The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Sweet Cyprus: the Island of Love and Romance.

Feel free to talk about anything that you want.

Sweet Cyprus: the Island of Love and Romance.

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:23 pm

Aaahhh - how much more romantic can you get than to hijack a plane and force it to fly to your loved one in Cyprus! :D

Seriously hope this ends well for everyone (unlikely?) because the road to true love can be rocky.

.... the hijacking is connected to a woman, believed to be his estranged wife, who has reportedly arrived at the airport. The man is believed to have thrown a letter to her from the plane.


http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2 ... yprus-live

Nevertheless, when are Egyptian airports going to toughen up on body-searches?
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8957
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Re: Sweet Cyprus: the Island of Love and Romance.

Postby Linichka » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:45 pm

Probably at the same time they opt to stop waving people through altogether for a little baksheesh, GIG.
In other words - when lobsters whistle.
Linichka
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 573
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:45 pm

Re: Sweet Cyprus: the Island of Love and Romance.

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:51 pm

Linichka wrote:Probably at the same time they opt to stop waving people through altogether for a little baksheesh, GIG.
In other words - when lobsters whistle.


The Egyptian authorities were blaming the Saudis as the plane was in transit having left Saudi Arabia.

Regardless, now it seems he had no explosives so no one is to blame but love. :D
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8957
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Re: Sweet Cyprus: the Island of Love and Romance.

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:54 pm

All's well that ends well and very well done to the Cypriot negotiators for another peaceful and safe outcome! :D

- I see the ice-cold impotent British media has gone into hyper-meltdown on hearing a satirical comment by President Anastasiades who dared to mention the involvement of 'a woman'. :lol:


Well done our President. 8)
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8957
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Re: Sweet Cyprus: the Island of Love and Romance.

Postby Sotos » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:27 pm

Fortunately this didn't end up like the last time:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_ ... al_Airport
User avatar
Sotos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10685
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:50 am

Re: Sweet Cyprus: the Island of Love and Romance.

Postby supporttheunderdog » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:38 pm

Sotos wrote:Fortunately this didn't end up like the last time:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_ ... al_Airport


Indeed.very well done to the negotiators and all involved.
User avatar
supporttheunderdog
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8201
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:03 pm
Location: limassol

Re: Sweet Cyprus: the Island of Love and Romance.

Postby supporttheunderdog » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:59 pm

GreekIslandGirl wrote:All's well that ends well and very well done to the Cypriot negotiators for another peaceful and safe outcome! :D

- I see the ice-cold impotent British media has gone into hyper-meltdown on hearing a satirical comment by President Anastasiades who dared to mention the involvement of 'a woman'. :lol:


Well done our President. 8)


Can you provide some links to the British media in hyper melt down? I so love a good laugh but apart from one item in Metro, alleging outrage, while the alleged satirical remark has been quoted from a brief review while working it so far seems to have attracted little comment...
User avatar
supporttheunderdog
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8201
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:03 pm
Location: limassol

Re: Sweet Cyprus: the Island of Love and Romance.

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:17 pm

Sotos wrote:Fortunately this didn't end up like the last time:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_ ... al_Airport


It was more like this Turkish Airlines one:

Turkish Airlines Flight 1476 (TK1476)[2] was a Turkish Airlines flight that was hijacked by Hakan Ekinci in Greek airspace on October 3, 2006. Ekinci wanted to go to Rome to speak with the Pope, but Greek and Italian F-16 Fighting Falcon jets intercepted and escorted the aircraft until it landed in Brindisi, Italy. Nobody was harmed, and Ekinci was jailed in Italy while awaiting trial. At first, the hijacking incident was linked with the envisaged visit of Pope Benedict XVI to Turkey, but later it was ascertained that Ekinci was seeking to request political asylum from Italy. On October 4, a Turkish Airlines plane was sent to take the passengers back to Istanbul.
wiki
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8957
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Re: Sweet Cyprus: the Island of Love and Romance.

Postby GreekIslandGirl » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:23 pm

supporttheunderdog wrote:
GreekIslandGirl wrote:All's well that ends well and very well done to the Cypriot negotiators for another peaceful and safe outcome! :D

- I see the ice-cold impotent British media has gone into hyper-meltdown on hearing a satirical comment by President Anastasiades who dared to mention the involvement of 'a woman'. :lol:


Well done our President. 8)


Can you provide some links to the British media in hyper melt down? I so love a good laugh but apart from one item in Metro, alleging outrage, while the alleged satirical remark has been quoted from a brief review while working it so far seems to have attracted little comment...


Oh did the Metro have something too?

People are upset about the Cypriot president’s comments about women


Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2016/03/29/people-ar ... z44IpjdMMm

That about sums up the attitude at the time it was ongoing but they probably feel foolish now.

I listened to the BBC trying to stir it up as *inappropriate* (quoted media, 'casual sexism' etc) until later the lovely lady from the Egyptian Foreign Office put them in their place clarifying that Egyptians love a bit of satire and they didn't think it was an inappropriate remark. She seems to have shut them up. :P
User avatar
GreekIslandGirl
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8957
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 am

Re: Sweet Cyprus: the Island of Love and Romance.

Postby kurupetos » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:47 pm

Sotos wrote:Fortunately this didn't end up like the last time:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_ ... al_Airport

Unfortunately... no fun this time. :cry:
User avatar
kurupetos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 17936
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Cyprus

Next

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest