The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Are there big spiders in the apartments in cyprus?

Ask any specific question related to Cyprus.

Are there big spiders in the apartments in cyprus?

Postby Henrik » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:10 pm

I am thinking about moving to cyprus. But my biggest concern is spiders. Cyprus seem to have some big ones (my concern is not if they are dangerous or not). Honestly how realistic is it that i will find one in a apartment in central larnaca?
Henrik
Trial Member
Trial Member
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:03 pm

Re: Are there big spiders in the apartments in cyprus?

Postby cyprusgrump » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:36 am

Henrik wrote:I am thinking about moving to cyprus. But my biggest concern is spiders. Cyprus seem to have some big ones (my concern is not if they are dangerous or not). Honestly how realistic is it that i will find one in a apartment in central larnaca?



I think the odds are in the spider's favour....

Don't see them very often but they do pop-up in the house every now and again...
User avatar
cyprusgrump
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8182
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:35 pm
Location: Pissouri, Cyprus

Re: Are there big spiders in the apartments in cyprus?

Postby Londonrake » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:07 pm

Other than the "normal" sort of household/garden spider, in my 12 years of living here I've never seen anything of the more unusual kind that live here outside of a specimen jar and have never met anyone who's claimed to. :wink:
Londonrake
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3047
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:19 pm
Location: ROC

Re: Are there big spiders in the apartments in cyprus?

Postby Henrik » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:50 pm

cyprusgrump wrote:
Henrik wrote:I am thinking about moving to cyprus. But my biggest concern is spiders. Cyprus seem to have some big ones (my concern is not if they are dangerous or not). Honestly how realistic is it that i will find one in a apartment in central larnaca?



I think the odds are in the spider's favour....

Don't see them very often but they do pop-up in the house every now and again...



Just to clearify, while i do not like any spider, no matter what size, but with big i mean like huntsman, tarantella. Do you see them indoors in the city? Spiders can be found everywhere, but not big like that.
Henrik
Trial Member
Trial Member
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:03 pm

Re: Are there big spiders in the apartments in cyprus?

Postby Kikapu » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:18 pm

Spiders are your friend. They eat all the other unwanted insects in your home.
User avatar
Kikapu
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16592
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:18 pm

Re: Are there big spiders in the apartments in cyprus?

Postby Londonrake » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:45 pm

Henrik wrote:Just to clearify, while i do not like any spider, no matter what size, but with big i mean like huntsman, tarantella. Do you see them indoors in the city? Spiders can be found everywhere, but not big like that.


In my experience you will not find any sort of spider in your home here than in most of Europe. I've never come across anything exceptional in our garden or garden buildings either. If you suffer from arachnophobia then it wouldn't be any worse here than probably where you are right now (you don't say).

In the distant past I spent a couple of months living in the Central American jungle and even there you'd be hard pressed to find one - unless you deliberately went looking. Like snakes they have an aversion to people and frankly I don't blame them. :lol:
Londonrake
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3047
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:19 pm
Location: ROC

Re: Are there big spiders in the apartments in cyprus?

Postby Kikapu » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:12 pm

I have seen many times tarantulas at the Grand Canyon National Park wondering around minding their own business. They are not the man killing insects you see in the movies. :D
User avatar
Kikapu
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16592
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:18 pm

Re: Are there big spiders in the apartments in cyprus?

Postby Henrik » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:34 pm

Londonrake wrote:
Henrik wrote:Just to clearify, while i do not like any spider, no matter what size, but with big i mean like huntsman, tarantella. Do you see them indoors in the city? Spiders can be found everywhere, but not big like that.


In my experience you will not find any sort of spider in your home here than in most of Europe. I've never come across anything exceptional in our garden or garden buildings either. If you suffer from arachnophobia then it wouldn't be any worse here than probably where you are right now (you don't say).

In the distant past I spent a couple of months living in the Central American jungle and even there you'd be hard pressed to find one - unless you deliberately went looking. Like snakes they have an aversion to people and frankly I don't blame them. :lol:


I live in sweden, there is nothing like tarantella or huntsman here, but there is still plenty of small to medium size spiders.

Good to know that the big ones seem to be very rare to see.:)

Yeah they are shy, but many spiders like houses, and if they are in the house or apartment, you will likely see it sooner or later. If you have a huge tarantella in your apartment, then i think it will be hard for it to stay hidden forever.

I would be scared of humans to if i was a spider.:) Sometimes humans scare me even as a human myself.
Henrik
Trial Member
Trial Member
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:03 pm


Return to Cyprus Questions and Answers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests