The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


anyone interested in astronomy?

Feel free to talk about anything that you want.

Re: anyone interested in astronomy?

Postby Londonrake » Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:56 am

James Webb telescope completes epic deployment sequence https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-59914936

.
Londonrake
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4052
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:19 pm
Location: ROC

Re: anyone interested in astronomy?

Postby Londonrake » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:35 am

Londonrake
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4052
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:19 pm
Location: ROC

Re: anyone interested in astronomy?

Postby Lordo » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:57 pm

Instead of looking out, they should first stop destroying the planet we do have FFS.
User avatar
Lordo
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 17500
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: softalar, banana republic

Re: anyone interested in astronomy?

Postby repulsewarrior » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:23 pm

...an invasion biologist speaks up.

https://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Incr ... n_999.html

...and if life is found on another planet, how will we be sure it is an indigenous life form, and not from a previous visit?
User avatar
repulsewarrior
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 11825
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:13 am
Location: homeless in Canada

Re: anyone interested in astronomy?

Postby Londonrake » Thu May 12, 2022 4:46 pm

The Monster at the centre of our galaxy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-61412463

.
Londonrake
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4052
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:19 pm
Location: ROC

Re: anyone interested in astronomy?

Postby Kikapu » Thu May 12, 2022 5:31 pm

Londonrake wrote:The Monster at the centre of our galaxy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-61412463

.


So, what we are seeing in this Black Hole which is at least 26,000 years ago, therefore, it is possible it has already “burned out”. :wink:

The other puzzling thing is, if the gravitational pull of the Black Holes is so strong which even light cannot escape it, then how can we even see it 26,000 years later since the light won’t reach us as it is swallowed by the Black hole? :wink:
User avatar
Kikapu
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 17190
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:18 pm

Re: anyone interested in astronomy?

Postby Londonrake » Thu May 12, 2022 5:49 pm

Kikapu wrote:
Londonrake wrote:The Monster at the centre of our galaxy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-61412463

.


So, what we are seeing in this Black Hole which is at least 26,000 years ago, therefore, it is possible it has already “burned out”. :wink:

The other puzzling thing is, if the gravitational pull of the Black Holes is so strong which even light cannot escape it, then how can we even see it 26,000 years later since the light won’t reach us as it is swallowed by the Black hole? :wink:


Black holes don't burn out. In that sense view them perhaps as being a bit like Paphitis. :D :wink:

The light seen is due to the effects of the hole on surrounding space.

I believe it was postulated long ago that there's a giant black hole at the centre of all galaxies. Thus the characteristic swirling, vortex appearance.

If so it's odd, that the creation of life should ultimately depend upon something so malevolent and destructive. Easy to think of it perhaps as - divine?
Londonrake
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4052
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:19 pm
Location: ROC

Re: anyone interested in astronomy?

Postby Lordo » Thu May 12, 2022 7:04 pm

Londonrake wrote:
Kikapu wrote:
Londonrake wrote:The Monster at the centre of our galaxy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-61412463

.


So, what we are seeing in this Black Hole which is at least 26,000 years ago, therefore, it is possible it has already “burned out”. :wink:

The other puzzling thing is, if the gravitational pull of the Black Holes is so strong which even light cannot escape it, then how can we even see it 26,000 years later since the light won’t reach us as it is swallowed by the Black hole? :wink:


Black holes don't burn out. In that sense view them perhaps as being a bit like Paphitis. :D :wink:

The light seen is due to the effects of the hole on surrounding space.

I believe it was postulated long ago that there's a giant black hole at the centre of all galaxies. Thus the characteristic swirling, vortex appearance.

If so it's odd, that the creation of life should ultimately depend upon something so malevolent and destructive. Easy to think of it perhaps as - divine?

Black holes do not create life.
User avatar
Lordo
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 17500
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: softalar, banana republic

Re: anyone interested in astronomy?

Postby Londonrake » Thu May 12, 2022 7:22 pm

Lordo wrote:Black holes do not create life.


I do sometimes wonder L, if there's absolutely anything you can't turn into an argument :lol: (Remember? :wink: )

It's of course theoretical physics but a fairly widespread view seems to be that Black Holes are a fundamental and vitally necessary mechanism for the formation of galaxies. The rest following on - sorta thing.

So - yes - they appear to be a core component in life creation, in an indirect sense. Everything seems to have a purpose in the universe it appears to me.
Londonrake
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4052
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:19 pm
Location: ROC

Re: anyone interested in astronomy?

Postby Lordo » Thu May 12, 2022 9:54 pm

It seems to me it is part of destruction. Creation is taking place elsewhere. where the big bang took place. Perhaps the two are connected in a loop, who knows?
User avatar
Lordo
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 17500
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: softalar, banana republic

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest