The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Turks' "megalistic" complexes.

Benefits and problems from the EU membership.

Turks' "megalistic" complexes.

Postby Kifeas » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:54 pm

Turks' "megalism" complexes.

It is a common practice among mature and cultured people not to go around self-praising, boasting and adulating themselves; but instead to let others freely recognize, talk and praise them for their qualities and achievements. To do the opposite, is an indication of a person’s low self-esteem, insecurity and inferiority complexes. The same I believe holds true for countries and nations, as well as their representative political and all sorts of other leaders.

Yet, the above universal truth does not seem to register with many Turks, especially with many of their elected and non-elected leaders. Too often we hear statements from the mouth of Turkish presidents and PMs, as well as notable journalists of the Turkish media, expressing and exhibiting an attitude of “megalism” for the fact that Turkey has a comparatively larger population; as if such an attribute is by itself some kind of a quality that sets them apart from other countries with smaller populations, and therefore should "rightfully" allow them to look down at them, or even be able to enjoy more rights and privileges than them. This is something one reads too often in Turkish media.

Recently, Turkish PM Erdogan used as an “argument” as to why the EU should ignore and abandon Cyprus (the “GC administration”) in favor of Turkey and its EU accession, the fact that turkey is a “great” country of 70 million, while “south Cyprus” a “little” and “insignificant” one of only 700 thousand people. He did not give any arguments on the basis of justice or fairness, after all he didn’t have many to present, but instead he used one which on the analogy of two individuals would have been related to their difference in height (heightism,) or their difference in wealth and possessions. The man probably, being uncultured and ill educated, did not read the UN Charter which says that every country, irrespective of its size, is sovereignly, legally and politically equal to any and every other; just like on an individual level, every man is equal to another, irrespective of gender, race, color, height, weight, religious or ideological belief, etc.

A few days ago, Erdogan had an argument with Perez, Israel’s president, because in his view Perez spoke towards him in an inappropriate manner. Yesterday, Turkish President Gul argued that Perez should have known that Turkey is a big country (read ‘megalism” again) and should have avoided to speak to Erodgan in such a manner. In other words, if Turkey was not a country of 70 million, but instead a smaller one, there would not be such a problem, if indeed Perez was of talking was inappropriate and even insulting. The problem again arises from the fact that Turkey is a big country, and therefore should be fully respected, presumably unlike any other smaller country which is not essential to be treated likewise. The story goes on and on, with numerous examples of which we Cypriots are too well aware. As a matter of fact, I hardly ever heard any American diplomats or elected leaders (perhaps Bush might have been an exception, even though I do not remember any such case) playing along these “megalistic” lines, while conducting their foreign policy. You will never hear them saying to other countries that they should do as they are told, only because the US is a big country or a superpower, but will instead try to find other more “plausible” or “reasonable” arguments.

Why is Turkey (its leaders, diplomats and a large section of its media and society) do exhibit such “megalistic” syndromes or complexes (delusions of grandeur I may add,) when dealing with their foreign relations and problems? It is obvious that such attitudes originate from inferiority complexes, due to the fact that even though the country is large both in terms of size, resources and population, does not enjoy an analogues prestige to that of other western countries of similar size (UK, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, etc,) and even less in many cases to that of much smaller countries. Therefore, instead of them trying to win friends and respect, and win admiration and envy on the basis of more civilized premises, such as their cultural, educational, scientific and sports achievements or contributions, or on the basis of their modern democratic culture, respect of human rights and legality, economic prosperity of their citizens, freedom of expression, etc -and if they lack behind in these spheres (which is in fact the case,) to try and gradually develop themselves at par with others; they try to “win” their way by throwing around their population, military size and strategic location, and even try to blackmail on this basis. That of course in the eyes of the west does not look good at all, and brings about the opposite result, as it indicates an arrogant and culturally backward nation. This is also the message that is being received when hearing comments by their politicial leaders, such as the two recent examples from Erdogan and Gul I gave earlier.
Last edited by Kifeas on Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Kifeas
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4927
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:19 am
Location: Lapithos, Kyrenia, now Pafos; Cyprus.

Postby zan » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:41 pm

All this from a guy who made sure that the term "IQ" featured in all his posts :lol: :lol: :lol: The only time he shut up about it was when I told him my 15 year old son has an IQ of 161.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
zan
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16213
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:55 pm

Postby zan » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:44 pm

And this classic from GR 8)

Get Real wrote:

Anyone who starts playing Turkish monkey games with GR automatically enables the Turkish monkey mode where even your mothers become fare game as far as I’m concerned… so if that’s what you want I happen to speak that language too so be my guests!

When I present you with credible evidence you cop it, and you cop it good and don’t EVER play games with me you incompetent Turkish goofballs…



Does this fall into the category Kifeas or is there another word for those who talk about themselves in the third person??? :lol: :lol:
User avatar
zan
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16213
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:55 pm

Postby paliometoxo » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:50 pm

ha they are so desperate for eu and they dont want to recognise roc they run to the eu saying oh ignore cyprus LOOOOOOOOOOOL idiots turkey is stupid, carry on this way they will never join eu
User avatar
paliometoxo
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8837
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:55 pm
Location: Nicosia, paliometocho

Re: Turks' "megalism" complexes.

Postby doesntmatter » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:52 pm

Kifeas wrote:Turks' "megalism" complexes.

It is a common practice among mature and cultured people not to go around self-praising, boasting and adulating themselves; but instead to let others freely recognize, talk and praise them for their qualities and achievements. To do the opposite, is an indication of a person’s low self-esteem, insecurity and inferiority complexes. The same I believe holds true for countries and nations, as well as their representative political and all sorts of other leaders.

Yet, the above universal truth does not seem to register with many Turks, especially with many of their elected and non-elected leaders. Too often we hear statements from the mouth of Turkish presidents and PMs, as well as notable journalists of the Turkish media, expressing and exhibiting an attitude of “megalism” for the fact that Turkey has a comparatively larger population; as if such an attribute is by itself some kind of a quality that sets them apart from other countries with smaller populations, and therefore should "rightfully" allow them to look down at them, or even be able to enjoy more rights and privileges than them. This is something one reads too often in Turkish media.

Recently, Turkish PM Erdogan used as an “argument” as to why the EU should ignore and abandon Cyprus (the “GC administration”) in favor of Turkey and its EU accession, the fact that turkey is a “great” country of 70 million, while “south Cyprus” a “little” and “insignificant” one of only 700 thousand people. He did not give any arguments on the basis of justice or fairness, after all he didn’t have many to present, but instead he used one which on the analogy of two individuals would have been related to their difference in height (heightism,) or their difference in wealth and possessions. The man probably, being uncultured and ill educated, did not read the UN Charter which says that every country, irrespective of its size, is sovereignly, legally and politically equal to any and every other; just like on an individual level, every man is equal to another, irrespective of gender, race, color, height, weight, religious or ideological belief, etc.

A few days ago, Erdogan had an argument with Perez, Israel’s president, because in his view Perez spoke towards him in an inappropriate manner. Yesterday, Turkish President Gul argued that Perez should have known that Turkey is a big country (read ‘megalism” again) and should have avoided to speak to Erodgan in such a manner. In other words, if Turkey was not a country of 70 million, but instead a smaller one, there would not be such a problem, if indeed Perez was of talking was inappropriate and even insulting. The problem again arises from the fact that Turkey is a big country, and therefore should be fully respected, presumably unlike any other smaller country which is not essential to be treated likewise. The story goes on and on, with numerous examples of which we Cypriots are too well aware. As a matter of fact, I hardly ever heard any American diplomats or elected leaders (perhaps Bush might have been an exception, even though I do not remember any such case) playing along these “megalistic” lines, while conducting their foreign policy. You will never hear them saying to other countries that they should do as they are told, only because the US is a big country or a superpower, but will instead try to find other more “plausible” or “reasonable” arguments.

Why is Turkey (its leaders, diplomats and a large section of its media and society) do exhibit such “megalistic” syndromes or complexes (delusions of grandeur I may add,) when dealing with their foreign relations and problems? It is obvious that such attitudes originate from inferiority complexes, due to the fact that even though the country is large both in terms of size, resources and population, does not enjoy an analogues prestige to that of other western countries of similar size (UK, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, etc,) and even less in many cases to that of much smaller countries. Therefore, instead of them trying to win friends and respect, and win admiration and envy on the basis of more civilized premises, such as their cultural, educational, scientific and sports achievements or contributions, or on the basis of their modern democratic culture, respect of human rights and legality, economic prosperity of their citizens, freedom of expression, etc -and if they lack behind in these spheres (which is in fact the case,) to try and gradually develop themselves at par with others; they try to “win” their way by throwing around their population, military size and strategic location, and even try to blackmail on this basis. That of course in the eyes of the west does not look good at all, and brings about the opposite result, as it indicates an arrogant and culturally backward nation. This is also the message that is being received when hearing comments by their politicial leaders, such as the two recent examples from Erdogan and Gul I gave earlier.


