The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Greece vs Ivory Coast

Football, Basketball, F1 etc.

Re: Greece vs Ivory Coast

Postby Paphitis » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:01 pm

alexISS wrote:
Paphitis wrote:
alexISS wrote:Australia was ranked 50th in Jan 2003.

Go here
http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/rankingtable/

Select date and click "Search"


They were ranked 9th in November 2001.


Nope. 50th again


Sorry, it's highest FIFA ranking was 14th in 2009 and its highest ELO Ranking was 9th in 2001.

Both teams were world class. They had Kewell, Viduka, Bosnich, Zelic and I really don't know who else but there were some bad arse players. Kewell for instance was top scorer in the EPL for Leeds
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Greece vs Ivory Coast

Postby alexISS » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:04 pm

Paphitis wrote:
alexISS wrote:
Paphitis wrote:
alexISS wrote:Australia was ranked 50th in Jan 2003.

Go here
http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/rankingtable/

Select date and click "Search"


They were ranked 9th in November 2001.


Nope. 50th again


Sorry, it's highest FIFA ranking was 14th in 2009 and its highest ELO Ranking was 9th in 2001.


Not exactly. Its highest FIFA ranking was 14th in SEPTEMBER 2009 and went down to 24th in a month's time. Average position for 2009: 21st. Greece way above, even during Australia's peak. Again, hardly a superpower.
User avatar
alexISS
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1543
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:48 pm
Location: Athens, Greece

Re: Greece vs Ivory Coast

Postby Paphitis » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:07 pm

alexISS wrote:
Paphitis wrote:
alexISS wrote:
Paphitis wrote:
alexISS wrote:Australia was ranked 50th in Jan 2003.

Go here
http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/rankingtable/

Select date and click "Search"


They were ranked 9th in November 2001.


Nope. 50th again


Sorry, it's highest FIFA ranking was 14th in 2009 and its highest ELO Ranking was 9th in 2001.


Not exactly. Its highest FIFA ranking was 14th in SEPTEMBER 2009 and went down to 24th in a month's time. Average position for 2009: 21st.


It does't really matter AlexISS. Australia never gets its pro team for friendlies. During the period there was no player that actually played in Australia. They were all in Europe and the team was based in London. Their home ground was Upton Park. Most of the team played in the EPL, Bundesliga, Belgium, and Scotland.

They had another team for friendlies utilizing Australian based players. Point is AlexISS, that team was world class and could beat any European team on its day and did so often.

Effectively, there was an Australia A and Australia B squad.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Greece vs Ivory Coast

Postby alexISS » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:18 pm

Paphitis wrote:It does't really matter AlexISS. Australia never gets its pro team for friendlies. During the period there was no player that actually played in Australia. They were all in Europe and the team was based in London. Their home ground was Upton Park. Most of the team played in the EPL, Bundesliga, Belgium, and Scotland.

They had another team for friendlies utilizing Australian based players. Point is AlexISS, that team was world class and could beat any European team on its day and did so often.

Effectively, there was an Australia A and Australia B squad.


:shock:

I guess there's no point in debating. It was you who claimed those numbers and, when they were proven wrong, you countered with "It doesn't really matter"?
Fine, have a nice day :D
User avatar
alexISS
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1543
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:48 pm
Location: Athens, Greece

Re: Greece vs Ivory Coast

Postby Paphitis » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:23 pm

alexISS wrote:
Paphitis wrote:It does't really matter AlexISS. Australia never gets its pro team for friendlies. During the period there was no player that actually played in Australia. They were all in Europe and the team was based in London. Their home ground was Upton Park. Most of the team played in the EPL, Bundesliga, Belgium, and Scotland.

They had another team for friendlies utilizing Australian based players. Point is AlexISS, that team was world class and could beat any European team on its day and did so often.

Effectively, there was an Australia A and Australia B squad.


:shock:

I guess there's no point in debating. It was you who claimed those numbers and, when they were proven wrong, you countered with "It doesn't really matter"?
Fine, have a nice day :D


I'm not making it up.

The rankings are there for all to see. Australia has ranked highly but are probably volatile because of the fact that the first team was never available for all its games. For example., Australia could go to the Confederations Cup with the first team, beat Brazil (which actually happened) and then they could have a friendly with Croatia and lose 2 - 0 or worse actually lose to a lower ranked team with its B Squad.

Then, in those days, Australia would go for months without playing a game because the players would not be cleared by their respective clubs in the height of the European season. It would just slide by default.

Which is probably why FFA rankings don't really mean much for some countries like Australia. But despite the difficulties, they were actually ranked 9th by ELO and 14th by FIFA.

Have a nice day. :D
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Greece vs Ivory Coast

Postby Paphitis » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:40 pm

Here is a statistic some of you might find interesting.

Australia and Greece have played 9 times.

Each has 3 wins, and 3 draws. Both teams have scored 12 goals. Even Stevens. So nothing in it.

Here is a game to watch. A friendly just after Greece won the Euro at the MCG in front of 95000 spectators.

Excuse the German commentary. There were a lot of players in the German Bundeslige. So there would have been some interest in Germany.

There is a player in the team I was very fond of. Stan Lazarides was a lightning fast winger who I grew up with. This is one of his last games. He started playing in Perth, then for West Adelaide Hellas, which I also played for. He then moved onto AEK Athens and from there played for Birmingham. He was an exciting player to watch.

When West Adelaide Hellas went bankrupt, I never attended any Football matches since except on about 4 occasions. The last time was over 3 years ago. I was devastated. Lost interest.

User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Greece vs Ivory Coast

Postby Get Real! » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:54 pm

We interrupt this broadcast to announce an important message…

keep-calm-and-shag-sheep-41.png

:lol: :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40449
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Greece vs Ivory Coast

Postby Paphitis » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:04 pm

Get Real! wrote:We interrupt this broadcast to announce an important message…

keep-calm-and-shag-sheep-41.png

:lol: :lol: :lol:


As long as the sheep shaggers play for their shirt, I am happy. They did and the should be happy with themselves because they produced some excellent football.

They can only try after all. They are not as good as Cyprus so I concede. You win!
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Greece vs Ivory Coast

Postby zan » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:22 pm

Paphitis wrote:
Get Real! wrote:We interrupt this broadcast to announce an important message…

keep-calm-and-shag-sheep-41.png

:lol: :lol: :lol:


As long as the sheep shaggers play for their shirt, I am happy. They did and the should be happy with themselves because they produced some excellent football.

They can only try after all. They are not as good as Cyprus so I concede. You win!


Thank f#~*k for that :lol:
User avatar
zan
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16213
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:55 pm

Re: Greece vs Ivory Coast

Postby kurupetos » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:50 pm

Paphitis wrote:
kurupetos wrote:
Paphitis wrote:
kurupetos wrote:
Paphitis wrote:
In 2010, they should have got to the QF. The referee gave Italy a bogus penalty that was not a penalty!

Paphitis we fucked you. :twisted:


You fucked yourself!

The cock is in your ass, bitch! :lol:


Very bright and mature of you!

So tell me, how pleased are you that Australia lost 3 games with its mainly u21 team? Are you happy that these kids lost.

They got their youth on their side. They came, they saw, they will go on, and most of all they will fight for the shirt that is on their back! 8)

You will lose again and again and again, you incompetent suckeroos. :mrgreen:
User avatar
kurupetos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 17912
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Cyprus

PreviousNext

Return to Sports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests