tuner in will it pick the sky channels up. Will it need a big dish ?
nigeyboy

Postby halil » Wed May 23, 2007 8:36 am

My advise to u;

TV systems in UK is PAL I.
İn Cyprus PAL B/G it's means u will get video but no sound. Ask for your dealer if your system will work in Cyprus?
halil
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Next

Return to General Chat