The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Turks' "megalistic" complexes.

Benefits and problems from the EU membership.

Postby doesntmatter » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:16 am

Oracle wrote:
zan wrote:All this from a guy who made sure that the term "IQ" featured in all his posts :lol: :lol: :lol: The only time he shut up about it was when I told him my 15 year old son has an IQ of 161.... :lol: :lol: :lol:


I think that is precisely what Kifeas is talking about ...

Why should you advertise your son's IQ ..... Do you know what that means?

Kifeas has never made a song and dance about his own IQ ... it is the Turks who go on about it. That he is super-intelligent stands out from his every post.

None of the GCs have boasted about their qualifications, as though they substantiate anything ... Yet just today, amidst joking about Einstein, YFred had to jump in and shout out his "O" levels, and "A" Levels ... as though the sin he made of wishing Nuclear arsenal deployment, was qualified by the mere fact he had received an "education".

Before you say anything about me ... I too have kept quiet about my qualifications, and it was only GR!'s (partial) revelations that you TCs started to capitalise on this. I don't use "qualifications" as a measure of intelligence.

On the whole most GCs seek education and life-long learning and do not boast about it ... it is a "norm"!


If the "norm" is anything like you then God help the Greeks. :lol:
User avatar
doesntmatter
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 678
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:02 am

Postby zan » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:19 am

Oracle wrote:
zan wrote:All this from a guy who made sure that the term "IQ" featured in all his posts :lol: :lol: :lol: The only time he shut up about it was when I told him my 15 year old son has an IQ of 161.... :lol: :lol: :lol:


I think that is precisely what Kifeas is talking about ...

Why should you advertise your son's IQ ..... Do you know what that means?

Kifeas has never made a song and dance about his own IQ ... it is the Turks who go on about it. That he is super-intelligent stands out from his every post.

None of the GCs have boasted about their qualifications, as though they substantiate anything ... Yet just today, amidst joking about Einstein, YFred had to jump in and shout out his "O" levels, and "A" Levels ... as though the sin he made of wishing Nuclear arsenal deployment, was qualified by the mere fact he had received an "education".

Before you say anything about me ... I too have kept quiet about my qualifications, and it was only GR!'s (partial) revelations that you TCs started to capitalise on this. I don't use "qualifications" as a measure of intelligence.

On the whole most GCs seek education and life-long learning and do not boast about it ... it is a "norm"!


I think your whole persona says a lot more than any qualifications you might have....The same with Kifeas.....He produces the right language to make him sound as if he has worked it all out but he clearly hasn't. He is a human copy and paste machine.....You are in good company.....Now ask me about my qualifications so it does not look as if I am being megalistic...... 8)
User avatar
zan
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16213
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:55 pm

Re: Turks' "megalistic" complexes.

Postby Oracle » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:27 am

Kifeas wrote:Turks' "megalism" complexes.

It is a common practice among mature and cultured people not to go around self-praising, boasting and adulating themselves; but instead to let others freely recognize, talk and praise them for their qualities and achievements. To do the opposite, is an indication of a person’s low self-esteem, insecurity and inferiority complexes. The same I believe holds true for countries and nations, as well as their representative political and all sorts of other leaders.

Yet, the above universal truth does not seem to register with many Turks, especially with many of their elected and non-elected leaders. Too often we hear statements from the mouth of Turkish presidents and PMs, as well as notable journalists of the Turkish media, expressing and exhibiting an attitude of “megalism” for the fact that Turkey has a comparatively larger population; as if such an attribute is by itself some kind of a quality that sets them apart from other countries with smaller populations, and therefore should "rightfully" allow them to look down at them, or even be able to enjoy more rights and privileges than them. This is something one reads too often in Turkish media.

Recently, Turkish PM Erdogan used as an “argument” as to why the EU should ignore and abandon Cyprus (the “GC administration”) in favor of Turkey and its EU accession, the fact that turkey is a “great” country of 70 million, while “south Cyprus” a “little” and “insignificant” one of only 700 thousand people. He did not give any arguments on the basis of justice or fairness, after all he didn’t have many to present, but instead he used one which on the analogy of two individuals would have been related to their difference in height (heightism,) or their difference in wealth and possessions. The man probably, being uncultured and ill educated, did not read the UN Charter which says that every country, irrespective of its size, is sovereignly, legally and politically equal to any and every other; just like on an individual level, every man is equal to another, irrespective of gender, race, color, height, weight, religious or ideological belief, etc.

A few days ago, Erdogan had an argument with Perez, Israel’s president, because in his view Perez spoke towards him in an inappropriate manner. Yesterday, Turkish President Gul argued that Perez should have known that Turkey is a big country (read ‘megalism” again) and should have avoided to speak to Erodgan in such a manner. In other words, if Turkey was not a country of 70 million, but instead a smaller one, there would not be such a problem, if indeed Perez was of talking was inappropriate and even insulting. The problem again arises from the fact that Turkey is a big country, and therefore should be fully respected, presumably unlike any other smaller country which is not essential to be treated likewise. The story goes on and on, with numerous examples of which we Cypriots are too well aware. As a matter of fact, I hardly ever heard any American diplomats or elected leaders (perhaps Bush might have been an exception, even though I do not remember any such case) playing along these “megalistic” lines, while conducting their foreign policy. You will never hear them saying to other countries that they should do as they are told, only because the US is a big country or a superpower, but will instead try to find other more “plausible” or “reasonable” arguments.

Why is Turkey (its leaders, diplomats and a large section of its media and society) do exhibit such “megalistic” syndromes or complexes (delusions of grandeur I may add,) when dealing with their foreign relations and problems? It is obvious that such attitudes originate from inferiority complexes, due to the fact that even though the country is large both in terms of size, resources and population, does not enjoy an analogues prestige to that of other western countries of similar size (UK, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, etc,) and even less in many cases to that of much smaller countries. Therefore, instead of them trying to win friends and respect, and win admiration and envy on the basis of more civilized premises, such as their cultural, educational, scientific and sports achievements or contributions, or on the basis of their modern democratic culture, respect of human rights and legality, economic prosperity of their citizens, freedom of expression, etc -and if they lack behind in these spheres (which is in fact the case,) to try and gradually develop themselves at par with others; they try to “win” their way by throwing around their population, military size and strategic location, and even try to blackmail on this basis. That of course in the eyes of the west does not look good at all, and brings about the opposite result, as it indicates an arrogant and culturally backward nation. This is also the message that is being received when hearing comments by their politicial leaders, such as the two recent examples from Erdogan and Gul I gave earlier.


This is a good summation and definition of the bully-mentality!

Brawn quashing brains in a world of "nature red in tooth and claw" ... the opposite of the requirements for acceptance amongst the cultivated Europeans .... It seems this is the first thing which must be rectified from the top Turkish ministerial position down....
User avatar
Oracle
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 23507
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:13 am
Location: Anywhere but...

Postby zan » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:32 am

I am so glad that you and Kifeas will no longer try to fool the world with your rubbish excuses as to why we cannot be partners in Cyprus because we are fewer than you...The numbers thing will be a thing of the past yes??? 8)






The numbers have been very important when some EU countries object to Turkey joining because they will automatically become second only to Germany. When they talk about numbers it is an affront to Kifeas and fuel for Oracle to talk about something she knows nothing about... :roll:
User avatar
zan
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16213
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:55 pm

Postby insan » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:31 am

Kifeas, I agree with u that to a degree what u observed and concluded abt "Turks" is true. However u need to be more specific, imo. What i've observed is this "megalistic" habit exists among Turks of Turkey and Turks of Cyprus from 50s onwards. In the mean time I observed the same "megalistic" habit exists among Hellenes of Greece, Hellenes of Cyprus and diaspora Hellenes. Furthermore I observed the same "megalistic" habit among some Arabic states of middle east. U too have the same "megalistic" habit, time to time. I have some opinions regarding the motives behind it but i've never overrated such issues.
User avatar
insan
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 9037
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:33 pm
Location: Somewhere in ur network. ;]

Re: Turks' "megalistic" complexes.

Postby Get Real! » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:37 am

Kifeas wrote:"megalistic", "megalism"

Try megalomanic! :roll:
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40444
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Turks' "megalistic" complexes.

Postby zan » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:41 am

Get Real! wrote:
Kifeas wrote:"megalistic", "megalism"

Try megalomanic! :roll:


I would try PEDANTIC for both of you :lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
zan
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16213
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:55 pm

Postby Get Real! » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:42 am

doesntmatter wrote:You can claim what you want but to date, we have not seen any "credible evidence" of you "higher IQ". :lol:

I'd post credible evidence of your IQ but you wouldn’t understand it…
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40444
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Postby insan » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:48 am

http://megalistic.com/

Attention: This Method Has Never Been Discussed Before... Anywhere!
"Discover The Simple Copy & Paste Traffic Method That Will Break Into Any Niche, The More Competition the Better!... 100% Guaranteed"


Kifeas, sorry if i hijacked ur thread. :wink:
User avatar
insan
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 9037
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:33 pm
Location: Somewhere in ur network. ;]

Postby repulsewarrior » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:13 am

...it is true that throughout history the "Turks" (read Ottomans) have by numbers overwhelmed their adversaries.

Turkey is a great nation, thanks to Ataturk, yet it stagnates under the Kemalists who have made it a crime to think in a manner that questions their dogma. Mired in the world before this great thinker, Turkey has become a nation which is aiming to bring a benefit to its Turkish population rather than the Turks which make it whole.

...as such, the (deep) State is not as big as it thinks, inviting division within the population their mentor sought successfully to unite.
User avatar
repulsewarrior
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7609
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:13 am
Location: homeless in Canada

PreviousNext

Return to Cyprus and the European Union

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests