The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content

GPS Cyprus - Navigation System Available

Feel free to talk about anything that you want.

GPS Cyprus - Navigation System Available

Postby uher » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:29 pm

Hi every one
Cyprus GPS navigation system for cars and general use is complete. You can register your account , write comments and suggestions and even order (Mail Orders Only) online inclusion in to POIs databse or GPS SD card.
Regards

http://shop.gpscyprus.com
uher

Postby Hazza » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:28 pm

So the card is £105CYP for the software, how much would a middle of the range unit cost? Bulk price, card, unit and intallation, what is it?
Hazza
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby uher » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:36 pm

Well I dont know the price for the unit. I am doing their web site and I got the device "Garmin" Street Pilot c330 and GPS card from them free. What I can tell you is that looks just beautiful. Amazing really.
Anyway, you dont need any installation. Just insert the card (plug and play) and thats it. You're on the map. Choose the destination!
uher

Postby Sotos » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:56 pm

Are upgrades to the software and maps for free? Can you enter an address in the system and get directions to it? Does it require any specific hardware or all GPS hardware can work with it? Your site is just shopping card. You have to give more info. A LOT more info since GPS is something new for Cyprus. :wink:
Sotos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Postby coredump » Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:18 am

coredump

Postby uher » Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:38 am

Sotos wrote:Are upgrades to the software and maps for free? Can you enter an address in the system and get directions to it? Does it require any specific hardware or all GPS hardware can work with it? Your site is just shopping card. You have to give more info. A LOT more info since GPS is something new for Cyprus. :wink:

I've been told that user updates will be free. However, this is up to developer to announce. "Can you enter an address in the system and get directions to it?" Sure! Even the house number. And much more. You can search the database (on the card) by phone (even if you know 3 digits only), zip, email, website... On the version I've got, there are around 700 - 800 POI's. You can search for the nearest restaurant with the choice of cuisine (Greek, Italian etc) and as soon you make selection you are guided. In a sec.
I've seen the same card working on various models, instantly. Again, I am not software developer and not so good with GPS machines, so I don't know for sure.

Regarding the site, I am actually working on it 24Hrs. Will be fully complete very very shortly. Including Flash site :lol:
Last edited by uher on Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
uher

Postby uher » Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:43 am

coredump wrote:http://shop.gpscyprus.com/view_product.php?product=GPSKO07Y38
Delivery starts from: 24-10-2005

They are adding new POI's next 20-30 days. Many people would like to have their name in POI database and to be found with GPS. Since they announced the product few days earlier, people didn't have opportunity to do so. Now, they do.
uher

Postby andytandreou » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:14 am

Does this mean that maporama.com, mapquest.com and googlemaps.com will have Cyprus FINALLY on their systems so we can get onlineand type in a street and be given information before we leave the house (like the rest of the planet)? Will we actually be able to plan a route from our PCs? If mapquest.com gets the data from GPS Cyprus and adds it to it's online street mapping system will that constitute a copyright violation? I suppose my question is: Do you guys offer a commercial license to companies like mapquest who can take your data and put in in their own mapping systems online?
andytandreou

Postby uher » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:51 pm

andytandreou wrote:Does this mean that maporama.com, mapquest.com and googlemaps.com will have Cyprus FINALLY on their systems so we can get onlineand type in a street and be given information before we leave the house (like the rest of the planet)? Will we actually be able to plan a route from our PCs? If mapquest.com gets the data from GPS Cyprus and adds it to it's online street mapping system will that constitute a copyright violation? I suppose my question is: Do you guys offer a commercial license to companies like mapquest who can take your data and put in in their own mapping systems online?

They will not give the source maps. Insted, they are preparing Internet edition where you will be able to connect to gps databse with mobile phone via WAP and SMS. I have no idea how that works.
That should be developed by some EU company. Don't know when.
uher

Postby MoscowMale » Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:12 pm

The website doesn't give too much info at present, but can you confirm the operating system is compatible with Tom Tom Go?
MoscowMale

Next

Return to General Chat