hmmmm....no gym on Sundays? :lol:
User avatar
doesntmatter
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 678
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:02 am

Postby Kifeas » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:58 pm

zan wrote:All this from a guy who made sure that the term "IQ" featured in all his posts :lol: :lol: :lol: The only time he shut up about it was when I told him my 15 year old son has an IQ of 161.... :lol: :lol: :lol:


That I tell you the obvious about your low IQ, does not mean or equates with me saying that you have a low IQ because you are a TC; or with me claiming that I have the higher IQ because I am a Greek Cypriot. Of course, being of low IQ, naturally such a thing could not have possibly registered with you; otherwise you would never have come up with such an irrelevant post, as a response to my initial post of this thread.
User avatar
Kifeas
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4927
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:19 am
Location: Lapithos, Kyrenia, now Pafos; Cyprus.

Postby zan » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:59 pm

Kifeas wrote:
zan wrote:All this from a guy who made sure that the term "IQ" featured in all his posts :lol: :lol: :lol: The only time he shut up about it was when I told him my 15 year old son has an IQ of 161.... :lol: :lol: :lol:


That I tell you the obvious about your low IQ, does not mean or equates with me saying that you have a low IQ because you are a TC; or with me claiming that I have the higher IQ because I am a Greek Cypriot. Of course, being of low IQ, naturally such a thing could not have possibly registered with you; otherwise you would never have come up with such an irrelevant post, as a response to my initial post of this thread.


BINGO!!!!!! Thanks Kifeas 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
zan
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16213
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:55 pm

Postby zan » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:05 am

Kifeas wrote:
Recently, Turkish PM Erdogan used as an “argument” as to why the EU should ignore and abandon Cyprus (the “GC administration”) in favor of Turkey and its EU accession, the fact that turkey is a “great” country of 70 million, while “south Cyprus” a “little” and “insignificant” one of only 700 thousand people. He did not give any arguments on the basis of justice or fairness, after all he didn’t have many to present, but instead he used one which on the analogy of two individuals would have been related to their difference in height (heightism,) or their difference in wealth and possessions. The man probably, being uncultured and ill educated, did not read the UN Charter which says that every country, irrespective of its size, is sovereignly, legally and politically equal to any and every other; just like on an individual level, every man is equal to another, irrespective of gender, race, color, height, weight, religious or ideological belief, etc.


Can I ask you how many times you have mentioned that your "Superior" numbers dictate in Cyprus :?: :arrow: :roll:
User avatar
zan
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16213
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:55 pm

Postby Oracle » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:14 am

zan wrote:All this from a guy who made sure that the term "IQ" featured in all his posts :lol: :lol: :lol: The only time he shut up about it was when I told him my 15 year old son has an IQ of 161.... :lol: :lol: :lol:


I think that is precisely what Kifeas is talking about ...

Why should you advertise your son's IQ ..... Do you know what that means?

Kifeas has never made a song and dance about his own IQ ... it is the Turks who go on about it. That he is super-intelligent stands out from his every post.

None of the GCs have boasted about their qualifications, as though they substantiate anything ... Yet just today, amidst joking about Einstein, YFred had to jump in and shout out his "O" levels, and "A" Levels ... as though the sin he made of wishing Nuclear arsenal deployment, was qualified by the mere fact he had received an "education".

Before you say anything about me ... I too have kept quiet about my qualifications, and it was only GR!'s (partial) revelations that you TCs started to capitalise on this. I don't use "qualifications" as a measure of intelligence.

On the whole most GCs seek education and life-long learning and do not boast about it ... it is a "norm"!
User avatar
Oracle
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 23507
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:13 am
Location: Anywhere but...

Postby doesntmatter » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:14 am

Kifeas wrote:
zan wrote:All this from a guy who made sure that the term "IQ" featured in all his posts :lol: :lol: :lol: The only time he shut up about it was when I told him my 15 year old son has an IQ of 161.... :lol: :lol: :lol:


That I tell you the obvious about your low IQ, does not mean or equates with me saying that you have a low IQ because you are a TC; or with me claiming that I have the higher IQ because I am a Greek Cypriot. Of course, being of low IQ, naturally such a thing could not have possibly registered with you; otherwise you would never have come up with such an irrelevant post, as a response to my initial post of this thread.


You can claim what you want but to date, we have not seen any "credible evidence" of you "higher IQ". :lol:
User avatar
doesntmatter
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 678
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:02 am

Next

Return to Cyprus and the European Union

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest