The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


The Euro Zone Mess

Everything related to politics in Cyprus and the rest of the world.

Re: The Euro Zone Mess

Postby kurupetos » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:52 pm

B25 wrote:Does this now mean that the Cypriot banks can now sell their worthless Greek bonds to the ECB and recoup some of their losses???

It seems the EU won't allow us to do that. :evil:

http://famagusta-gazette.com/cyprus-can ... 599-69.htm
User avatar
kurupetos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 17940
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Cyprus

Re: The Euro Zone Mess

Postby kimon07 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:47 am

GreekIslandGirl wrote:What's the point of worrying about the profits of these companies (banks)? Were the banks ever going to finance our war of independence? Or pay mercenaries to remove the Turkish troops? No!


They want the banks to be "healthy" and strong so as to be able to keep borrowing money from international funds in order to lend them to the businesses (for the sake of investments they say) and to the citizens (for homes, consumer goods etc). Thus, the businesses and the citizens will always be indebted to the local banks and the local banks to the international banking and other financing institutions.Thus you secure the everlasting dependency of states and nations on those controlling the International economy (and the puppet governments of all countries).
kimon07
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3386
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:22 am

Re: The Euro Zone Mess

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:24 am

kimon07 wrote:
GreekIslandGirl wrote:What's the point of worrying about the profits of these companies (banks)? Were the banks ever going to finance our war of independence? Or pay mercenaries to remove the Turkish troops? No!


They want the banks to be "healthy" and strong so as to be able to keep borrowing money from international funds in order to lend them to the businesses (for the sake of investments they say) and to the citizens (for homes, consumer goods etc). Thus, the businesses and the citizens will always be indebted to the local banks and the local banks to the international banking and other financing institutions.Thus you secure the everlasting dependency of states and nations on those controlling the International economy (and the puppet governments of all countries).


Sure, but most Greek business ventures never began with loans from banks but from families working together.

Businesses that are so big that they need loans and are in it purely for personal profits are not the sort which help their country.
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8962
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Re: The Euro Zone Mess

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:42 pm

Europe is still the closest thing to paradise on Earth

Despite the eurozone crisis, Europeans should not forget how great a place to live their continent is

Remi Adekoya
guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 19 September 2012 10.27 BST

Greeks may 'take issue with being told they are lucky to live in Europe. But in 2011 … Greece still had a higher GDP per capita than any country in South America and Africa.'

Listening to all the gloom and doom on the news these days, I sometimes catch myself actually starting to feel sorry for people living in Europe. Then I tell myself I must be mad. Even with a crisis, Europeans still enjoy just about the safest, healthiest and wealthiest lives on the planet.

According to the UN human development index (HDI), which measures life expectancy, literacy, education levels and standards of living in a country, six of the 10 most developed nations in the world are in Europe.

And when the HDI takes into account inequality, nine out of the 10 best-performing nations are European, proof that the old continent has been the most effective in creating the least stratified societies.

I realise the 24% of unemployed Greek citizens might take issue with being told they are lucky to live in Europe. But in 2011, after four years of recession, Greece still had a higher GDP per capita based on purchasing power parity (PPP) than any country in South America and Africa as well as most of Asia, according to the IMF. None of the much-touted Brics (Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa) has a GDP per capita even close to that of the European "sick man".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... e-on-earth
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8962
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Re: The Euro Zone Mess

Postby supporttheunderdog » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:33 am

Spain's crisis flares again as AAA club scuppers bank rescue deal
Spain's debt crisis has returned with a vengeance after Germany, Holland and Finland reneged on a crucial summit deal and scuppered hopes of direct eurozone help for Spanish banks.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financialcrisis/9569353/Spains-crisis-flares-again-as-AAA-club-scuppers-bank-rescue-deal.html
and

ECB will not fill Greek budget gaps, says Bundesbank president
The European Central Bank will not fill potential financing gaps in Greece's budget, Governing Council member Jens Weidmann said on Wednesday.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financialcrisis/9568480/ECB-will-not-fill-Greek-budget-gaps-says-Bundesbank-president.html
User avatar
supporttheunderdog
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8201
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:03 pm
Location: limassol

Re: The Euro Zone Mess

Postby Grizos Katos » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:15 am

GreekIslandGirl wrote:
kimon07 wrote:
GreekIslandGirl wrote:What's the point of worrying about the profits of these companies (banks)? Were the banks ever going to finance our war of independence? Or pay mercenaries to remove the Turkish troops? No!


They want the banks to be "healthy" and strong so as to be able to keep borrowing money from international funds in order to lend them to the businesses (for the sake of investments they say) and to the citizens (for homes, consumer goods etc). Thus, the businesses and the citizens will always be indebted to the local banks and the local banks to the international banking and other financing institutions.Thus you secure the everlasting dependency of states and nations on those controlling the International economy (and the puppet governments of all countries).


Sure, but most Greek business ventures never began with loans from banks but from families working together.

Businesses that are so big that they need loans and are in it purely for personal profits are not the sort which help their country.


Are you serious?

That is incorrect since businesses which expand with private investor finds to raise capital and from borrowings create many jobs and when this sector is not doing well, it usually means very high unemployment such as what we are seeing in Cyprus today.
User avatar
Grizos Katos
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:38 am

Re: The Euro Zone Mess

Postby Get Real! » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:33 pm

Grizos Katos wrote:
GreekIslandGirl wrote:Sure, but most Greek business ventures never began with loans from banks but from families working together.

Businesses that are so big that they need loans and are in it purely for personal profits are not the sort which help their country.

Are you serious?

That is incorrect since businesses which expand with private investor finds to raise capital and from borrowings create many jobs and when this sector is not doing well, it usually means very high unemployment such as what we are seeing in Cyprus today.

I think her mind froze in November 1972 when she walked into a glass door. :|
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40525
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: The Euro Zone Mess

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:51 pm

Grizos Katos wrote:
GreekIslandGirl wrote:
kimon07 wrote:
GreekIslandGirl wrote:What's the point of worrying about the profits of these companies (banks)? Were the banks ever going to finance our war of independence? Or pay mercenaries to remove the Turkish troops? No!


They want the banks to be "healthy" and strong so as to be able to keep borrowing money from international funds in order to lend them to the businesses (for the sake of investments they say) and to the citizens (for homes, consumer goods etc). Thus, the businesses and the citizens will always be indebted to the local banks and the local banks to the international banking and other financing institutions.Thus you secure the everlasting dependency of states and nations on those controlling the International economy (and the puppet governments of all countries).


Sure, but most Greek business ventures never began with loans from banks but from families working together.

Businesses that are so big that they need loans and are in it purely for personal profits are not the sort which help their country.


Are you serious?

That is incorrect since businesses which expand with private investor finds to raise capital and from borrowings create many jobs and when this sector is not doing well, it usually means very high unemployment such as what we are seeing in Cyprus today.


Revolution comes from an unhappy demos.
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8962
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Re: The Euro Zone Mess

Postby supporttheunderdog » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:11 am

revolution normally only replaces one elite with another, which in many cases seem to be more corrupt and oppressive of the people than the old regime - QV Tsarist and Stalinist Russia, iran, etc.,
User avatar
supporttheunderdog
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8201
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:03 pm
Location: limassol

Re: The Euro Zone Mess

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:13 am

Who asked you for your pseudo-intellectual thoughts on revolutions? Pleb!
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8962
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Elections

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests