The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content

exchange in uk or cyprus ?

Visiting Cyprus? Ask any questions you have here.

Moderator: Piratis

exchange in uk or cyprus ?

Postby alisonhoyte » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:34 pm

Hi All.
Please can anyone tell me if i bring sterling over to Cyprus, would i get a better exchange rate there, rather than exchange in the uk.

we are coming for a 1 week all inclusive holiday to the Akteon Holiday Village Nr Paphos, in Feb half term. We have never been to Cyprus before and we are really looking forward to it.

Thank You.

ps also does anyone have any day trips they would recommend, we have hired a car from the airport for that week.
alisonhoyte
Trial Member
Trial Member

Re: exchange in uk or cyprus ?

Postby miltiades » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:54 pm

alisonhoyte wrote:Hi All.
Please can anyone tell me if i bring sterling over to Cyprus, would i get a better exchange rate there, rather than exchange in the uk.

we are coming for a 1 week all inclusive holiday to the Akteon Holiday Village Nr Paphos, in Feb half term. We have never been to Cyprus before and we are really looking forward to it.

Thank You.

ps also does anyone have any day trips they would recommend, we have hired a car from the airport for that week.

Mate dont even think about changing your sterling in the UK .Much better rate in Cyprus , not in Banks but in shops, look out for the boards advertising rates .
miltiades
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Postby Lee A Kada » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:08 pm

This might give you a few ideas

http://www.visitpafos.org.cy/
Lee A Kada
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Postby bill cobbett » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:33 am

Agree with Miltiades above, not in GB, don't go near CY banks with their commissions.

Go for the shops in the tourist areas. No commission and best rates and all advertise their rates outside. Shop around for best rate.

Done it loads and loads of times without prob.

As for day trips, if you have a 4x4 go north to the Akamas, last remaining unspoilt coastal area in the Free Areas. Roads a bit rough.

Also head north to Polis and Latchi with harbourside restaurants. Boat trips and diving trips from there as well. On the way you'll find Stroumbi which is best avoided.

Go in to the Troodos as well. No trip to CY complete without going in to the mountains.

Avoid buying anything in Paphos Harbour-side cafes without checking out the prices first.
bill cobbett
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Location: Embargoed from Kyrenia by Jurkish Army and Genocided (many times) by Thieving, Brain-Washed Lordo

Postby paliometoxo » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:42 am

i took 50 pounds to the cyprus bank and they gave me 53 euros and took 3..

very bad rates
paliometoxo
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Postby miltiades » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:01 am

Avoid Banks , look out , as I said earlier , for boards outside certain shops , and not in tourist areas either , but in town where you will get a far better rate.
miltiades
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Postby fig head » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:41 am

yep, in coral bay there is a little super market that changes currency way much better than the back, knowing that the English pound is rising up again, u will get better rate and as the above... dont go near cypriot banks,

what kind of car did you hire...!! are you allowed to go off roads "depends on what tyoe of car you have"

you can defo go to limassol, its way much better night life than paphos also restaurent in limassol really good,

you can check out st goerge erea , the fishing village, the sea caves, if you wanna wonder about farther you can go to lara bay and akamas

you also can go to troodos i believe it will be snowing over there in Feb and lots of ppl go ski there.
fig head
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Postby larnacaman » Sat May 22, 2010 7:23 pm

Never Ever change money in the country your departing from... You will always get a better rate for any cash you have in the country your Arriveing in. Always ask the locals where the best places are to exchange.

There are a very few exceptions to this rule, but none that would effect the normal tourist/ traveler.....
larnacaman
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Cyprus Tourism