The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


What if ....

Feel free to talk about anything that you want.

Best if Cyprus was returned to the Hellenic Nation to avoid refugees created in 1974.


Note: Your vote in this poll is NOT confidential. Your username will be displayed under the option(s) you select

Yes, that's the most merciful overall solution.
4
80%
 
GreekIslandGirl, kurupetos, Schnauzer, Sotos
No, the Turks deserve a piece of Cyprus.
0
No votes
 
No, the Brits should have kept all of Cyprus.
1
20%
 
Paphitis
 
Total votes : 5

Re: What if ....

Postby Paphitis » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:51 am

Maximus wrote:
Paphitis wrote:
Maximus wrote:what are you talking about?


You know what i am talking about.

We are talking about ENOSIS and Cyprus and the popular insinuation that 80% can force their will on 20% on something like this.

the other option is to forget that shit about the 80% Vs 20% because there are no winners there.


It goes round in riddles,

Meanwhile in the UK 52% voted to leave the EU and the other 48% have to respect it.

Its part of something called democracy.

What you might as well do next is suggesting that the TC should have a veto and Turkish gaurantees so the 80% cant pass their will.

Is that how it works in Australia with the aborigines :lol:


What the hell are you on about.

There are only 200,000 Aborigines in Australia.

There are more Cypriots in Australia than Aboriginals. There are about 900,000 Greeks, most of which are in Melbourne.

Oh and one more thing. Why are the Greeks of Australia so wealthy and extremely entrepreneurial?

Greeks in Australia are among the wealthiest. Everyone drives a $100K mercedes of BMW, and has shops and about 5 rentals. Why? How come they could do that in Australia but not Greece?

because Greece is a basket case. Not because Greeks are lazy.

Everytone is on the take in Greece, and they can't get in their thicvk heads that the state can't afford it. They seem to hold on to the Ottoman ways.
Last edited by Paphitis on Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: What if ....

Postby Paphitis » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:53 am

kurupetos wrote:
Cap wrote:
Paphitis wrote:
Sotos wrote:There should have been a referendum to let the Cypriot people democratically decide what they want for their own island. It is clear that if that was done the overwhelming majority would have voted for union with Greece while any alternatives were not a result of the will of Cypriots but a result of force and blackmail by the Turks and the British who wanted pieces of Cyprus for their own interests.


most people were illiterate back in the day as opposed to 2016.

So what gives them the right to be making such decisions and condemning us to a basket case?

Hold the referendum today and the result would be different. I put it down to education.


Absolutely nailed it there Paphitis.
Amazing how many Cyps I talk to thank their lucky stars we never reached enosis.
They actually ADMIT it.

Why? Greece would have been a superpower if she had Cyprus.

You two are too naïve and simpleton to understand strategic depth... :roll:


Yeh I have heard the argument that the Brits didn't want ENOSIS because Greece would become some-kind of superpower.

look, Greece is a basket case. It certainly is no superpower but just a basket case with population 11 million. With Cyprus, population of 12 million.

Still no superpower but still a basket case.

Delusional to believe that Greece is some-kind of superpower. Sorry.

You would have killed the Brits with laughter just by suggesting it.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: What if ....

Postby Paphitis » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:05 am

miltiades wrote:As far as the British are concerned, democracy is not an automatic right for all nations, only those nations that the Brits consider to be worthy off. David Cameron the ex PM, on the anniversary of the Falklands war said: We shall defend the right of the people of the Falklands to determine their own destiny !!!

As much as I support an independent Cyprus I still believe in democracy, I opposed brexit, I still do, but the majority spoke, in a democracy the wishes of the majority, as stupid as they may be, has to be respected.

The Cypriot people had every right to demand whatever the vast majority aspired for. The British rejected their wishes but went to war with Argentine over the Maldives , Falkland islands, because the Brits believe in ..... selective democracy. :lol: :lol:


The Falklands has absolutely zero strategic importance to Britain. Unless you consider it as a base for Antarctic Expeditions that is.

And the Brits and French use Tasmania for that anyway. So no importance.

However, the inhabitants of the Falklands don't want to be a part of Argentina. They are pretty adamant about that. They prefer to stay with Britain.

Which means, they probably have a brain too...Who in their right mind would want to join Argentina? It's like Cyprus wanting to join Greece! Oh wait....
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: What if ....

Postby Get Real! » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:15 am

Paphitis wrote:There are only 200,000 Aborigines in Australia.

Naughty wallaby... there are 670,000 odd.
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40430
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: What if ....

Postby Paphitis » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:32 am

Get Real! wrote:
Paphitis wrote:There are only 200,000 Aborigines in Australia.

Naughty wallaby... there are 670,000 odd.


no there not.

ABS says there are...

The Australian Bureau of Statistics estimated the total resident Indigenous population to be 458,520 in June 2001 (2.4% of Australia's total), 90% of whom identified as Aboriginal, 6% Torres Strait Islander and the remaining 4% being of dual Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander parentage.


About 2%

And only about 40,000 full blooded Aboriginals. Some are so diluted, they look white and European now.

And the way the ABS census is conducted, anyone can tick the Aboriginal and Torres straight Islander box. many do because you get better welfare, and even businesses are encouraged to give Aboriginals preferential treatment. So if you claim Aboriginality, in theory you have an advantage in gaining employment in theory because Corporations must report how many Aborigines they have employed to the social inclusion Minister. So you have all sorts claiming ity even if they are 1/20 Aboriginal.

There are nearly more cypriots, certainly more Greeks in Australia than Aboriginals.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: What if ....

Postby Get Real! » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:46 am

Paphitis wrote:
Get Real! wrote:
Paphitis wrote:There are only 200,000 Aborigines in Australia.

Naughty wallaby... there are 670,000 odd.

no there not.

ABS says there are...

The Australian Bureau of Statistics estimated the total resident Indigenous population to be 458,520 in June 2001 (2.4% of Australia's total), 90% of whom identified as Aboriginal, 6% Torres Strait Islander and the remaining 4% being of dual Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander parentage.


Outdated baloney... no wonder you're getting everything wrong on all fronts! :lol:

ESTIMATES OF ABORIGINAL AND TORRES STRAIT ISLANDER AUSTRALIANS

The final estimated resident Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander population of Australia as at 30 June 2011 was 669,900 people, or 3% of the total Australian population.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf ... 8.0.55.001

NB: And that was 5 years ago btw... they're probably past 700,00 by now.
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40430
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: What if ....

Postby Paphitis » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:45 am

Get Real! wrote:
Paphitis wrote:
Get Real! wrote:
Paphitis wrote:There are only 200,000 Aborigines in Australia.

Naughty wallaby... there are 670,000 odd.

no there not.

ABS says there are...

The Australian Bureau of Statistics estimated the total resident Indigenous population to be 458,520 in June 2001 (2.4% of Australia's total), 90% of whom identified as Aboriginal, 6% Torres Strait Islander and the remaining 4% being of dual Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander parentage.


Outdated baloney... no wonder you're getting everything wrong on all fronts! :lol:

ESTIMATES OF ABORIGINAL AND TORRES STRAIT ISLANDER AUSTRALIANS

The final estimated resident Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander population of Australia as at 30 June 2011 was 669,900 people, or 3% of the total Australian population.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf ... 8.0.55.001

NB: And that was 5 years ago btw... they're probably past 700,00 by now.


my number was the 2001 ABS estimate. That is the estimate of Aboriginals and taking into consideration of their birth rate from the previous census. So ABS is providing 2 statistics. What does that tell you? it tells me that the statistics are bogus.

now tell us Einstein, how on earth did they multiply by 200,000 (50%) in 2 years?

because I could claim Aboriginality if I wanted to under Australian Law but can't claim indigenous apparently. It's because you have people with a Great great great Grand father who happened to be Aboriginal claiming it. And yet there are only 40,000 real Aboriginals, the rest is a scam.

ABS statistics also claim there are only 150,000 Greeks in Australia. the fact is, there are 350,000 in Melbourne alone and the figure is closer to 900,000. The falsehood is because Greeks are ticking Australian as their heritage. in a couple of years, they will be ticking Aboriginal. :lol:

And another thing, Aboriginality is something which is fading. Fact is, in a 100 years, they will all look Irish and drinking Guinness! :lol:

Oh and let's not forget that 70,000 Australians identify as Jedi. that's because they tick "other" on their religion and write in Jedi (as in Star wars)! true Story! :lol:

Australia. In Australia more than 70,000 people (0.37%) declared themselves members of the Jedi order in the 2001 census. The Australian Bureau of Statistics issued an official press release in response to media interest on the subject.
(SOURCE ABS)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

fact of the matter is this. australians don't take the ABS seriously and see it as an invasion of privacy. So they friggin bullshit when answering it and even make false claims of this that or the other.

last Census, over 1 million households refused to fill it is, making them liable to fines.

and there are mechanisms at least as far as the population is concerned, that anyone can identify as Aboriginal if they want to.

http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/ ... 03/03Cib10

there are even tasmanians claiming Aboriginality when in actual fact, Aborigines in Tasmania were wiped out and are extinct.

The indigenous-identifying population in the intervals between the last four censuses (1986, 1991, 1996 and 2001) has consistently risen at a rate far exceeding that of the total population and far exceeding that expected from natural increase (indeed, over this period the fertility-rate of Indigenous women has actually been falling).


http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/ ... 03/03Cib10
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: What if ....

Postby umit07 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:21 am

I'd agree with Paphitis on this one. If Cyprus had to become annexed/split between one of the respective "motherlands", I would prefer that it stayed a British protectorate.

Regarding the strife for Hellenism, I think the article below by Nicos Rolandis sums it all up quite well.

CYPRUS, BELOVED SMYRNI AND OTHER LOST MOTHERLANDS, BELOVED
Until when will Hellenism pay for its own blunders

http://rolandis.com/#/articles_en


http://in-cyprus.com/beloved-smyrni-and-other-lost-motherlands/
User avatar
umit07
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: What if ....

Postby Maximus » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:55 am

Paphitis wrote:
Maximus wrote:
Paphitis wrote:
Maximus wrote:what are you talking about?


You know what i am talking about.

We are talking about ENOSIS and Cyprus and the popular insinuation that 80% can force their will on 20% on something like this.

the other option is to forget that shit about the 80% Vs 20% because there are no winners there.


It goes round in riddles,

Meanwhile in the UK 52% voted to leave the EU and the other 48% have to respect it.

Its part of something called democracy.

What you might as well do next is suggesting that the TC should have a veto and Turkish gaurantees so the 80% cant pass their will.

Is that how it works in Australia with the aborigines :lol:


What the hell are you on about.

There are only 200,000 Aborigines in Australia.

There are more Cypriots in Australia than Aboriginals. There are about 900,000 Greeks, most of which are in Melbourne.

Oh and one more thing. Why are the Greeks of Australia so wealthy and extremely entrepreneurial?

Greeks in Australia are among the wealthiest. Everyone drives a $100K mercedes of BMW, and has shops and about 5 rentals. Why? How come they could do that in Australia but not Greece?

because Greece is a basket case. Not because Greeks are lazy.

Everytone is on the take in Greece, and they can't get in their thicvk heads that the state can't afford it. They seem to hold on to the Ottoman ways.



What the hell am I on about? What in the devils name are you talking about?

The point is not how many aborigines there are but how you insinuate that 20% (or less, in the case of the aborigines) of a population can reject the will of the majority. I simply asked is this how things work in Australia? The answer is obviously no. The aborigines go with the populations consensus don't they? as a matter of fact, once upon a time they got butchered by the immigrants and colonialists didn't they.

How you got to the "lazy" Greeks and Greece from here is well beyond me. :?
Maximus
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4274
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: What if ....

Postby Paphitis » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:59 am

Maximus wrote:
Paphitis wrote:
Maximus wrote:
Paphitis wrote:
Maximus wrote:what are you talking about?


You know what i am talking about.

We are talking about ENOSIS and Cyprus and the popular insinuation that 80% can force their will on 20% on something like this.

the other option is to forget that shit about the 80% Vs 20% because there are no winners there.


It goes round in riddles,

Meanwhile in the UK 52% voted to leave the EU and the other 48% have to respect it.

Its part of something called democracy.

What you might as well do next is suggesting that the TC should have a veto and Turkish gaurantees so the 80% cant pass their will.

Is that how it works in Australia with the aborigines :lol:


What the hell are you on about.

There are only 200,000 Aborigines in Australia.

There are more Cypriots in Australia than Aboriginals. There are about 900,000 Greeks, most of which are in Melbourne.

Oh and one more thing. Why are the Greeks of Australia so wealthy and extremely entrepreneurial?

Greeks in Australia are among the wealthiest. Everyone drives a $100K mercedes of BMW, and has shops and about 5 rentals. Why? How come they could do that in Australia but not Greece?

because Greece is a basket case. Not because Greeks are lazy.

Everytone is on the take in Greece, and they can't get in their thicvk heads that the state can't afford it. They seem to hold on to the Ottoman ways.



What the hell am I on about? What in the devils name are you talking about?

The point is not how many aborigines there are but how you insinuate that 20% (or less, in the case of the aborigines) of a population can reject the will of the majority. I simply asked is this how things work in Australia? The answer is obviously no. The aborigines go with the populations consensus don't they? as a matter of fact, once upon a time they got butchered by the immigrants and colonialists didn't they.

How you got to the "lazy" Greeks and Greece from here is well beyond me. :?


we aren't talking about 2.4% of the population which even they have rights. More rights than the 97.6% as matter of fact.

We are talking about 20% of the population. 1 in 5 people would be against it 100% not to mention all the GCs that would be against it too.

The Aborigines are on the gravy train!

it's not a simple thing for a consensus for doing something as drastic as dissolving the Constitution or declaring ENOSIS. It's friggin impossible whether the majority want it or not.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 20971
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests