The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Is this the end of Turkey's EU accession negotiations?

Benefits and problems from the EU membership.

Re: Is this the end of Turkey's EU accession negotiations?

Postby Maximus » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:38 pm

CBBB wrote:
Maximus wrote:
Lordo wrote:varosa was offered once before unconditionally and was refused. i suspect it wll be refused again if offered. it is a double edge sword. If it is returned and accpeted the world community will view recognising north in a different way.

i cannot see it being given back without ercan opening to the world. we don't give it back, what habve we got to lose. bugger all.


Who refused this offer and why?


It is lordo shit, it has never been offered unconditionally.


Yes, it obviously stinks and you don't want to step in it.
Maximus
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4274
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: Is this the end of Turkey's EU accession negotiations?

Postby Demonax » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:50 pm

Maximus wrote:
He does not look like a man concerend about making the EU happy but I disagree with your assertion that he could easily jump the EU's hurdles. All that is left then is for him to end the accession process because come October, he will have a lot more to comply with which I cant see him doing.

The US has just signaled that they would like Turkey to return Varosha to the RoC (unconditionally) before the resumption of the sh*t talks in October.. (what a coincidence)


True. Turkey is going to find that opening any other accession chapters beyond the one they have been conditionally promised, without implementing the Ankara Protocol, and some progress on Cyprus, is going to be difficult from now on.

Its accession is now firmly linked to democratic progress and steps towards recognition of Cyprus. The EU has Turkey where it wants and will squeeze it hard from now on. Erdogan will find himself trapped between his own Islamist agenda and other pro European forces in the country including the secularists and business lobby.
User avatar
Demonax
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1815
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:05 am

Re: Is this the end of Turkey's EU accession negotiations?

Postby Maximus » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:07 pm

Demonax wrote:
Maximus wrote:
He does not look like a man concerend about making the EU happy but I disagree with your assertion that he could easily jump the EU's hurdles. All that is left then is for him to end the accession process because come October, he will have a lot more to comply with which I cant see him doing.

The US has just signaled that they would like Turkey to return Varosha to the RoC (unconditionally) before the resumption of the sh*t talks in October.. (what a coincidence)


True. Turkey is going to find that opening any other accession chapters beyond the one they have been conditionally promised, without implementing the Ankara Protocol, and some progress on Cyprus, is going to be difficult from now on.

Its accession is now firmly linked to democratic progress and steps towards recognition of Cyprus. The EU has Turkey where it wants and will squeeze it hard from now on. Erdogan will find himself trapped between his own Islamist agenda and other pro European forces in the country including the secularists and business lobby.


I see a stern EU progress report for Turkey in October which will just go into Bagis trash can along with the previous one but this time, the fireworks coming out of Erdogan and Co's a$$ will be bigger.

Do you think the EU is preparing for a crisis in their relations with Turkey?
Maximus
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4274
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: Is this the end of Turkey's EU accession negotiations?

Postby Kikapu » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:10 pm

Demonax wrote:
Maximus wrote:
He does not look like a man concerend about making the EU happy but I disagree with your assertion that he could easily jump the EU's hurdles. All that is left then is for him to end the accession process because come October, he will have a lot more to comply with which I cant see him doing.

The US has just signaled that they would like Turkey to return Varosha to the RoC (unconditionally) before the resumption of the sh*t talks in October.. (what a coincidence)


True. Turkey is going to find that opening any other accession chapters beyond the one they have been conditionally promised, without implementing the Ankara Protocol, and some progress on Cyprus, is going to be difficult from now on.

Its accession is now firmly linked to democratic progress and steps towards recognition of Cyprus. The EU has Turkey where it wants and will squeeze it hard from now on. Erdogan will find himself trapped between his own Islamist agenda and other pro European forces in the country including the secularists and business lobby.


Merkel got Erdogan, Davutoglu and Bagis "pussy whipped" for sure with her proposals on Turkey's future EU prospects. Talk about grabbing all their balls all at once with just one hand. I haven't heard a pip from them since EU's announcement of their terms to Turkey, other than some pathetic face saving gibberish from Davutoglu..
User avatar
Kikapu
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 13541
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:18 pm

Re: Is this the end of Turkey's EU accession negotiations?

Postby Maximus » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:53 pm

Kikapu wrote:
Demonax wrote:
Maximus wrote:
He does not look like a man concerend about making the EU happy but I disagree with your assertion that he could easily jump the EU's hurdles. All that is left then is for him to end the accession process because come October, he will have a lot more to comply with which I cant see him doing.

