The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Local football clubs in Larnaca area?

Football, Basketball, F1 etc.

Local football clubs in Larnaca area?

Postby sam9 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:18 am

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone on here could help me. I recently bought a house and am moving to Larnaca in a couple of weeks.

I'm wondering does anyone on here know of any local sides in the area that might be interested in a British player? I'm quite keen to keep training if it is at all possible.

I'm 31 and from the UK. I have played over 250 professional games at League One,Two and SPL level. Any help would be very much appreciated and apologies if this is in the wrong forum.
sam9
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:17 am

Re: Local football clubs in Larnaca area?

Postby Get Real! » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:46 am

These are the closest clubs to Larnaca from division one:

AEK Larnaca (currently 1st)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AEK_Larnaca_F.C.
Notes: Brand new stadium, money pouring in, regular UEFA contenders, very promising, mostly Latinos and Portuguese. Get a job there and you’ve got it made. Comparable strength is probably Newcastle.

Anorthosis Famagusta FC (currently 2nd)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anorthosis_Famagusta_FC
Notes: Historic refugee club, has good loyal support, stable mid range performance.

Alki Oroklinis (currently 9th)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alki_Oroklini
Notes: Historic club up from the 2nd division and doing well in the 1st so far.

Ermis Aradippou FC (currently 11th)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ermis_Aradippou_FC
Notes: The underworld… red cards aplenty, UEFA fines frequent, match fixing common, etc.

Nea Salamina (currently 12th)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nea_Salamis_Famagusta
Notes: Another historic club, always struggles.

The league table...

http://www.livescore.com/soccer/cyprus/ ... n-phase-a/

Good luck mate.
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 41401
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Local football clubs in Larnaca area?

Postby Sotos » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:42 am

First division will probably be difficult... try 2nd division Omonia Aradippou phone number: 00357-24531244
User avatar
Sotos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 11021
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:50 am

Re: Local football clubs in Larnaca area?

Postby sam9 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:26 am

Cheers for the replies, very much appreicated. I actually wasn't speaking about professional teams. After spending 15 years playing, travelling, living away from the family etc I think it's time I prioritise them so just looking for something local, sunday league but appreciate the replies anyway.


Get Real! wrote:AEK Larnaca (currently 1st)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AEK_Larnaca_F.C.
Notes: Brand new stadium, money pouring in, regular UEFA contenders, very promising, mostly Latinos and Portuguese. Get a job there and you’ve got it made. Comparable strength is probably Newcastle.


Just had a look there, very impressive in Europe in recent years but very surprised with the comparison to Newcastle. Is the standard of the first division here comparable with the bottom of the English Premier League? Looks like most AEK players are Spanish Second and Third division journeymen.
sam9
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:17 am

Re: Local football clubs in Larnaca area?

Postby Get Real! » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:57 am

sam9 wrote:I actually wasn't speaking about professional teams.

:roll: Now you tell us...

Is the standard of the first division here comparable with the bottom of the English Premier League? Looks like most AEK players are Spanish Second and Third division journeymen.

I’m pretty sure AEK, Apollon, and APOEL would survive at the bottom of the premier league table without getting relegated.
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 41401
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Local football clubs in Larnaca area?

Postby sam9 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:22 am

Get Real! wrote:
sam9 wrote:I actually wasn't speaking about professional teams.

:roll: Now you tell us...

Is the standard of the first division here comparable with the bottom of the English Premier League? Looks like most AEK players are Spanish Second and Third division journeymen.

I’m pretty sure AEK, Apollon, and APOEL would survive at the bottom of the premier league table without getting relegated.


Hahaha apologies. I thought my casual nature in asking meant that I wasn't looking for anything too serious. I'm sure the professional clubs don't take too kindly to just being phoned up. My bad, I should have been more clear.

I'm not sure what the revenue streams are for Cypriot clubs, I've only ever seen APOEL play but I'm really surprised to hear the standard is in fact that high. Newcastle for example, all their Spanish players were established players and have come from renowned la liga teams like Atletico Madrid, their striker cost them £13m. In a sport where money dictates, a bottom Premier League club has an average attendance somewhere around 20,000 (newcastle's is 50,000) and tv money is around £90m. If AEK could compete against those sort of figures and finances then English football really is in a sorrier state than I believed.
sam9
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:17 am

Re: Local football clubs in Larnaca area?

Postby Get Real! » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:46 am

sam9 wrote:I'm not sure what the revenue streams are for Cypriot clubs, I've only ever seen APOEL play but I'm really surprised to hear the standard is in fact that high. Newcastle for example, all their Spanish players were established players and have come from renowned la liga teams like Atletico Madrid, their striker cost them £13m. In a sport where money dictates, a bottom Premier League club has an average attendance somewhere around 20,000 (newcastle's is 50,000) and tv money is around £90m. If AEK could compete against those sort of figures and finances then English football really is in a sorrier state than I believed.

On Tuesday…

Spurs 5 - 2 Southampton

A month ago…

Spurs 3-0 APOEL

Everton 2-2 Apollon

What’s the difference between the top CY teams and your bottom teams in terms of results? I don’t see any...

It’s nothing to do with British teams going bad and everything to do with other countries slowly catching up to you.
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 41401
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Local football clubs in Larnaca area?

Postby sam9 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:57 am

Get Real! wrote:On Tuesday…

Spurs 5 - 2 Southampton

A month ago…

Spurs 3-0 APOEL

Everton 2-2 Apollon

What’s the difference between the top CY teams and your bottom teams in terms of results? I don’t see any...

It’s nothing to do with British teams going bad and everything to do with other countries slowly catching up to you.


Bristol City beat Man United, doesn't mean they're better than them or would even compete over the course of a season. I haven't seen anyone bar APOEL so you fellas know more than me but I did watch the Dortmund v APOEL game and it was ridiciliously one sided, something like 30 shots to APOEL's 3. It ended up 1-1. The Champions League is designed to help the so called 'weaker' nations qualify, it keeps all the teams from the big leagues (4th in England, Spain, Germany etc) away from the lower ranked teams. Qualification to the Champions League doesn't really indicate they would compete in one of the top 5 leagues.

Again, I'm not criticising the Cypriot league. I'm looking forward to going along as a fan and getting behind it. I'm just surprised Cypriot teams could compete on a fraction of the budget of a Premier League team. If it is the case then English clubs are idiotic not to be scouring Cyprus for players and managers every Summer.

Just so we're clear, I hate what tv money has done to our game. I'm not defending the Premier League by any means.
sam9
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:17 am

Re: Local football clubs in Larnaca area?

Postby Get Real! » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:50 pm

sam9 wrote:Bristol City beat Man United, doesn't mean they're better than them or would even compete over the course of a season. I haven't seen anyone bar APOEL so you fellas know more than me but I did watch the Dortmund v APOEL game and it was ridiciliously one sided, something like 30 shots to APOEL's 3. It ended up 1-1. The Champions League is designed to help the so called 'weaker' nations qualify, it keeps all the teams from the big leagues (4th in England, Spain, Germany etc) away from the lower ranked teams. Qualification to the Champions League doesn't really indicate they would compete in one of the top 5 leagues.

Again, I'm not criticising the Cypriot league. I'm looking forward to going along as a fan and getting behind it. I'm just surprised Cypriot teams could compete on a fraction of the budget of a Premier League team. If it is the case then English clubs are idiotic not to be scouring Cyprus for players and managers every Summer.

Just so we're clear, I hate what tv money has done to our game. I'm not defending the Premier League by any means.

The Cypriot clubs shop wisely… they go find players in Brazil, Africa and similar places where the pay sucks. These players are only too happy to move to Europe where they’re guaranteed some games and often group stage in European tournaments every year, whereas most of the British clubs will never make EL/CL.

sam9 wrote: I did watch the Dortmund v APOEL game and it was ridiciliously one sided, something like 30 shots to APOEL's 3. It ended up 1-1.

Results are results... Dortmund had two chances to beat APOEL but failed to win in both. You reckon the likes of Sunderland, Bolton, or Birmingham would beat the aggressive Apollon? I doubt it!
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 41401
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Local football clubs in Larnaca area?

Postby sam9 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:08 pm

Get Real! wrote:The Cypriot clubs shop wisely… they go find players in Brazil, Africa and similar places where the pay sucks. These players are only too happy to move to Europe where they’re guaranteed some games and often group stage in European tournaments every year, whereas most of the British clubs will never make EL/CL.

Results are results... Dortmund had two chances to beat APOEL but failed to win in both. You reckon the likes of Sunderland, Bolton, or Birmingham would beat the aggressive Apollon? I doubt it!


I'm not sure. I just think it's odd that if these players are better than what is in the Championship in England, that they don't all end up there.

The only real indicator we have is money, and lets face it players follow money, it's a short career. Just had a quick look and the average wage bill for the top 5 in Cyprus is €2,000,000. I understand there is more from CL and Europa League bonuses' but that's the base. Bear in mind there's also big bonuses for cup runs and promotion in England. The bottom 6 in the Premier League average wage bill is €75m. For the Championship it's €27m and for League One it's €5m.

I'd be very surprised if a player in Cyprus was good enough for the Championship but was happy to accept €200,000 a year instead of going to the Championship where he would be likely on €1,000,000+. As I said, a short career
sam9
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:17 am

Next

Return to Sports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest