The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Halloumi

Feel free to talk about anything that you want.

Postby sal » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:15 pm

Brilliant - thanks for the suggestions everyone. Yeah Halloumi can be a little like polystyrene but I still like it. And never had with bacon - sounds good. The lemon/oregano variation that Ercales recommends is how it says on the packet to do it so I've done that and I like that too.

Nigella Lawson (buxom celebrity chef over in UK) does a cool recipe where she roasts chopped up peppers, red onion and sweet potato in some oil and herbs and then at the end layers halloumi over it and grills. That's a good wintery one and a bit different.

x
sal
Member
Member
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:54 am

Postby raymanuva » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:23 pm

I dont understand where u r getting your squeeky halloumi, but i think you are talking about Supermarket ones :)
Try getting the ones from the village... i think they only sell those in Frout Markets. There is no packaging, its in the jar.
User avatar
raymanuva
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1102
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 7:28 pm

Postby cyprusgrump » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:41 pm

raymanuva wrote:I dont understand where u r getting your squeeky halloumi, but i think you are talking about Supermarket ones :)
Try getting the ones from the village... i think they only sell those in Frout Markets. There is no packaging, its in the jar.

Village is undoubtedly better than the supermarket stuff but I still don’t like the texture.

Anari (?) the second fermentation of it is lovely when dried and used in place of parmesan.
User avatar
cyprusgrump
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8182
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:35 pm
Location: Pissouri, Cyprus

Postby hunter » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:23 pm

lol squeaky cheese......

hell you think my mum thought me a squeaky kid???

what a bummer!!!!!
User avatar
hunter
Member
Member
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:21 am

Postby cyprusgrump » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:45 am

hunter wrote:lol squeaky cheese......

hell you think my mum thought me a squeaky kid???

what a bummer!!!!!

Were you squeaky clean? :?
User avatar
cyprusgrump
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8182
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:35 pm
Location: Pissouri, Cyprus

Postby Eliko » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:14 pm

Excellent as a poultice over a painful swelling !. :) :) :) :) :)
User avatar
Eliko
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3068
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:48 pm
Location: Cyprus

Postby devil » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:48 pm

Mine is a simple tomato salad. For 2 persons:
Take 300 g of ripe freshly-picked cherry tomatoes from your garden and quickly wash and drain them well.
Cut them in half and place in a small bowl.
Add 150 g of fresh halloumi, diced to the same size as the tomatoes.
Add 4 sprigs of freshly picked basil leaves, rinsed, shaken dry and scissored into 1 mm wide strips
Add salt (unless the halloumi tastes very salty) and a good dose of freshly ground black pepper
Add 3 tablespoons best quality extra virgin olive oil
Leave for 3 hours in fridge before serving: and don't forget to drink the oil, it's deeeeelishus!

If you have no cherry tomatoes, you can use the Italian (long, oval) ones, sliced into 5 mm slices, but never try it with those big, watery, horrible supermarket ones, which are an abomination unto mankind; you would just waste the other good ingredients.
devil
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1536
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:33 pm

Postby sal » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:07 pm

devil wrote:Mine is a simple tomato salad. For 2 persons:
Take 300 g of ripe freshly-picked cherry tomatoes from your garden and quickly wash and drain them well.
Cut them in half and place in a small bowl.
Add 150 g of fresh halloumi, diced to the same size as the tomatoes.
Add 4 sprigs of freshly picked basil leaves, rinsed, shaken dry and scissored into 1 mm wide strips
Add salt (unless the halloumi tastes very salty) and a good dose of freshly ground black pepper
Add 3 tablespoons best quality extra virgin olive oil
Leave for 3 hours in fridge before serving: and don't forget to drink the oil, it's deeeeelishus!

If you have no cherry tomatoes, you can use the Italian (long, oval) ones, sliced into 5 mm slices, but never try it with those big, watery, horrible supermarket ones, which are an abomination unto mankind; you would just waste the other good ingredients.


Thank you for your recipe Devil! I can only dream of picking tomatoes from my own garden. My apartment with no garden in the city centre doesn't allow for such luxuries - hey maybe one day. Looks like it's farmers market toms for me!

xx
sal
Member
Member
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:54 am

Re: Halloumi

Postby repulsewarrior » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:13 pm

...six million kilograms of it, that needs eating; suggestions?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-25/ ... /100648660
User avatar
repulsewarrior
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10878
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:13 am
Location: homeless in Canada

Re: Halloumi

Postby Pyrpolizer » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:30 pm

repulsewarrior wrote:...six million kilograms of it, that needs eating; suggestions?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-25/ ... /100648660


I don't think the article is true RW. I am buying directly from producers, 5-7 Kg every 2-3 months, I personally like the matured ones, and rarely find any in stock.
User avatar
Pyrpolizer
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10684
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:33 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests