The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Turkey is bankrupt

Feel free to talk about anything that you want.

Re: Turkey is bankrupt

Postby erolz66 » Sat May 02, 2020 4:55 pm

Kikapu wrote:You may well be correct, Erol, however, if the supplies were a donation in the form of “aid” from Turkey, did it really require an “export license” considering there had already previous aid made by Turkey to the UK few days earlier which was delivered by Turkish military aircraft. It would make more sense if the supply was bought by the UK, in which case an export license would have been required more than likely, hence the RAF collecting the supplies.

Was there not the same argument used by some Turkey backed TC politicians in the north when the RoC made some medical supply donation in response to Covid-19 which Akinci accepted it, but was argued that there were export/import violations by Akinci’s Turkey backed oppositions in the north after the fact?

The question is, are there any import/export license violations when it comes to humanitarian aids gifted by one nation to next?


I am not saying that the aid PPE supplies Turkey has made to various countries is not in any way 'cynical' or 'political'. I think they are both in many ways and to significant degrees. That is also true of all such things from all countries to others to some degree as well. like Cuban doctors to SA and the US telling SA to not accept such.

I was talking about one specific set of deliveries from Turkey to UK that dominated UK headlines for a few days last week. This was not 'aid'. This was PPE kit that the UK had sourced from a Turkish supplier. A Minister announced that this aid was 'on its way' when in reality they order had just been agreed with supplier but neither the supplier nor the UK government had even started the export process when the announcement was made. RAF transports planes were dispatch to collect the supplies and then had to wait at Turkey. Really as I read it there was no real delay at all. All there was in this instance was a minister shooting the gun on the announcement, something he had been warned not to do, leading to 3- 4 days of pointless argument and discussion and media furore over who's fault the delays were when in fact there never really was any delay in first place. Like

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... oronavirus
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... AGAIN.html
erolz66
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4104
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: Turkey is bankrupt

Postby Kikapu » Sat May 02, 2020 5:16 pm

erolz66 wrote:
Kikapu wrote:You may well be correct, Erol, however, if the supplies were a donation in the form of “aid” from Turkey, did it really require an “export license” considering there had already previous aid made by Turkey to the UK few days earlier which was delivered by Turkish military aircraft. It would make more sense if the supply was bought by the UK, in which case an export license would have been required more than likely, hence the RAF collecting the supplies.

Was there not the same argument used by some Turkey backed TC politicians in the north when the RoC made some medical supply donation in response to Covid-19 which Akinci accepted it, but was argued that there were export/import violations by Akinci’s Turkey backed oppositions in the north after the fact?

The question is, are there any import/export license violations when it comes to humanitarian aids gifted by one nation to next?


I am not saying that the aid PPE supplies Turkey has made to various countries is not in any way 'cynical' or 'political'. I think they are both in many ways and to significant degrees. That is also true of all such things from all countries to others to some degree as well. like Cuban doctors to SA and the US telling SA to not accept such.

I was talking about one specific set of deliveries from Turkey to UK that dominated UK headlines for a few days last week. This was not 'aid'. This was PPE kit that the UK had sourced from a Turkish supplier. A Minister announced that this aid was 'on its way' when in reality they order had just been agreed with supplier but neither the supplier nor the UK government had even started the export process when the announcement was made. RAF transports planes were dispatch to collect the supplies and then had to wait at Turkey. Really as I read it there was no real delay at all. All there was in this instance was a minister shooting the gun on the announcement, something he had been warned not to do, leading to 3- 4 days of pointless argument and discussion and media furore over who's fault the delays were when in fact there never really was any delay in first place. Like

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... oronavirus
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... AGAIN.html


Then what you say is correct, since the supply was bought from Turkey and not an aid from Turkey and there were no delays. It did not stop Turkey presenting it as an aid however to the media, even if it was done in the mildest way for the reader to assume it as an aid when titles like “Turkey sends 2nd plane loads of supply to the UK to fight Covid-19 in the Turkish media.
User avatar
Kikapu
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 15304
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:18 pm

Re: Turkey is bankrupt

Postby Maximus » Sun May 03, 2020 1:55 am

Turkey reported a widening trade deficit in April

Down to minus $5.39B

Now, it might not look that bad compared to 2011, when it was at its lowest in history. But the Lira was about 1.60 to the Dollar then.