The US has just signaled that they would like Turkey to return Varosha to the RoC (unconditionally) before the resumption of the sh*t talks in October.. (what a coincidence)


True. Turkey is going to find that opening any other accession chapters beyond the one they have been conditionally promised, without implementing the Ankara Protocol, and some progress on Cyprus, is going to be difficult from now on.

Its accession is now firmly linked to democratic progress and steps towards recognition of Cyprus. The EU has Turkey where it wants and will squeeze it hard from now on. Erdogan will find himself trapped between his own Islamist agenda and other pro European forces in the country including the secularists and business lobby.


Merkel got Erdogan, Davutoglu and Bagis "pussy whipped" for sure with her proposals on Turkey's future EU prospects. Talk about grabbing all their balls all at once with just one hand. I haven't heard a pip from them since EU's announcement of their terms to Turkey, other than some pathetic face saving gibberish from Davutoglu..


They are delighted with this development. I dont understand.
Maximus
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4274
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: Is this the end of Turkey's EU accession negotiations?

Postby Viewpoint » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:49 am

You will never get it, unfortunately when it comes to Turkey your thinking is flawed dont worry all GCs are raised that way, Turkey is happy because they have just gained another 4 months.
User avatar
Viewpoint
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 25211
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: Nicosia/Lefkosa

Re: Is this the end of Turkey's EU accession negotiations?

Postby Kikapu » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:34 am

Viewpoint wrote:You will never get it, unfortunately when it comes to Turkey your thinking is flawed dont worry all GCs are raised that way, Turkey is happy because they have just gained another 4 months.


What, much like having stay of execution or what?

Then what happens after 4 months, Turkey gets depressed?

So what you are saying is, Turkey needs the EU to be happy.

I think you are right, but they will never admit to it.

Regardless, Merkel now has gotten Erdogan, Davutoglu and Bagis right where she wants them.

Looks like them boys are afraid to say anything against the EU at the moment.
User avatar
Kikapu
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 13541
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:18 pm

Re: Is this the end of Turkey's EU accession negotiations?

Postby Maximus » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:00 am

Viewpoint wrote:You will never get it, unfortunately when it comes to Turkey your thinking is flawed dont worry all GCs are raised that way, Turkey is happy because they have just gained another 4 months.


By just stating that Turkey is happy because they have just gained another 4 months doesn't help anyone get it. Never mind the GC's you have singled out.

Please tell us why Turkey is happy to have gained 4 months and what they going to do in these 4 months to avert a crisis with the EU in October?
Maximus
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4274
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: Is this the end of Turkey's EU accession negotiations?

Postby Viewpoint » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:02 pm

Maximus wrote:
Viewpoint wrote:You will never get it, unfortunately when it comes to Turkey your thinking is flawed dont worry all GCs are raised that way, Turkey is happy because they have just gained another 4 months.


By just stating that Turkey is happy because they have just gained another 4 months doesn't help anyone get it. Never mind the GC's you have singled out.

Please tell us why Turkey is happy to have gained 4 months and what they going to do in these 4 months to avert a crisis with the EU in October?


Man havent they said enough? Merkel has them where exactly? if you really do not have any intention whatsoever to join who do you think is one up? thats why its smiles all round on the Turkish officials faces, all they have to do is keep the EU door open, after 4 mnoths it will be extended yet again...this is the EU we are talking about I dont call it the "toothless tiger" for nothing.
User avatar
Viewpoint
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 25211
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: Nicosia/Lefkosa

Re: Is this the end of Turkey's EU accession negotiations?

Postby Maximus » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:13 pm

Viewpoint wrote:
Maximus wrote:
Viewpoint wrote:You will never get it, unfortunately when it comes to Turkey your thinking is flawed dont worry all GCs are raised that way, Turkey is happy because they have just gained another 4 months.


By just stating that Turkey is happy because they have just gained another 4 months doesn't help anyone get it. Never mind the GC's you have singled out.

Please tell us why Turkey is happy to have gained 4 months and what they going to do in these 4 months to avert a crisis with the EU in October?


Man havent they said enough? Merkel has them where exactly? if you really do not have any intention whatsoever to join who do you think is one up? thats why its smiles all round on the Turkish officials faces, all they have to do is keep the EU door open, after 4 mnoths it will be extended yet again...this is the EU we are talking about I dont call it the "toothless tiger" for nothing.


Ok, so your saying that they are happy to have gained 4 months because come October, they will gain even more time so they can continue to pretend that they want to join the EU?

Do I get it now?
Maximus
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4274
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Cyprus and the European Union

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests