The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Australian Women's World Cup win

Football, Basketball, F1 etc.

Australian Women's World Cup win

Postby Paphitis » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:45 am

I just thought it was interesting to see how different countries vote for bids on major sporting events.

Australia came up against Columbia.

Now I can understand geographical voting blocks. That seems a valid reason for one country to support another if they are from the same continent. Such as Brazil for instance supporting Columbia along with other countries in the Americas doing the same. Good on them too.

But a few voting patterns have me perplexed. Such as Cyprus supporting Columbia. It seems like a no brainer that everyone else would support Australia - given the sporting facilities we have and other infrastructure which is ready to go. Best stadiums in the world. Also, given Australia's record with Chy-na Virus. It's probably the best in the world, shoulder to shoulder with South Korea for sure. as a result, probably a much safer country than Columbia at all levels.

One other country that really stunned me, this time voting for Australia, was Chy-na! yeh, they voted for Australia's bid. So did Taiwan which isn't surprising given Australia's support for Taiwan internationally.

The UK, voted for Colombia. So what gives UK?

I suppose you don't want that free trade deal with Australia after all. :lol:

Just interesting... :?

Cyprus and UK, you're both fired! 8)

UK kiss that FTA good bye!

Cyprus, the next time you bid for the World Championship in skittles or backgammon, don't be expecting Australia's vote! :lol:

Anyway, such a big win for Australia which means more Soccer infrastructure for us in a sport that is the fastest growing with the highest participation rate. It's going to do wonders for the sport in Australia.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 26758
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Australian Women's World Cup win

Postby yialousa1971 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:17 am

Sport is for idiots, who wants to watch some naggers kicking a ball around. I would rather watch some Koalas playing football. :lol:

User avatar
yialousa1971
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 6081
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:55 pm
Location: With my friends on the Cyprus forum

Re: Australian Women's World Cup win

Postby Paphitis » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:12 am

Hope you never have kids Yialousa because sport is an extremely important part in their development. Teaches them so many things such as discipline, teamwork, fitness and well being.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 26758
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Australian Women's World Cup win

Postby Kikapu » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:55 pm

Australia is too far away from major soccer playing nations.
User avatar
Kikapu
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 14996
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:18 pm

Re: Australian Women's World Cup win

Postby Paphitis » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:35 am

Kikapu wrote:Australia is too far away from major soccer playing nations.


Colombia is far away from Europe too.

I just can't see any logic in the voting patterns of countries. I can understand countries like Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Bolivia and so on supporting Columbia because there is a geographical advantage for them to vote for their neighbor. I can also understand countries like Canada and USA supporting their fellow Association member in Colombia. Fair play as far as I'm concerned.

I can also understand countries like Japan, Taiwan, Singapore voting for the Australian bd. Also fair play to them. Although appear surprised how Chy-na put politics aside and voted for Australia. Maybe the geographic reasons for them to do so far outweighed not doing so.

But countries like UK, and Cyprus (there are some others). Bearing in mind that the Scandinavian Countries voted for the Australian bid. So did Italy and Switzerland.

Biut back to the UK and Cyprus. hey voted for Colombia. A country that has quite a few problems. Their infrastructure is poor compared to Australia. They have more crime than Australia. Plus they are out of control with Chy-na Virus whereas Australia isn't out of control - thus it's a no brainer that Australia is a far safer and logical choice.

And yet Cyprus and UK voted for Columbia. Did they get paid? :lol:
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 26758
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Australian Women's World Cup win

Postby Kikapu » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:30 am

Paphitis wrote:
Kikapu wrote:Australia is too far away from major soccer playing nations.


Colombia is far away from Europe too.

I just can't see any logic in the voting patterns of countries. I can understand countries like Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Bolivia and so on supporting Columbia because there is a geographical advantage for them to vote for their neighbor. I can also understand countries like Canada and USA supporting their fellow Association member in Colombia. Fair play as far as I'm concerned.

I can also understand countries like Japan, Taiwan, Singapore voting for the Australian bd. Also fair play to them. Although appear surprised how Chy-na put politics aside and voted for Australia. Maybe the geographic reasons for them to do so far outweighed not doing so.

But countries like UK, and Cyprus (there are some others). Bearing in mind that the Scandinavian Countries voted for the Australian bid. So did Italy and Switzerland.

Biut back to the UK and Cyprus. hey voted for Colombia. A country that has quite a few problems. Their infrastructure is poor compared to Australia. They have more crime than Australia. Plus they are out of control with Chy-na Virus whereas Australia isn't out of control - thus it's a no brainer that Australia is a far safer and logical choice.

And yet Cyprus and UK voted for Columbia. Did they get paid? :lol:


No place is as far as Australia/New Zealand are from major soccer playing nations.

When is it anyway, because for the foreseeable future, until Covid-19 is under control, there won’t be any major events taking place, including the already postponed Olympics in Japan 2021.
User avatar
Kikapu
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 14996
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:18 pm

Re: Australian Women's World Cup win

Postby Paphitis » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:38 am

Kikapu wrote:
Paphitis wrote:
Kikapu wrote:Australia is too far away from major soccer playing nations.


Colombia is far away from Europe too.

I just can't see any logic in the voting patterns of countries. I can understand countries like Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Bolivia and so on supporting Columbia because there is a geographical advantage for them to vote for their neighbor. I can also understand countries like Canada and USA supporting their fellow Association member in Colombia. Fair play as far as I'm concerned.

I can also understand countries like Japan, Taiwan, Singapore voting for the Australian bd. Also fair play to them. Although appear surprised how Chy-na put politics aside and voted for Australia. Maybe the geographic reasons for them to do so far outweighed not doing so.

But countries like UK, and Cyprus (there are some others). Bearing in mind that the Scandinavian Countries voted for the Australian bid. So did Italy and Switzerland.

Biut back to the UK and Cyprus. hey voted for Colombia. A country that has quite a few problems. Their infrastructure is poor compared to Australia. They have more crime than Australia. Plus they are out of control with Chy-na Virus whereas Australia isn't out of control - thus it's a no brainer that Australia is a far safer and logical choice.

And yet Cyprus and UK voted for Columbia. Did they get paid? :lol:


No place is as far as Australia/New Zealand are from major soccer playing nations.

When is it anyway, because for the foreseeable future, until Covid-19 is under control, there won’t be any major events taking place, including the already postponed Olympics in Japan 2021.


You might want to tell that to the Aussies because as far as they are concerned, it's going ahead, along with the Australian open, Grand Prix, Australian football League, and tyhe National rugby League.

That's the thing, the Aussies believe they have it under control.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 26758
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Australian Women's World Cup win

Postby RichardB » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:20 pm

Maybe GB and Cyprus were the ones that voted fairly as the women's world Cup has yet to be hosted by a South American nation. I see that China has hosted the finals twice... Maybe the Aussies voted for those and the Chinese returned the favour?
User avatar
RichardB
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3542
Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 9:48 pm
Location: Blackpool/Lefkosia

Re: Australian Women's World Cup win

Postby Paphitis » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:53 pm

RichardB wrote:Maybe GB and Cyprus were the ones that voted fairly as the women's world Cup has yet to be hosted by a South American nation. I see that China has hosted the finals twice... Maybe the Aussies voted for those and the Chinese returned the favour?


True. That could be real.

Australia probably did vote for the Chy-nese bids and maybe the Chy-nese FA has a good relationship with the Australian FA and are returning the favour. Not an unreasonable scenario at all.

Yes, Columbia have never hosted, but neither have Australia and NZ. Australia is what I call a developing soccer nation with the sport gaining ground year after year. It isn't impossible that in a decade or 2 from now, Soccer will be the most popular spectator sport which makes Australia World Cup bid loss a few years ago a major blow for the sport on this continent. The men's World Cup in Australia would have been a catalyst for Australia but sadly, the QATAR bid was proven to be rigged. Australia's World Cup bid cost the Australian FA $55 million. They plan to bid again, despite all the negativity about FIFA corruption.

If soccer becomes the most popular sport in Australia, then the Australian Football league (A League) will be destined to be one of the best leagues in the world, worth several hundreds of millions of dollars, because Australians back their teams financially, buy memberships and because sport in Australia is highly corporatized.

The Women's World cup will also bring about progress but obviously not anywhere near as much as the Men's tournament. Australians by their nature are quite sports mad, so will jump to watch any major event such as a Soccer World Cup. And once they come once, they get hooked and take a more active interest.

But given that Australia hasn't hosted a world cup before, it surely places us as the exact same boat as Columbia (at least for the Women's sport).

As a result, I would have thought that Australia's Stadia, clean and peaceful cities, and success in containing Chy-na Virus, should ordinarily be the vote clincher and attract the Cypriot and UK votes.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 26758
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Australian Women's World Cup win

Postby RichardB » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:26 pm

Paphitis wrote:
RichardB wrote:Maybe GB and Cyprus were the ones that voted fairly as the women's world Cup has yet to be hosted by a South American nation. I see that China has hosted the finals twice... Maybe the Aussies voted for those and the Chinese returned the favour?


True. That could be real.

Australia probably did vote for the Chy-nese bids and maybe the Chy-nese FA has a good relationship with the Australian FA and are returning the favour. Not an unreasonable scenario at all.

Yes, Columbia have never hosted, but neither have Australia and NZ. Australia is what I call a developing soccer nation with the sport gaining ground year after year. It isn't impossible that in a decade or 2 from now, Soccer will be the most popular spectator sport which makes Australia World Cup bid loss a few years ago a major blow for the sport on this continent. The men's World Cup in Australia would have been a catalyst for Australia but sadly, the QATAR bid was proven to be rigged. Australia's World Cup bid cost the Australian FA $55 million. They plan to bid again, despite all the negativity about FIFA corruption.

If soccer becomes the most popular sport in Australia, then the Australian Football league (A League) will be destined to be one of the best leagues in the world, worth several hundreds of millions of dollars, because Australians back their teams financially, buy memberships and because sport in Australia is highly corporatized.

The Women's World cup will also bring about progress but obviously not anywhere near as much as the Men's tournament. Australians by their nature are quite sports mad, so will jump to watch any major event such as a Soccer World Cup. And once they come once, they get hooked and take a more active interest.

But given that Australia hasn't hosted a world cup before, it surely places us as the exact same boat as Columbia (at least for the Women's sport).

As a result, I would have thought that Australia's Stadia, clean and peaceful cities, and success in containing Chy-na Virus, should ordinarily be the vote clincher and attract the Cypriot and UK votes.


I certainly wouldn't disagree with your synopsis here Paphitis and would definitely agree with you re the Qatari bid.
As you say neither nation has hosted a world Cup before but as to why Cyprus and the GB voted for Columbia and not Australia, I don't think its anything sinister. I reckon they just judged each bid on its merits. Or as I'm sure we realise a lot of "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" goes on during these bids.
Hey maybe its revenge for your lot giving us null points in the euro vision song contest. (what's that about anyway??? are you Aussies wannabe Europeans or what??)
Anyway you won the bid so from your point of view alls well that ends well.
User avatar
RichardB
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3542
Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 9:48 pm
Location: Blackpool/Lefkosia

Next

Return to Sports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests