The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content

Here is our new wall

How can we solve it? (keep it civilized)

Here is our new wall

Postby RAFAELLA » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:42 pm

Talat’s regime is replacing the barbed wire with a wall along the line Turkish troops keep Lefkosia divided for 31 years
Under the title “Here is our new wall” and subtitle “From Ledra to Dereboyu the Turkish side is erecting a new wall on the border”, Turkish Cypriot Afrika newspaper (18/07/05) reports the following:

“Afrika (special) – At a time when the walls are being demolished in the world, a new wall is being erected in the centre of Lefkosia. While for a period of 31 years from the year 1974 to today the Command of the Security Forces did not feel the need to build a wall, in the last days a wall more than two metres high has started to be built. According to information obtained by our paper, the wall, which will extend to a few kilometers, has started in the area which is under the control of the 3rd Battalion and is being constructed with yellow stone.

Although Cyprus has become an EU member and the efforts for a solution are being speeded up, the erecting of such a wall partitioning Lefkosia, by the Security Forces Command, has drawn reaction from our citizens against Kutlay Erk, who sat on the chair of the mayor with the slogan “Open Lefkosia” and the RTP (Republican Turkish Party) who came to power with the slogan “Peace and solution in Cyprus”, and who remain silent on this issue.

The wall started to be built at Dereboyu a short distance ahead of the British High Commission, from the Ledra Turkish Gateway and the thought is to erect it up to Ayios Dhometios check-point. The leader of the P.D.M (Peace and Democracy Movement) Akinci asked the following question on the issue: “Work has started on the borders under the name of new outlook. During the last days at some points high walls are being erected in the framework of the works going on. Is “Open Lefkosia” being turned into “Close Nicosia?”

Mr Mustafa Akinci also said that both the Police Law and the Security Forces Law as well as these arrangements on the borders are new knots to the solution and consolidate the status guo instead of abolishing it”.

Our compatriots are incredible, they never stop showing their goodwill to us. Your new effort towards reunification is realy appreciated.
RAFAELLA
Contributor
Contributor

Postby demetriou_74 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:31 pm

must be to stop all them thugs running over the border and causing riots. i mean just last week i heard about some sparrows that ate a TC's crop.

why spend money building a wall?
demetriou_74
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: Here is our new wall

Postby Turkey (( * » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:08 pm

RAFAELLA wrote:At a time when the walls are being demolished in the world, a new wall is being erected in the centre of Lefkosia.

Yeah, right!! Israel????
Turkey (( *
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Here is our new wall

Postby demetriou_74 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:49 pm

Turkey (( * wrote:
RAFAELLA wrote:At a time when the walls are being demolished in the world, a new wall is being erected in the centre of Lefkosia.

Yeah, right!! Israel????

the people involved are a special breed of lunatics who can not talk.

about the turk building a wall did they give reasons
demetriou_74
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Turkey (( * » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:55 pm

Did the Israelis?? Do you really believe what they gave as reason?? Please tell me you don't, it is RUBBISH. By the way, what I said does not justify, support or oppose the wall in Cyprus that we are talking at the moment.
Sorry for going off topic...
Turkey (( *
Contributor
Contributor

Postby city » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:06 pm

Please someone tell me that they are not really doing this!
What the reason whats the aim whats the sense of it?

Only 2 years ago they opened the border for everyone and now they are building a wall?
How shall anyone believe after that, that a solution, other than division, is desired?
Might that be the reason.........?
city
Contributor
Contributor

Postby detailer » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:40 pm

Don't believe what Afrika say immediately. They are professinal in dramitising things.
detailer
Contributor
Contributor

Postby city » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:30 pm

So what are the facts then behind it?
city
Contributor
Contributor

Postby cannedmoose » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:36 pm

Anyone care to drive out there and take a picture if this is happening. If so, it should be more widely publicised.
cannedmoose
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Postby detailer » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:45 pm

city wrote:So what are the facts then behind it?

I couldnt find any information about this in any other newspapers on the web. But in general, "Afrika" does not give news but comments in a dramatic and provacative way, so it is a good practice to confirm. I will let you know if I find something.
detailer
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Cyprus Problem