The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content

which developer did you buy from & would you recommend t

Feel free to talk about anything that you want.

Postby simonwjones » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:45 pm

simonwjones
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Kikapu » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:21 pm

Svetlana wrote:Forgive me GG, but conning people is rife in the property development industry here. Potential buyers are constantly misled. But it does not stop there.

Corruption is rife in the Planning Departments and Municipalities. A number of officers who grant planning permission in Paphos are currently suspended. To get Building Permits/Planning Permissions granted here requires a bribe; complain and your application gets put to the bottom of the pile.

The law requires application for Building Permits are to be dealt with in 3 months or less; without a brown envelope it does not happen in less than a year - so everyone pays up; complain to the official at your peril.

One of the laocal Mukhtars is a big football fan; each year he gathers together all the developers and asks if they would like to make a 'donation' to the local football team, before, of course, he goes on to consider the Planning Applications!

I could go on....

Lana

Thanks for being so honest with the corruption within the Building Permit deparment in Cyprus. This is the kind of stuff that happens in third world countries, including Turkey, but I can't believe, after 2 years being in the EU, stuff like this still goes on. Usually, corruption is wide spread within the Government, if it exists in certain departments, there is a good chance it is everywhere. Unfortunately, when there is corruption within the Government, it spills down to businesses amongst the citizens, down to common people in some way or form. It's time to root these people out from their positions. It requires a strong leadership from the President, for this to happen.
Kikapu
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Postby simonwjones » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:06 pm

If we pick a reputable company i'm sure all the fun and games above wont happen!
simonwjones
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby cyprusgrump » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:26 am

With all due respect Simon you are at the very start of the process – just paid a deposit yes?

I wonder if you will be so willing to recommend your developer at the end?
cyprusgrump
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Postby GG » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:53 pm

The whole system of buying or building a place in cyprus is so different to elsewhere and and often the buyer is from a country where everything is straighforward and official like the UK, USA, Germany etc.

Lets not confused disorganised and ineffective with corrupt. They are nearly all unorganised, corrupt are few.
GG
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Svetlana » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:29 pm

Examples:

Land
Buyers are shown one piece of land but their purchase contract is for another.
Buyers purchase plots of land without access becasuse they failed to check their rights.
Buyers are mislead about zoning and building density.

Off Plan Buying
Buyers of off plan property are promised: 'they will never build in front of you' ..oh yes!
Internal design are changed without consultation.
Plot and covered area sizes do not match those claimed.
Buyers are not told about outstanding mortgages on developments.
Developers take out mortgages on land, after selling the builds making it almost impossible for the owner to subsequently seel their homes.
Developers hold on to Title Deeds to use as collateral for further loans.
Developers hold onto Title Deeds so that they can charge exorbitant Cancellation Fees.
Developers charge Immoveable Property Tax, when non is applicable.

Lana
Svetlana
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Postby simonwjones » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:40 pm

cyprusgrump wrote:With all due respect Simon you are at the very start of the process – just paid a deposit yes?

I wonder if you will be so willing to recommend your developer at the end?

Yes, you are correct, I am at the early stage Mr Grump. The good thing about our project is the developer is UK based and based in the same town as where I work. So if there are any queries I can go round and talk to them. I am lucky I guess.
simonwjones
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby ClaireAnne » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:01 pm

The best way to secure yourself with a property from a developer is to find one who can prove the land he is or has built on is not mortgaged,
ClaireAnne
Trial Member
Trial Member

Postby Hazza » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:17 pm

Surely a solicitor can find this info out for you??
Hazza
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Svetlana » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:21 pm

Anyone can go to the Land Registry and find if there is a mortgage on a plot or development. But now it appears developers can take out a mortgage on land after they have sold the properties being built on it.

I know of one case where a developer did this as an act of revenge on his customers who had taken out a law suit against him!

Lana
Svetlana
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat