The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


University of Cyprus establishes medical school.

Anything related to the Internet, computers and technology in general.

Re: University of Cyprus establishes medical school.

Postby miltiades » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:20 am

It was in August last year when I noticed ,intermittently , blood in my urine. Not being the worrying time I ignored it untill my urine turned to blood daily. I telephoned my doctor, a wonderful man and a caring doctor, ordered me to attend hospital immediately. I went to the Limassol GH and on been given a thorough examination I was informed that I had a polyp in my cyst. Further tests showed that the polyp was malignant. Was admitted a little later and underwent an operation. All went well and 5 days later was discharged. I was exceedingly pleased and rather taken aback by the superb care I received.
A year later, September this year I was diagnosed with a cancerous ulcer Im my stomach. The entire procedure was absolutely superb. 3 fifths of my stomach were removed and now 3 months later Im in perfect health, again thanks to the doctors, Δοξασει οι γιατροί. I have had extensive experience of UK hospitals and I must say the Limassol GH, as well as the Germanico cancer hospital and the Meditteranean are far
more efficient and caring than the UK hospitals.
I now have had two major operations here in Cyprus and although in general a highly critical man I'm full of praise for these 3 hospitals.
User avatar
miltiades
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 19831
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:01 pm

Re: University of Cyprus establishes medical school.

Postby repulsewarrior » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:46 pm

Get Real! wrote:
Lordo wrote:GC Doctors are respected by the TC community.

Maybe they’re better than their counterparts on the other side of the roadblock, but that doesn’t make them good on the international scale.

Overall I’m quite disappointed with the medicare that is available here in the RoC, and my wife and I rather concerned have started having chats about our options as we gradually get older and move into another phase of life where medicare takes on a more prominent role.

I know lots of people who are coming and going to private doctors and the hospitals here including ourselves, but are any of them actually getting cured? It seems to me like a never-ending string of visits that lead to nothing!

Milti, often expresses his appreciation of the care he receives in medical places he’s stayed at on the island... but the nurses and hospital beds and the food and all that is not what I’m complaining about... it’s just that we don’t have true scientists here in Cyprus; you know those studious, nerdy, meticulous, brains that take it very personal when they can’t find the cure and only use that as a measure of their success etc.

All we’ve got here is a bunch of schmucks who’ll keep prescribing everything they can think of until they get it right, if ever… and that to me is NOT science!


Your plaint is with Doctors in general. Cypriots are no different to anyone else. Like in any profession, good doctors (as opposed to normal,) are rare and harder to find. Bad doctors do not seem so rare what with the harm they bring to so many.

...as for analytical minds, i don't doubt that Cypriots have their fair share. The quality of patients is also important, some require (read: seek) treatment that seem less science based, not Hospital care, like aroma therapy, or acupuncture: Cyprus offers these too.

...indeed, an example comes to mind, my brother in law who as a doctor making rounds of the villages would prescribe vitamin pills to the (older) ladies who insisted there was a pill for what ailed them.
User avatar
repulsewarrior
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 12612
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:13 am
Location: homeless in Canada

Re: University of Cyprus establishes medical school.

Postby Londonrake » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:37 pm

To reflect Milti's experiences.

When I lived in London I went to my GP with an ongoing prostate problem. I was referred to a Urologist at the Chelsea and Westminster. To cut a long story short it was about 18 months from seeing the GP, followed by 3 consultations with intervening tests at the hospital before I walked away with a prescription for regular medication.

Fast forward to here. I dropped into the hospital and asked whether I could get an appointment to see a Urologist from reception. After a phone call they basically said "He's in room 28". There, he gave me an exam, including an ultrascan then a note for blood/urine tests the next day. In less than a week I saw him again, at which point I got the cancer all clear and he offered me the option of having an operation to relieve the symptoms of my problem.

Last year I emailed the Med hospital in Limassol on a Monday and asked to see a General Surgeon regarding an umbilical hernia I had. They phoned back with an appointment to see one that following Friday. He gave me his first available slot for an op a month later. Just before that I had a blood and PCR test, plus chest Xray. The PCR cost me €60 and the others so little I wonder why they bother. I had the op, spent one night in a private room and went home the next morning. The whole thing, staff and treatment, was very slick and excellent.

Impossible to find fault.
Londonrake
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4721
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:19 pm
Location: ROC

Re: University of Cyprus establishes medical school.

Postby Pyrpolizer » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:37 pm

Londonrake wrote:To reflect Milti's experiences.

When I lived in London I went to my GP with an ongoing prostate problem. I was referred to a Urologist at the Chelsea and Westminster. To cut a long story short it was about 18 months from seeing the GP, followed by 3 consultations with intervening tests at the hospital before I walked away with a prescription for regular medication.

Fast forward to here. I dropped into the hospital and asked whether I could get an appointment to see a Urologist from reception. After a phone call they basically said "He's in room 28". There, he gave me an exam, including an ultrascan then a note for blood/urine tests the next day. In less than a week I saw him again, at which point I got the cancer all clear and he offered me the option of having an operation to relieve the symptoms of my problem.

Last year I emailed the Med hospital in Limassol on a Monday and asked to see a General Surgeon regarding an umbilical hernia I had. They phoned back with an appointment to see one that following Friday. He gave me his first available slot for an op a month later. Just before that I had a blood and PCR test, plus chest Xray. The PCR cost me €60 and the others so little I wonder why they bother. I had the op, spent one night in a private room and went home the next morning. The whole thing, staff and treatment, was very slick and excellent.

Impossible to find fault.


Don't worry Paphitis will find a fault from one of his visits to Cyprus.
if not he will just buzz us with one of his never ending essays of how much better things are in Holy-Rosy Australia.. :wink:
User avatar
Pyrpolizer
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 12431
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:33 pm

Re: University of Cyprus establishes medical school.

Postby miltiades » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:50 pm

Health its accepted as the most important thing in life. We are lucky to live in Paradise Island where our health is taken care off by our fantastic doctors.The 3 hospitals I experienced were superb and way ahead of the UK ones. By the way, the ....nurses are also very very good.
A Greek nurse , each morning, she spoke little English, would say to me " Good morning.....Vietnam. Another was calling me ...Johnny Walker :lol:
User avatar
miltiades
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 19831
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:01 pm

Re: University of Cyprus establishes medical school.

Postby Lordo » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:40 pm

miltiades wrote:Health its accepted as the most important thing in life. We are lucky to live in Paradise Island where our health is taken care off by our fantastic doctors.The 3 hospitals I experienced were superb and way ahead of the UK ones. By the way, the ....nurses are also very very good.
A Greek nurse , each morning, she spoke little English, would say to me " Good morning.....Vietnam. Another was calling me ...Johnny Walker :lol:

She must have known your drinking habits.
User avatar
Lordo
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 18696
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: softalar, banana republic

Re: University of Cyprus establishes medical school.

Postby Paphitis » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:09 pm

Pyrpolizer wrote:
Londonrake wrote:To reflect Milti's experiences.

When I lived in London I went to my GP with an ongoing prostate problem. I was referred to a Urologist at the Chelsea and Westminster. To cut a long story short it was about 18 months from seeing the GP, followed by 3 consultations with intervening tests at the hospital before I walked away with a prescription for regular medication.

Fast forward to here. I dropped into the hospital and asked whether I could get an appointment to see a Urologist from reception. After a phone call they basically said "He's in room 28". There, he gave me an exam, including an ultrascan then a note for blood/urine tests the next day. In less than a week I saw him again, at which point I got the cancer all clear and he offered me the option of having an operation to relieve the symptoms of my problem.

Last year I emailed the Med hospital in Limassol on a Monday and asked to see a General Surgeon regarding an umbilical hernia I had. They phoned back with an appointment to see one that following Friday. He gave me his first available slot for an op a month later. Just before that I had a blood and PCR test, plus chest Xray. The PCR cost me €60 and the others so little I wonder why they bother. I had the op, spent one night in a private room and went home the next morning. The whole thing, staff and treatment, was very slick and excellent.

Impossible to find fault.


Don't worry Paphitis will find a fault from one of his visits to Cyprus.
if not he will just buzz us with one of his never ending essays of how much better things are in Holy-Rosy Australia.. :wink:


No I do t. I have never been admitted to a Cypriot Hospital - just Australian ones for surgery. I can only speak of my experiences in Australian hospitals.

Plus I don’t have any health issues to need to rely that heavily on health services.

Only one time I had to go to hospital in Cyprus when I cut my hand when I was 12. Had to go to Polis Hospital and I got some stitches. That’s it.

It’s just common sense to me that if you were reliant on the Health System, or had something seriously wrong like Cancer, then my preference would be hands down to receive the care I need in Australia because I believe the doctors to be much better, the level of care to be much better and the hospitals are literally amazing and massive complexes worth Billions of dollars with all the latest equipment abd technology. One hospital serves meals through robots ffs. Robots even bring you the meds and pain relieve with computers automatically recording dosages and what not. :lol:

Ok that’s a downside to an attractive young female nurse. :lol:

Same with America. If there was something seriously wrong, I’d rather be treated in the US because medical practices are advance, they are leaders in Cancer research, probably know what they are doing more than most countries etc etc. There is a reason why people come to America for treatment. It’s just mega expensive and they will take your house afterwards if you are not insured.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 32015
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: University of Cyprus establishes medical school.

Postby Pyrpolizer » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:12 am

Paphitis wrote:
Pyrpolizer wrote:
Londonrake wrote:To reflect Milti's experiences.

When I lived in London I went to my GP with an ongoing prostate problem. I was referred to a Urologist at the Chelsea and Westminster. To cut a long story short it was about 18 months from seeing the GP, followed by 3 consultations with intervening tests at the hospital before I walked away with a prescription for regular medication.

Fast forward to here. I dropped into the hospital and asked whether I could get an appointment to see a Urologist from reception. After a phone call they basically said "He's in room 28". There, he gave me an exam, including an ultrascan then a note for blood/urine tests the next day. In less than a week I saw him again, at which point I got the cancer all clear and he offered me the option of having an operation to relieve the symptoms of my problem.

Last year I emailed the Med hospital in Limassol on a Monday and asked to see a General Surgeon regarding an umbilical hernia I had. They phoned back with an appointment to see one that following Friday. He gave me his first available slot for an op a month later. Just before that I had a blood and PCR test, plus chest Xray. The PCR cost me €60 and the others so little I wonder why they bother. I had the op, spent one night in a private room and went home the next morning. The whole thing, staff and treatment, was very slick and excellent.

Impossible to find fault.


Don't worry Paphitis will find a fault from one of his visits to Cyprus.
if not he will just buzz us with one of his never ending essays of how much better things are in Holy-Rosy Australia.. :wink:


No I do t. I have never been admitted to a Cypriot Hospital - just Australian ones for surgery. I can only speak of my experiences in Australian hospitals.

Plus I don’t have any health issues to need to rely that heavily on health services.

Only one time I had to go to hospital in Cyprus when I cut my hand when I was 12. Had to go to Polis Hospital and I got some stitches. That’s it.

It’s just common sense to me that if you were reliant on the Health System, or had something seriously wrong like Cancer, then my preference would be hands down to receive the care I need in Australia because I believe the doctors to be much better, the level of care to be much better and the hospitals are literally amazing and massive complexes worth Billions of dollars with all the latest equipment abd technology. One hospital serves meals through robots ffs. Robots even bring you the meds and pain relieve with computers automatically recording dosages and what not. :lol:

Ok that’s a downside to an attractive young female nurse. :lol:

Same with America. If there was something seriously wrong, I’d rather be treated in the US because medical practices are advance, they are leaders in Cancer research, probably know what they are doing more than most countries etc etc. There is a reason why people come to America for treatment. It’s just mega expensive and they will take your house afterwards if you are not insured.


As expected.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
Pyrpolizer
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 12431
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:33 pm

Re: University of Cyprus establishes medical school.

Postby repulsewarrior » Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:13 am

Lordo wrote:
miltiades wrote:Health its accepted as the most important thing in life. We are lucky to live in Paradise Island where our health is taken care off by our fantastic doctors.The 3 hospitals I experienced were superb and way ahead of the UK ones. By the way, the ....nurses are also very very good.
A Greek nurse , each morning, she spoke little English, would say to me " Good morning.....Vietnam. Another was calling me ...Johnny Walker :lol:

She must have known your drinking habits.


...she must have known that given a chance, he could be like Johnny Walker, a good chaser you might enjoy straight, or with water on the rocks.
User avatar
repulsewarrior
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 12612
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:13 am
Location: homeless in Canada

Re: University of Cyprus establishes medical school.

Postby miltiades » Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:31 am

What impressed most was the methodical follow up from my Doctor's. I had to undergo a number of tests before having the op. Dr Georgios Evangelou, a Cypriot surgeon, referred me to the Germanico Ongology Hospital for a Pet Scan, he wanted to ascertain that the cancer had not spread to other parts of the body. On the day of my appointment he rung me to remind me !! He did the same a few days later to again remind me of my appointment at the Medittanean Hospital in order to see a Pneumologist as well as a cardiologist.
As most of you may know I do not subscribe to the mythological god etc, but I do have my own religion, HUMANITY. DOXASI OI YIATRI.
Following the operation and the stomach removal, 3 fifths, my weight went down to 56.8 from my pre op of 66 kg.
Yesterday I reached 64 kg. Getting stronger by the day and have acquired the taste of my favourable the beverage. :lol:
User avatar
miltiades
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 19831
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:01 pm

Previous

Return to Internet, Computers and Technology

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests