The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content

Warning To Travellers To The North

How can we solve it? (keep it civilized)

Warning To Travellers To The North

Postby kafenes » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:16 am

Dutch seek information about tourist arrests
By Nathan Morley

DUTCH diplomats are urgently looking into reports that two of their citizens have been arrested by Turkish Cypriot police in Famagusta.

The two men, who are understood to be on a package holiday, were arrested yesterday for allegedly taking photographs near several abandoned hotels in the Varosha district of Famagusta.

Despite being sealed off by wire fencing, the area is popular with tourists who often take photographs of the decaying buildings from a nearby beach.

Varosha, which has been a ghost town since 1974, is occupied by Turkish troops and used as a military base.

A spokesman for the Dutch Embassy in Nicosia told the Cyprus Mail that they were aware of the arrests and were “not prepared to discuss or make comment on the case at this point.”

However, a spokesman for the Dutch Foreign Ministry speaking from Amsterdam, confirmed that the men had been detained and that the Netherlands government was seeking information from the Turkish Cypriots.

“We actually know very little about this incident at the moment, we are trying to look further into the situation and discover what is actually happening on the ground,” he said.

Media in northern Cyprus reported last night a police investigation has been launched, while the cameras of the two men, aged 26 and 34, have been confiscated.

Several Turkish Cypriot radio channels claimed that the men have denied taking photographs inside a restricted military zone – a serious offence in the heavily fortified north.

An assessment of the men’s photographs is being conducted by experts.

Copyright © Cyprus Mail 2008

http://www.cyprus-mail.com/news/main.php?id=41666

To people travelling to the north, this is the kind of rubbish you might encounter. Is it worth the risk?? While there are satellites which will photograph even a fly sitting on the Famagusta fence and these people go round arresting tourists with holiday snapshots. Could this be some kind of a bribing scam?
kafenes
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Postby tessintrnc » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:57 am

I was there a couple of weeks ago with my son, and didn't see any soldiers nearby the old hotels. Even if photos were taken, I don't see the harm in it! There were even people swimming in the sea beyond the fence when I was there!! There is a military base nearby, but as its round the corner so to speak, I wouldn't have thought even a powerful telescopic camera would have snapped anything top secret!! Lets hope its cleared up soon, what a way to spend your holiday!!! :roll:
tessintrnc
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: Warning To Travellers To The North

Postby zan » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:46 am

kafenes wrote:
By Nathan Morley

DUTCH diplomats are urgently looking into reports that two of their citizens have been arrested by Turkish Cypriot police in Famagusta.

The two men, who are understood to be on a package holiday, were arrested yesterday for allegedly taking photographs near several abandoned hotels in the Varosha district of Famagusta.

Despite being sealed off by wire fencing, the area is popular with tourists who often take photographs of the decaying buildings from a nearby beach.

Varosha, which has been a ghost town since 1974, is occupied by Turkish troops and used as a military base.

A spokesman for the Dutch Embassy in Nicosia told the Cyprus Mail that they were aware of the arrests and were “not prepared to discuss or make comment on the case at this point.”

However, a spokesman for the Dutch Foreign Ministry speaking from Amsterdam, confirmed that the men had been detained and that the Netherlands government was seeking information from the Turkish Cypriots.

“We actually know very little about this incident at the moment, we are trying to look further into the situation and discover what is actually happening on the ground,” he said.

Media in northern Cyprus reported last night a police investigation has been launched, while the cameras of the two men, aged 26 and 34, have been confiscated.

Several Turkish Cypriot radio channels claimed that the men have denied taking photographs inside a restricted military zone – a serious offence in the heavily fortified north.

To people travelling to the north, this is the kind of rubbish you might encounter. Is it worth the risk?? While there are satellites which will photograph even a fly sitting on the Famagusta fence and these people go round arresting tourists with holiday snapshots. Could this be some kind of a bribing scam?

Did you know them personally Kafenes?????
zan
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Re: Warning To Travellers To The North

Postby kafenes » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:50 am

zan wrote:
kafenes wrote:
By Nathan Morley

Did you know them personally Kafenes?????

I might have, and your point Zan?????
kafenes
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Postby denizaksulu » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:05 am

If the tourists were merely taking snapshots, their arrest is a joke. On google earth, The walled city of Famagusta is my most visited site. I love studying every nook and cranny of this historic town. If anyone wanted to spy, As Kafenes said, Google Earth is the place.

I also like to know the real motive of these arrests. Pure stupidity.

Lets wait and see what excuses they will come up with.

The North are number one for good PR. Not. :?
denizaksulu
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby iceman » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:16 am

denizaksulu wrote:If the tourists were merely taking snapshots, their arrest is a joke. On google earth, The walled city of Famagusta is my most visited site. I love studying every nook and cranny of this historic town. If anyone wanted to spy, As Kafenes said, Google Earth is the place.

I also like to know the real motive of these arrests. Pure stupidity.

Lets wait and see what excuses they will come up with.

The North are number one for good PR. Not. :?

In Turkish there is a saying "military mentality starts where logic ends" :wink:
iceman
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby zan » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:24 am

I think we should just forget about laws and formality in the TRNC.....We should adopt anarchy and let people do what ever the hell they want....We should even allow hostiles in and let them cause havoc....What the hell!!!!
zan
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Postby Tim Drayton » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:25 am

iceman wrote:In Turkish there is a saying "military mentality starts where logic ends" :wink:

I have met quite a few retired Turkish military officers, and they were all mad.
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Postby iceman » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:53 am

zan wrote:I think we should just forget about laws and formality in the TRNC.....We should adopt anarchy and let people do what ever the hell they want....We should even allow hostiles in and let them cause havoc....What the hell!!!!

NO..what you should do is come and live in this military regime first then comment about it...

Easy for you to live in a democratic country and comment about regime in north Cyprus from far far away.
iceman
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby zan » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:55 am

iceman wrote:
zan wrote:I think we should just forget about laws and formality in the TRNC.....We should adopt anarchy and let people do what ever the hell they want....We should even allow hostiles in and let them cause havoc....What the hell!!!!

NO..what you should do is come and live in this military regime first then comment about it...

Easy for you to live in a democratic country and comment about regime in north Cyprus from far far away.

Never said it was perfect but what choice do you have.... :?: We are trying to fix it and the first step is recognition or a fair deal...
zan
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Next

Return to Cyprus Problem