The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content

Weekly Honour Killings in Istanbul .....

Everything related to politics in Cyprus and the rest of the world.

Postby denizaksulu » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:55 pm

Oracle wrote:
denizaksulu wrote:Thank God we are not the same people as those that carry out honour killing. How primordial can one get. It is not a Kurdish issue alone. We know that. Why deny it. Bloody savages. :twisted:

It's a human tragedy ... :( ... bullying taken to the worst extreme.

BTW the Channel 4 production is at 7:35 pm tonight.

I will not be able to keep my wife away from it.

Me too. Poor souls.

I trust your concerns are genuine then? :lol:
denizaksulu
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Weekly Honour Killings in Istanbul .....

Postby Tim Drayton » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:02 pm

Oracle wrote:Channel 4 (Unreported World) is airing a documentary into the rising crisis of Honour Killings in Turkey, Friday 27th March, 7:30pm

Ending up in Istanbul, the team finds that even the most modernised city in Turkey hasn't escaped the tradition. According to a government report, it now has one of the highest levels of honour killings in the country, with one happening every week. The Government has condemned honour killings and launched a commission with the aim of reducing them. Yet, in the three weeks the Unreported World team is in the country, they see twelve cases reported in the press as the murders continue unabated.

http://www.stophonourkillings.com/?name ... e&sid=3469

Even so, this phenomenon occurs in communities of migrants from specific regions of Turkey living in Istanbul; so called "old Istanbul" families do not practice honour killings.
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Postby runaway » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:17 pm

Tim Drayton wrote:
migrants from specific regions of Turkey living in Istanbul; so called "old Istanbul" families do not practice honour killings.

Southeast Anatolia and guess who these people are? :twisted:
runaway
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Oracle » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:47 pm

runaway wrote:
Tim Drayton wrote:
migrants from specific regions of Turkey living in Istanbul; so called "old Istanbul" families do not practice honour killings.

Thread starter woman is an ignorant bitch IMHO.

.... I wonder if this is the kind of misogynistic undercurrent, which prevails amongst those who practice this form of female-directed bullying :?
Oracle
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Postby Tim Drayton » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:55 pm

runaway wrote:
Tim Drayton wrote:

The province that first springs to my mind in this context is Urfa, and Kurds make up a small percentage of the population here. The practice deserves to be condemned regardless of who commits it.
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Postby Oracle » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:57 pm

denizaksulu wrote:
Oracle wrote:
denizaksulu wrote:Thank God we are not the same people as those that carry out honour killing. How primordial can one get. It is not a Kurdish issue alone. We know that. Why deny it. Bloody savages. :twisted:

It's a human tragedy ... :( ... bullying taken to the worst extreme.

BTW the Channel 4 production is at 7:35 pm tonight.

I will not be able to keep my wife away from it.

Me too. Poor souls.

I trust your concerns are genuine then? :lol:

I've stated before that I do not take lightly, the forces which oppress women.

The fact this is happening in Turkey is the reason I present this subject here ... because Turkey is the enemy of my country; the purveyor of evil, uncivilised habits which we are powerless to prevent from being introduced into our world via the occupation and colonisation processes undertaken by Turkey in Cyprus.

That the EU has to take serious measures to stop Turkey introducing more of its people and habits into Cyprus ... is the reason this has to be discussed openly.
Oracle
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Postby runaway » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:11 pm

Tim Drayton wrote:The province that first springs to my mind in this context is Urfa, and Kurds make up a small percentage of the population here..

Tim Drayton are you a creature from Mars? Kurds make up a small % of people there ? Yeah right and Albanians live in Bitlis and Macedonians in Muş. :lol:
runaway
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby denizaksulu » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:13 pm

Oracle wrote:
runaway wrote:
Tim Drayton wrote:

.... I wonder if this is the kind of misogynistic undercurrent, which prevails amongst those who practice this form of female-directed bullying :?

Ignore him. I know it is impossible . A typical foreigner. He shows his 'superiority' indeed. Racist to boot.
denizaksulu
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Tim Drayton » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:21 pm

runaway wrote:
Tim Drayton wrote:The province that first springs to my mind in this context is Urfa, and Kurds make up a small percentage of the population here..

Tim Drayton are you a creature from Mars? Kurds make up a small % of people there ? Yeah right and Albanians live in Bitlis and Macedonians in Muş. :lol:

According to Widepedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%9Eanl%C4%B1urfa

The urban population of Urfa is mainly Kurdish while the outlying regions are mixed Arabian and Turkish and to a lesser degree Zaza, Yezid, Armenian and Jewish.

I do not personally think of Urfa as being a predominantly Kurdish province, but I could be wrong. There are no reliable statistics anyway, because official censuses in Turkey do not report what Erdoğan has termed "subordinate identities". The real point that I am trying to make is that the phenomenon of honour killings in Turkey is very geographically specific. It is not something you associate with places like Muş, Bingöl or Bitlis, although these are largely Kurdish provinces. These are just the impressions I have gained and you should know better than me, obviously, because you are Turkish.
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Postby runaway » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:54 pm

denizaksulu wrote:
Oracle wrote:
runaway wrote:
Tim Drayton wrote:

Ignore him. I know it is impossible . A typical foreigner. He shows his 'superiority' indeed. Racist to boot.

The GC yalaka loves to kiss GC ass.
runaway
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Elections