The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content

Car prices in Cyprus/duty and tax

Feel free to talk about anything that you want.

Car prices in Cyprus/duty and tax

Postby SA » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:59 pm

If we are moving to Cyprus from UK next year would it be better to buy a new car once we get there or would it be cheaper to buy in UK and import it? I assume there are no more duty/tax free opportunities now that Cyprus is in the EU.

And what about our current car, can we sell it in Cyprus and transfer it to someone over there if it is registered in UK?

How can I find out from the UK how much particular cars are in Cyprus to compare them to UK prices, apart from telephoning a dealer? ie, are there any useful websites?
SA

Postby Aris » Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:25 pm

Cars are definitely cheaper in the UK but you will need to ship it here and I don't know how much that would be.
You also have to consider the warranties and the services that the Cyprus dealer will provide. It might be hard to get these things if you buy the car in the UK.

For cars and prices you can check this site (in Greek but good one):
http://www.efinder.com.cy/

Also this: http://www.cypruscars.com
Aris

Unbelievable prices!

Postby SA » Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:54 am

That was very useful! I can't believe how expensive the cars are in Cyprus. It is definitely worthwhile buying a new car in UK. The car I am interested in is about £25,000 cheaper here!

If I import it from UK will I have to pay anything such as tax?

Sarah

P.S. Do you know if they are aiming to make all the primary/junior schools in Cyprus all day ones? (I hope not. I was looking forward to having a siesta and playing with my children all afternoon!)
SA

Postby Aris » Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:51 am

The car I am interested in is about £25,000 cheaper here!

Thats a lot of money, are you sure? Which car is it? Our system here favors cars with small engines (1.6 litters and bellow). Cars with big engines are heavily taxed because they are considered a luxury you don't need to have :wink:

The prices you see are "burgainable" by the way. Depending on the dealer and the price you can usually get a 5%-15% discount if you don't trade in an old car.

If I import it from UK will I have to pay anything such as tax?

I am not 100% sure, but I believe you will have to if you didn't own the car for more than a year:
http://www.paphosfinder.com/car/buying- ... cyprus.htm

Here are the taxes you will probably have to pay:
http://www.paphosfinder.com/car/car-tax-duty.htm
Aris

Car prices

Postby SA » Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:20 pm

The car I was looking at is a BMW X5 automatic diesel. I could buy it for UK£37,000 in UK.

I have looked at those links but I am still confused about consumer tax, duty to pay etc.

I am not sure whether it would be better to just buy the car once we emigrate next year. If you buy the car from Cyprus do you pay any taxes or duty?
SA

Re: Car prices in Cyprus/duty and tax

Postby kc » Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:26 pm

SA wrote:If we are moving to Cyprus from UK next year would it be better to buy a new car once we get there or would it be cheaper to buy in UK and import it? I assume there are no more duty/tax free opportunities now that Cyprus is in the EU.

And what about our current car, can we sell it in Cyprus and transfer it to someone over there if it is registered in UK?

How can I find out from the UK how much particular cars are in Cyprus to compare them to UK prices, apart from telephoning a dealer? ie, are there any useful websites?

hello is it sarah me my wife and some friends are talking about buying apartment/villa in cyprus and you can guess we have a million questions to ask where,when and what would you be interested in answering my questions i could send you my e-mail address kevin (london)
kc
Trial Member
Trial Member

Postby Aris » Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:38 pm

I am not sure whether it would be better to just buy the car once we emigrate next year. If you buy the car from Cyprus do you pay any taxes or duty?

If you buy the car in Cyprus then taxes, VAT and sometimes registration fees are included in the price you pay to the dealer.

If you want more info about importing a car you can have a look at the official site bellow for all the details:

http://www.mof.gov.cy/mof/customs/Customs.nsf

(click where it says "cars").

hello is it sarah me my wife and some friends are talking about buying apartment/villa in cyprus and you can guess we have a million questions to ask where,when and what would you be interested in answering my questions i could send you my e-mail address kevin (london)

I believe the best way to do it is to come for a two week vacations in Cyprus to talk to people directly.
The official place to get information is http://www.cyprus.gov.cy/ , in particular the "government and independent services" section has a lot of useful info.
For a villa the options are countless. Many people would be interested to give you info about it but it is better if you do your own research first online and then when you visit here before you make your choice.

This site might also be useful: http://www.ukca.com.cy/
Aris

Postby Judge Mental » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:14 pm

We are hoping to relocate to Cyprus in the near future, and we looked into the costs of bringing one of our vehicles with us (Landrover Freelander 1.8 litre petrol engine).

We were quoted £2000 (UK) to transport to Cyprus; then we would have had to pay an import duty based on engine size - If I remember correctly it worked out at around CY£2.70 per cc. which made the payable duty CY£5040 - it basically just wasn't economically viable.

We found that we could buy a new Mitsubishi L200 4x4 pick-up with 4 doors (essentially a Mitsubishi Sport with a pick-up rear) for between CY£13k and CY£15k dependent on model........

.......no contest really.

....and we would strongly recommend you visit Cyprus for 2 weeks and go everywhere you think you would like to live, and talk to as many people as you can.....worth its weight in gold.

Oh, and we went into the UKCA Paphos branch.....and walked out about 2 minutes later after some stuck up Jobs worth insisted we showed him our passports before we could enter.

The Judge
Judge Mental

Postby brother » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:43 pm

:lol:
brother
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Postby Svetlana » Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:43 pm

If you are retiring to Cyprus and have owned the vehicle for over 6 months and VSAT was paid in an EU country, you will not pay VAT or Import Taxes.

If you are a retiree you may buy a vehicle Duty free here.

Lana
Svetlana
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Next

Return to General Chat