The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content

ECHR: CASE OF SOLOMOU v. TURKEY

How can we solve it? (keep it civilized)

Postby GAVCARoCOM » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:13 pm

and millions here . Where is courts ???????????

GAVCARoCOM
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Magnus » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:27 pm

I'm sorry but I don't understand your argument. Can you please explain?

Are you saying that because this has happened before and still happens now that it was acceptable in the Solomou case? Or are you saying that Turkey has been victimised because they've been forced to accept some sort of responsibility for their actions?

Also, can you please point me to the part where 'ministers' take pictures and join in the shootings in any of the videos you have posted, rather than try and ease the situation like any responsible leader should.
Magnus
Contributor
Contributor

Postby GAVCARoCOM » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:36 pm

Magnus wrote:I'm sorry but I don't understand your argument. Can you please explain?

Are you saying that because this has happened before and still happens now that it was acceptable in the Solomou case? Or are you saying that Turkey has been victimised because they've been forced to accept some sort of responsibility for their actions?

Also, can you please point me to the part where 'ministers' take pictures and join in the shootings in any of the videos you have posted, rather than try and ease the situation like any responsible leader should.

here is the leader who makes fun out of it

GAVCARoCOM
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Magnus » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:47 pm

So Denktash and his friends who were present when Solomou was shot (and actually shot at him themselves) are excused of all responsibility because G.W. Bush is an utter moron who makes tasteless jokes at a dinner party nowhere near the front line? That's your argument?

Oh, and because America and other countries carry out atrocities all over the world then Turkey should be allowed to do so too without any consequences? Don't you think it would be better if nobody was allowed to do these things?

Please stop acting like Turkey is the victim here. Just accept that they were wrong, the courts have ruled against them and they are going to pay.
Last edited by Magnus on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magnus
Contributor
Contributor

Postby GAVCARoCOM » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:54 pm

all humans are wrong . all . All alive animals have killing sense but some of humans controlling that feeling. its nothing to do with nations.
Papadopulus EOKA = "Best Turk is Dead Turk" he is gone
Denktash = he is gone
Bush = he is going soon
some improvement from people . u can judge the nations of course
GAVCARoCOM
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Kikapu » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:17 pm

Kikapu wrote:
tessintrnc wrote:Mad with grief, or just plain mad - he should not have been killed like that. Maybe there will be a fine to pay.
What price a mans life? Its very sad.

Why don't you ask that question to VP Tess.??

I'm sure VP will tell you "he is not worth no amount of money, because he chose to walk into a "burning building" therefore it is all his fault. In fact, the victim's parents should reimburse the "trnc" for the cost of 5 bullets that was wasted on their son.

You know Tess, it is customary to douse a burning building with water to try and save lives, but VP prefers to douse it with Petrol, just to make sure no one comes out alive.

Now that you have got me going on this subject (not your fault Tess), I really have few questions about the murder of this defenseless person on the flag pole.

The court findings revealed, that the murdered victim had 5 bullets in him. Lets examine the situation for a minute. In order for the victim to have received 5 bullets while still on the flag pole, he would have had to have been executed as in a firing squad type of shooting in order for all 5 bullets to reach the victim while he was on the flag pole, no more than few feet off the ground. Otherwise, if shots were fired at random at different times, the victim would have dropped from the flag pole like a "sack of potatoes" with the help of gravity after the first bullet hit him. So the question comes to mind then, were the other 4 bullets struck him while on the ground while bleeding from the first bullet, and no longer posing any danger to the sacred Turkish flag to be torn down.

So the question is, was he executed by a firing squad while he was on the flag pole, or shot like a dog on the ground after the first bullet threw him to the ground. My guess is, it was the latter, hence the fact the "minister" referring to the victim as a DOG.

I like some comments on this on how you think the whole event took place. Logic tells me, there could have been only two possibilities, as I've described them above.

Perhaps VP has a 3rd possibility, that he can tell us.?

I'm still waiting for an explanation on how the 5 bullets were fired.!!!
Kikapu
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Postby GAVCARoCOM » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:25 pm

the answer is up there . read it .
GAVCARoCOM
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Damsi » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:43 pm

I don't know why what happened to Solomou is being refuted at all. The facts are irrefutable and are there for anyone to read for themselves what exactly happened.

From the ECHR judgement

While he was approximately three metres up the pole he was hit by five shots fired by at least three persons from the Turkish side and was fatally injured. He died almost instantly. The Turkish forces then opened fire in an indiscriminate manner, wounding two members of UNFICYP, a civilian in the buffer zone and a civilian who was standing behind the Cypriot Government's ceasefire line.

As to the identity of the perpetrators, the evidence pointed, in particular, to three persons: a man in civilian clothes who fired from the balcony of the Turkish observation post; a man in uniform standing near the Turkish check point; and a third man in Turkish uniform who fired from a distance of approximately 10 metres.

UN witnesses

1. “He started to climb the flagpole with the Turkish [flag] on it. I then saw a Turkish soldier with a pistol fire shots, maybe two towards this man. I saw blood spurt from this man's neck and he slumped on the pole and fell to the ground. There was a burst of firing as this man fell to the ground and I saw two other Turkish soldiers firing rifles. I was 10 to 15 metres approximately from the shooting. I then took cover and remained on the ground till the shooting stopped.

2. I saw the male climb about three metres up the flagpole when I noticed a Turkish Army officer remove his pistol and commence shooting towards the male person on the flagpole. This Turkish officer was standing in the middle of the road facing in a southerly direction about 30 metres distance from the buffer zone barrier. I then saw two other Turkish army soldiers step out of some bushes on the western side of the barrier, about 25 metres away, and started firing their rifles in the direction of the male person on the flagpole. At this stage I saw an amount of blood appear on the male person's neck just below the jaw line on the left hand side. The male then appeared to slide back down the flagpole onto the ground. I remember seeing the Turkish army officer who had fired his pistol running off into some bushes on the eastern side. At this stage, myself and other UN personnel immediately lay down on the ground. I believe I heard continual gunfire for a period of between 10 and 15 seconds and on several occasions, heard bullets passing over my head. At no time did I hear bullets being fired from the direction of the Greek-Cypriot demonstrators, nor did I see any of the demonstrators with firearms.

3. I saw a Turkish forces soldier approach from bushes further to the north and walk to a position about 10 metres from the flagpole. I saw he was carrying a firearm, which appeared to be some form of assault rifle. I saw him drop to one knee and raise his rifle to his right shoulder. I heard two spaced shots as this was happening. At this point the demonstrator had begun to climb up the flagpole and I had a clear view of him as he climbed higher. He did not appear to react to the first two shots as he continued to climb. I then heard a third shot and saw the demonstrator fall from the flagpole to the ground. I turned away at this point to look for some cover to move to. As I did this I heard a volley of rapid fire shots and I moved a few steps away from the firing line to a depression in the ground where I sought cover

One photograph showed Mr Solomou starting to climb the pole and with one foot still on the ground. A man in Turkish uniform (Mr Erdal Emanet, who was the Commander of the Special Forces of the Turkish-Cypriot police) was aiming his pistol at him. Other photographs and extracts from the videotape showed Mr Emanet levelling his pistol, cocking it and aiming it at Mr Solomou. Another man in civilian clothes (Mr Kenan Akin) was on the balcony of the Turkish observation post and had not yet drawn a weapon. In another picture, Mr Solomou had climbed about one metre up the flagpole and Mr Akin was aiming a pistol directly at him. The videotape showed a uniformed soldier, whose identity was not established, shooting directly at Mr Solomou with an automatic weapon (a rifle).

The Court said:
The parties disagreed as to the origin of the five bullets which hit Solomos Solomou and caused his death. According to the applicants and the third-party intervener, these bullets were fired by two men in Turkish uniform and by another man in civilian clothes who was on the balcony of the Turkish observation post (see paragraphs 14 and 31-32 above). On the contrary, the respondent Government alleged that Mr Solomou had been the victim of the crossfire which had broken out when the Greek-Cypriot demonstration developed into a riot (see paragraph 21 (k) and (l) above).

71. The Court is unable to accept the respondent Government's version of the facts on this point. It observes, first, that it is contradicted by the witnesses' statements produced by the applicants (see paragraphs 16-20 above). None of the members of UNFICYP who testified about the events of 14 August 1996 mentioned the existence of a crossfire before the shooting of Mr Solomou. On the contrary, Lance Bombardier Sanders, Garda O'Reilly, Acting Station Sergeant Hayward and Garda Brennan clearly stated that, from different positions, two soldiers in Turkish uniform and a man in civilian clothes standing on the balcony of the Turkish observation post had aimed their weapons at Solomos Solomou and had fired in his direction while he was climbing the flagpole
Damsi

Postby repulsewarrior » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:20 am

Turks in bushes, Turks on the balcony, shots from three directions, civilians with handguns, no show (riot police?) of force in numbers, others injured after the fact by indisciminate shooting, sounds like Turks were prepared for the demonstration in a manner which could only provoke a riot, that could end only with a death.

Turkey denies, Turkey ignores their own lack of discipline, Turkey learns nothing from the incident and allows their "image" to tarnish. Turkey's reform is in stagnation and it is strangling their ability to become a Global partner. Without the investigation (or Justice), the Army and the State demonstrate an inability to expose incompetance (and/or Criminal behaviour), toward their own betterment. For Turkish citizens, this is important.
repulsewarrior
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Postby Big Al » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:56 am

this man entered the TRNC illegally, he was acting in a provocative manner, knew his life was in danger if he crossed into the TRNC. Since he knew what he was doing (ie he was sound of mind) and he knew the risks he deserves what he got. PS it was Tansu Ciller that said anyone laying a hand on the Turkish flag will have their hands cut off and it still stands.
Big Al
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Cyprus Problem