Today its worth 7 to the Dollar. Todays Lira is worth 23% of what it was worth a decade ago..... :shock:

in terms of TRY, the deficit was minus 16 billion TRY in 2011.

About minus 27 billion TRY in 2018

Today the deficit is minus 37.73 billion TRY.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Maximus
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 5723
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: Turkey is bankrupt

Postby Maximus » Wed May 06, 2020 10:51 pm

The Turkish Lira made a new all time low today.

7.20 to the Dollar.

nearly a 20% devaluation since the start of the year and the downward pressure will continue.

I see it going closer to 7.50 - 8.00, by the end of the year.

IF she cant secure a bail out, she will be defaulting soon.

This is the result of Erdo's long line of political and economic follies..

The paid AKP propagandists are out at work in the comments section.
https://www.ft.com/content/1136d9bb-a01 ... 9d00a54bfa
Maximus
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 5723
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: Turkey is bankrupt

Postby Jery » Thu May 07, 2020 11:46 pm

Apparently much of the PPE sent from Turkey is sub-standard, UK wants replacements or its cash refunded.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52569364
Jery
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:38 pm

Re: Turkey is bankrupt

Postby erolz66 » Mon May 11, 2020 9:45 am

Here's to hoping

Coronavirus economic shocks could prove catalyst for Erdoğan's political decline


https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... e-to-blame
erolz66
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4104
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: Turkey is bankrupt

Postby Maximus » Mon May 11, 2020 7:04 pm

Seriously,

things could be so much better without him but Turkeys track record suggests more of the same even after he is gone.
Maximus
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 5723
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: Turkey is bankrupt

Postby Cap » Mon May 11, 2020 7:29 pm

Please stop it.
We don't care.
Nobody cares.
We have our own problems.
User avatar
Cap
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7217
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:55 pm
Location: Cypriot Empire

Re: Turkey is bankrupt

Postby erolz66 » Mon May 11, 2020 7:47 pm

Maximus wrote:Seriously,

things could be so much better without him but Turkeys track record suggests more of the same even after he is gone.


My take , fwiw, which is not much I know, is that the AK party has been a 'story of 2 halves' for Turkey and the Turkish people. The first 7-8 years of AK party majority rule actually achieved many positive things imo, for the mass of ordinary normal Turks. It was in many ways and on many levels 'progressive' and 'stable' compared to the prior decades of minority / coalition rule seen before it. It did in the first 7-8 years or so achieve 'floating' the TL and achieved a remarkable degree of stability for the currency in that first period, relative to that achieved prior. Along with real material economic improvement for the 'majority' as well as for a tiny minority. For pretty much my whole life up till 2001-2 ish , visiting cyprus (post 74) meant visiting a place where nothing changed at all , year after year and decade after decade, other than how many 0's were on the end of the TL fo each pound changed. Hyper inflation , serious hundreds and even 1000 + of a % per annum, was the normality back then. That all actually changed with the AK party first coming to power and to my mind remarkable change was achieved by them for a considerable period after - 7 - 8 years before there really was much movement again in the TL. I see a similar pattern on a whole host of fronts in same period. I think real gains were made in early years of AK party re normalising standards on things like human rights and in rolling back the power of the deep state in Turkey - something that did need to be done and that was considered impossible prior to the rise of AK party. What changed to my mind, around the same period, about half way in to their rule to date, was the ascendancy and primacy of Erdogan as 'supreme leader' and cult of Erdogan. As this increased much if not most stuff started turning to shit imo. So over all I do not see the AK party itself as having been a 'blight' nor do I believe it is inevitable that anything that comes after Erdogan will be as bad or worse than him. It might be but it might not be. I am an inherently hopeful person is so many ways and on so many levels.
erolz66
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4104
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: Turkey is bankrupt

Postby erolz66 » Mon May 11, 2020 7:50 pm

Cap wrote:Please stop it.
We don't care.
Nobody cares.
We have our own problems.


I care about 'Turkey' in the same way I care about any 'stranger' that lives in proximity to me and whose actions affect me. I care about Cyprus and UK in the same way I care about myself or my brother or mother. Personally I can do both simultaneously without much conflict or problem ?
erolz66
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4104
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest